Fitness in Raleigh.

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by tuts, Nov 5, 2009.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi all, I had my interview today (passed whey!). And I've been told that once in Raleigh, I'll be expected to run 5 miles under 45 minutes. Is this correct? Only one of my friends has just completed phase 2, and said he didn't have to do this. I only ask, because I'll start running a bit further. I normally only run around 4 miles.

Thanks in advance (no abuse please!)
  2. Oh dear.

Run a bit further regardless. Then some more.
  3. What are people coming to these days?
  4. Pusser has always insisted on Jack being fleet of foot, with or without the encumbrance of layers of clothing.

This is to ensure that the next generation of baby sailors can still hot-foot it/do a runner/be away on their toes whenever the ship's siren calls for their immediate return aboard to sail and fight for the Queen and Country.

Any side effects, such as individual fitness & well-being, are merely a bonus for the Taxi-using but impecunious individual....
  5. I wont even bother worring about the fitness at basic training, take each day as it comes.
  6. Well done.

We're all so proud.
  7. I suppose I actually expected someone to tell me if this was the case or not. I should have known better at my age!

Thanks for that.
  8. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

Damn, I was just about to answer the query too... :wink:
  9. I'm not a lazy bar steward honest! I practice martial arts nearly never day, and it's very intricate, so there's a lot to get through. I do go running also. And I'd go as far as to say 'I've got a high level of fitness, especial for my age and gender'. What I'm trying to get at is, 'I don't want to practice for something thats not going to happen'. I'm boarding on over training as it is! Also (now I'm not complaining about this, because I like the crack as much as the next person) nearly every question I ask, weather it be from friends currently serving, or people on RR, I seam to be getting my leg pulled. I know I'm bordering on doing everyone's head in. But I would be grateful if I someone can just answer my question please.

I would have started a thread called "dropping the soap in the showers", if I really wanted a fight.
  10. Nurse..I'm having visions again!!!!!!
  11. Wrecker, your cards are marked mate. Not long now :D :D :D
  12. Can't wait my 'lil MILF :thumbright:
  13. A high level of fitness and you have only ran 4 miles?

Here is what I recommend for an average level of fitness.

Run, at 7 min/mile pace, for all distances and stop doing runs at the same distances its no good.

Run for 2 miles, 4 miles, 5, 7 or 10 just throw it about abit.

Get some circuits done and pump a few weights or atleast do household exercises.
  14. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

Oh, OK then: During phase one training there is the possibility of having to run distances up to about 5 miles, and to this end the better your cardio-vascular fitness upon arrival at HMS Raleigh, the easier you will find it.

If you follow the pre-joining fitness programme religiously (on the RN website or available from your AFCO), you'll be fine. If you don't, you will make training uneccessarily difficult.

OK, you can start another thread in Lils now...
  15. Deano, I only normally run for fun. I've never really timed myself running, or pushed myself for that matter. I'm a good level of fitness at different things. As I've said, the martial arts I do is very interact, and it involves the use of weapons, kicking, forms, throwing, grappling, board breaking, sparing..... And the list goes on. So your right, running 4 miles isn't a high level of fitness. But in other areas I am. I don't need to use any weights because 'weapons practice' is enough for me! I can do it, and thanks very much for your tip, I'll most definitely try it! I was only asking because I've got enough things to practice.
    What's 'household excercies'? Does that involve being in charge of the remote control. If so I've not got a hope in hell!

Ninja, thanks once again. I'll move over to Lils now, and 'really' make a rod for my own back!
  16. Haha you wish mate.

Ummm just your press ups / sit ups / pull ups / dips ect.
  17. I wish what?

I'm not trying to have a dick measuring exercise with you. You would only win, hands down!
  18. "What's 'household excercies'? Does that involve being in charge of the remote control. If so I've not got a hope in hell!"

You wish.. lol