Fitness booklet

Discussion in 'Health & Fitness' started by tanter, Apr 18, 2013.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. So I have been given the pre-joining fitness booklet for Raleigh, and told to fill it in, but that was all I was told. How exactly should I fill it in? Just tick the exercises, or put the dates I did them on?
  2. lol. Have you got a pen? This is a joke right?:laughing3:
  3. Doubt it. They're just worried about filling it incorrectly and getting shafted for it at raleigh, if it's the same as the fitness booklet i got then there are no 'obvious' places to mark and date.

To the thread starter, i am still applying myself so not sure i am afraid- i would assume that's all you can really do though? (tick and date)
    • Like Like x 1
  4. With bold script using the widest magic marker you can find.
    • Like Like x 1
  5. Fair one Rachel, I suppose youngsters may be a tad nervous about getting it right.

Tangent though - why do so many kids start their post with 'So'? Very odd.
  6. Yeah, although it seems a silly question it's natural to be worried and want to do everything correctly when potentially there could be reprecussions for not doing so. i was training someone at work once and they were nervous and asked if people could borrow the books. I worked in a library...

Sooooo...i blame the film 'clueless' entirely for the introduction of so to the beginnings of questions and other places it does not gramatically fit.
  7. The only space available to fill out in the booklet is in the 'achieved' box which is in the training programme section.

I'd imagine you would put a yes or no in the achieved box when you do the specific activity for that day.
  8. just train
  9. Doesn't really answer the question...
  10. Can't you phone the AFCO and ask ? Font have mine yet do cant help :-(
  11. I put WHAT I achieved in the box...

For example, if the exercise is run as far as I can, I put the distance I could run for.
    If it is tread water, I put how long I was able to tread it for.
    If it was do a timed run, I put how long I took.

I understand the feeling of wanting to not look silly.
    Rather look silly here asking the question then look silly when you turn up at Raleigh.
  12. Is it a guide for yourself or a mandatory form that must be complete for your application? I got something similar when I joined in 2004 and I don't think it saw the light of day once I got home from the AFCO. Unless its essential paperwork for your application I wouldn't bother with it. Just concentrate on swimming, running the 2.4km as fast as you can and a lot of bodyweight exercises like push ups, sit ups, squats and pull ups.

Posted from the Navy Net mobile app (Android / iOS)
  13. I believe it is just a guide. At the start of my application I was only given a bootie fitness poster, now I'm pretty much at the end of the application process and nothing has been said or implied that I need to fill out a booklet
  14. I think you'll find this is indeed a guide at what you will be expected to achieve. If there are no boxes / spaces to include day / dates then presumably they are not required; so if it says "Run a Marathon" it doesn't require the answer "tick" London 2013 ... only that in runnig a marathon it is going to help you achieve a reasonable level of fitness. So in essence ... its a guide to achiving a state of fitness and lists such exercise which will help you achieve the level required.
  15. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

The Pre Joining Fitness Programme has an 8 week fitness programme commencing on page 12:

The idea is you initial and date the blank space next to the word "achieved". The book is then taken with you to HMS Raleigh and produced if requested as evidence that you have completed the programme. If it isn't requested, it can be useful for insulation in one's loft.
  16. tiddlyoggy

tiddlyoggy War Hero Book Reviewer

"So" and "Hey" to start sentences, and "Enough already". Just three of the most annoying Americanisms ruining our beautiful language.
    • Like Like x 1
  17. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

The "So" prefix as a sentence starter is pretty much endemic nowadays, and the sentence makes complete sense without it. I've noticed it is frequently used on the BBC News channel by "subject experts" and I've no doubt it's seen as trendy in the world of "management speak" and have already noticed a lot of Naval Officers using this rather irksome opener.
    • Like Like x 1