Fitness Help - Embarassing.

Discussion in 'Health & Fitness' started by RhysHar, Jul 12, 2013.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Right, I have to be completely upfront and honest on this one.
    I'm 17, and I'm studying at Sixth Form. I have applied to join the Royal Navy as a Logistics Officer.

I have my medical on the 30th, and I've heard fitness is within 28 days of that.

I don't have any qualms about the medical, but I am very concerned about the fitness test. I cannot run 1.5 miles in 11 minutes and I'm actually nowhere near. I'm not fat, just particularly unfit for some reason.

Do I go speak to my CO and ask him to leave the test for a few months? Or do I risk it and hope for the best? Really stuck guys!
    • Like Like x 1
  2. That sounds like the very obvious answer, and believe me, I've tried. I just don't know how to break down the barrier my lungs are putting up every single time I run.
  3. Get a heart rate monitor and use it properly to train according to your fitness level. You can then train to what your heart is actually doing rather than what you think your lungs are telling you.
  4. What I usually do is just set the treadmill to 13.1KM/H and run for as long as I can. Am I doing it wrong? Any better suggestions?
  5. Obviously I don't know your background, but you sound a bit like you might not be 'School Sportsman of the Year'. If you are so out of breath, then maybe you need to learn to breath properly. I always hated running - as in running, not running around during a rugby match. I learnt to if not like, at least tolerate running by cracking the breathing.

For me it is/was - start running then breathing through the mouth, two breaths in and two breaths out. Sort of 'suck, suck, blow, blow......suck, suck, blow, blow' - the least you can do is give it a try. Just concentrate on the breathing until it becomes second nature.

Good luck!
  6. You have that nailed to a tee. I used to play football for many years at a fairly high level and never had brilliant stamina then. I stopped about 2 years ago and it's obviously contributed to me becoming unfit. I'm gonna try your breathing technique and i'm gonna hope I make it!
  7. Start slow, and gradually build up. But start now.
  8. Thanks for the advice guys.

Joining the Navy really means the world to me as it's what I've always wanted to do, and I don't want to be let down on that by my fitness.

I'm gonna work as hard as I can from now until my medical, then I'm gonna go and speak to my CO and see what he can advise.
  9. Make your trainers part of your skin. Train as much as you can. Mix it up. Swimming, running, cycling, springing, 5- a side etc. It will soon happen.
    • Like Like x 2
  10. Signed up today and already received brilliant support!
    I play 6 a side on a Thursday, I've bought some swimming goggles and I've got some shorts so I'll try swimming next week, and I'll try and go for one of the dreaded runs.

This sounds weird, but I enjoy running on ground and hate running on treadmills. Anyone else find that?
  11. wave_dodger

wave_dodger War Hero Book Reviewer

There is some good advice here, also consider using a concept rowing machine - start for a short period 5min and try and build it up. It helps stamina and aerobic conditioning, alternate days of running with a row/cycling/stepping day.
  12. Interval training, circuits, find a running buddy. Start slower (8 km.h-1) and build up. End on a sprint for 2 mins (15 km.h-1). Good luck.
  13. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

The alternative to doing something about it, is just asking your ACLO to pop around with a "magic fitness suppository" for your butler, FFS.
    • Like Like x 1
  14. I would advice you to do some interval training twice a week start of slow and get faster and each week reduce the time of walking/slow jogging and then go for a 3 mile run once or twice a week to sort out your rhythm. Swimming helps as well.
  15. So you've always wanted to join the Navy but never had the foresight to find out what the joining requirements were or prepare yourself adequately?

Fine officer material.
  16. Nooooo, not the fitness suppository!!:eek:mg:
  17. You also gave yourself some excellent advice - why are you on a tread mill in this weather. You will get better training outside and it will be less boring. If you can do the times running properly you will certainly be able to do it on the machine. The only times I ever run on a treadmill is when I am on a ship because I am not keen on running in circles and tripping over deck fittings.
  18. This was me a few weeks ago. Swimming and cycling...unstoppable. Running and I was close to death! But after forcing myself to run every other day. Varying between 1km and 10km at whatever speed I find comfortable at the time I've cracked it. Not confident I'll run it on a treadmill, I hate treadmills! But if I can run it outside my theory is I just have to do it that once on a treadmill and it'll be all good. It is possible, I started off with a 15:40 time, I'm now on 12:20 and getting better...which for a girl with my backside is amazing! Good luck!

Posted from the Navy Net mobile app (Android / iOS)
  19. Have a look if there is a parkrun near you. It's free event every saturday, it's a timed 5k run by volunteers all you have to do is register for free on print of your barcode and go along and take part. They scan your bar code at the end and publish the results not long after.

I do the one in Plymvalley. It's a nice sociable event.

Cakes and coffee afterwards too
  20. best thing for a cardio workout is if you are using a treadmill run 1 mile every day and try to better it you soon will,if you are out side same run a distance approximitly one mile and just better it every time .....