Fitness In The Navy

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by El_Pongito, Apr 20, 2007.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Evening all, this is my first post here, so you'll have to bear with my newbieness (I think I just invented a new word!).

So, just to fill you gents in on my background before I fire my barrage of questions: I'm currently a 21 year old Electrician Driver in the TA (Basically the guy who repairs the generators and rewires everything when the kettle/TV breaks down in the field). My nautical experience basically amounts to taking the ferry to Ireland!

Anyways, I am seriously considering joining the Navy full time as an Engineering Technician (Marine Engineering). I was just wondering what kind of fitness standards there are in the Navy. The Navy's recruitment website seems to take a wide berth (no pun intended :roll: ) around the subject of fitness, so I thought it best to ask here.

The only time the website refers to ANY physical training at all is, "During the selection process you will also have to do a fitness test in which you have to complete a 2.4km run within a set time." I presume this is the same as the Army's physical test in which you have to do the 2.4km(1.5mi) in ten minutes, then a shedload of pushups and situps, right?

I wouldn't imagine the Navy has to perform loaded marches and assault courses, or am I wrong on this? Applicants are advised to do some phyical training before arriving at phase one training, so I would presume you get a beasting during training?

Apologies for the rambling nature of my questions, but I was just wanted to know the facts about physical training in the Navy, as I was concerned by the fact the recruitment website seems to try and avoid mentioning this subject. I am not particularly fit (although I manage to meet TA standards) and I dislike PT. In fact, I am of the opinion that the devil is a PTI.

Thanks in advance for any replies!
  2. AFAIK it's 1 1/2 miles in 11 1/2 mins, 20 push ups and sit ups.
  3. Not quite, dublin

If you're male under 25 the scores required are as follows
    1.5 mile (2.4 km) run in 11 min 13 sec
    23 pressups
    39 situps

You do a pre-joining fitness test, which is a 1.5 mile run that has to be done in 12 mins 24 sec I think.
  4. Welcome Pongito,

Dunkers has given you the info. The standards are also on the RN website here:

You need to navigate well down into the site. From the top menu bar take the following menu options:

Training & People - RN Today - Training - HMS Raleigh - RN Recruit School - Before You Join

And you should get the required standards of fitness. Not as physical as the Army for obvious reasons, but if you can maintain the TA fitness, you should have few problems.
  5. Hombre ponquito
    Before I joined the Navy I was as fit as a flea and use to walk the 12 miles to work and back each day; aside from sleeping I hardly ever stopped moving.
    Once out of basic/trade training I was stunned by the lack of activity. So much so that my insides seized up due to lack of exercise. There are very few opportunities for serious physical activity on a warship.
    Every single opportunity I got to escape from the ship would be a welcome opportunity to get some exercise.
    On a ship which works 24hrs a day you have to be conscious of disturbing others sleep so cannot go crashing about the place, at least that is the principle, in practice it doesn't quite work out that way.
    Qualquire te escoges lo disfrutar.
  6. So let me get this straight, I need to be at this standard of fitness at the END of phase one? I could easily manage this now, so this is very reassuring to hear!

My main concern (and this is embarrasing for a grown man to admit) is that I can't swim to save my bloody life (literally! :lol: ) . Having checked out the link that TattooDog so graciously provided, I discovered this link.

Well bugger me, I didn't think I would have to be able to swim. I understand that we're losing another ship every day to budget cuts, but I didn't think we would have to resort to doing the breast stroke around the world's oceans!

Seriously though, I've not got a chance in hell of swimming even 40 inches in a soaked through grow-bag. I'm going to have to go to a bloody health centre and get some condescending lifeguard to teach me to swim, ain't I?

Thanks for your patience so far, gents.
  7. el, not sure how it goes over in the UK, but i would seriously consider swallowing your pride and getting some swimming lessons. Imagine if you get in, you're walking around on deck in rough seas, get knocked overboard, and can't keep afloat long enough for the rescue helicopter to get to you.
  8. No worries El-Pongito....I could not swim on joining Raliegh but was given extra lessons and soon got the hang of it.
  9. I completely understand the logic behind it, mate. I was naïve to think being as bouyant as a brick wouldn't be an issue in the Navy.

Thanks for the reassurance, Striling, but I'd rather learn to swim in civvy-street and avoid the hassle of cutting into my own time with swimming training, while the rest of the lads are off getting pished

Ahh damnit, I'll ring up the swimming baths tomorrow and see how much some one-on-one tuition will set me back.

So how much of a beasting am I in for on phase one and two, PT-wise?
  10. Judging from your first post you are already pretty not sweat is not as bad as you think.
  11. Pongito,

As the others have advised, swimming lessons at a civvy pool are a good idea - taking swimming lessons at Raleigh cuts down the amount of time you could be doing other things.

I suppose being able to swim in the RN makes sense - you never know when you may have to keep yourself afloat.
  12. If i was not lied to whilst in the URNU (on this part anyway I'm busy forgetting lots of stuff i was taught before I joine BRNC), The royal navy swim test is based off a very real set of conditions.

Should you fall of the side of your ship you need to be able to swim far enough away from the ship to not get sucked under by the props and then tread water long enough for the ships boat to come fish you out of the sea.

Ending up dead because you were to embarrassed to go to a swimming pool to learn to swim properly is a crappy way to go.

Also learn before you go, part one training is hard enough (or so i have been told) without getting yourself remedial PT in your down time
  13. Take the guys advice! I have always been able to swim well but my running has been an issue. I am not a porker but as most ladies find, shifting my ass pounding the groud is real trouble. I listened to the guys on here and have managed to improve my run time by 3 mins in 4 weeks, and advance 2.5 levels on the Bleep. Good luck. x
  14. Having seen the pictures of our Leading Female Seaman, i wouldn`t worry about it too much.
  15. When I was in the mob fitness tests didn't exist. We had a leading airman
    who must have weighed 20 stone, he was killick of the mess and a b rilliant air mechanic . He could piss up with the best of then but , 23 push ups - never
  16. So my dad was telling the truth- all RN ladies have to have fat injected in their ass...

I like my ass.. sniffle
  17. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

Not true- we only let the fat-ass ones get taken hostage.
  18. Phew!
  19. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

Well done mate, if that's truly a picture of you then my wife is history!
    But seriously, keep your sense of humour & keep yourself fit. Hate to say it, but Dad's right.
  20. Not in yet!! Keep your fingers crossed- I have my AIB in 1O days!

You wouldn't want me as a wife. My dad told me I have grown into the kind of woman his mother always told him to keep away from- messy and flighty.