Fishery Protection Squadron

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by gregleeds, Dec 21, 2011.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. So there's not much out the on the internet about the fishery protection squadron, apart from what they do generally. It something I could be interested in, just want to know if anyone knows anything about it?
    I think that the squadron is recruited from mine sweepers but I'm not sure how. Is there a certain period of employment or a test? What do the overall duties include? What is the normal working pattern? Usually 6-9 months away like everyone else? Is it competitive?
    I have a biology degree and stuff like this does interest me and I'm joining as a muppet so maybe this could be a route I take seriously.
    Like I said I really have no idea about any of this so I'm basically just asking for any information anyone knows?
    Thanks

2. I don't know much about modern FP craft but I did it on the Brave Swordsman where it's speed caught out a lot mostly French in the Channel.
    They were upset to say the least which worked for me.
    The other FP vessels were minelayers who had no hope of catching illegal vessels and the only biology we had was with the women ashore!
    One claimed his family had a charter, which he produced, from Charles 1st giving him rights to fish in UK waters.
    We took him in,off he went to court with his crew to claim his right,he lost,his gear was confiscated and we went around to his boat and looted several bottles of brandy,wine and whatever else he had in liquor.
    Entente Cordial! and Good luck anyway.

3. I was in the Fishery Protection Squadron. It's not just muppets. They only do inshore fishery protection. The OPV's i.e River Class do the main fishery protection working with DEFRA or whoever they are called now.

The ships do an East coast Patrol and a West coast patrol. The boardings are carried out by an boarding officer (usually an officer on board) and an ABO who is usually coxswain, skippers steward or the writer on board. The other ratings on board don't really do the fish boardings.

Working routines very at sea man power dependant. You come along side every so often for a standoff (a few days)

Also come alongside when arrests have been made. We once arrested an Anglo-Spanish for illegally fishing and had a few days in Milford haven. It was a cracking bonus run ashore. Remember it's not the place that make the run ashore it's the runners.

I'm not 100% but I'm sure they run a 5th watch system on the OPV's now. So one watch is on leave and course whilst others at sea.

You used to have to be recommended to get on the OPV's but not anymore

Every turn of the shaft is a new adventure. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. Thanks gents that actually pretty interesting. So who works the OPV's then? |Did you find it as fulfilling as other jobs in the mob?

5. tiddlyoggy

tiddlyoggy War Hero Book Reviewer

There are no muppet billets on River Class OPV's. The routine on them is 3 watch manning working 4 weeks on and 2 weeks off. MCM's do sometimes do fishery protection though.
    It strikes me as very unusual for someone with a degree to join up as a muppet of all branches.

6. Tiddleyoggy, I think someone was misold the branch!

7. I loved the life of the small ships. We were such a little family. When went a shore the whole ship went a shore including the skipper except of course the duty watch.

It did have it's dull moments but it's different the bigger ships, different routines etc.

I never had the luxury of the one in 3 watches as tidds described. Due to man power shortage, firemen strikes and the gulf kicking off. We only had at one point 28 out of the 40 ships company on board at sea.

I wasn't doing my main trade but I still loved being Nav's Yeo, QM and Boat Coxswain all I wasn't doing was Radar Operating and Weapon Engineering which were my trades

8. tiddlyoggy

You're not suggesting that the nice man in the AFCO wasn't particularly honest are you?

Tommo, 3 watch manning isn't for everyone, believe me. I quite liked it as it gives you a slightly better degree of stability than big ship routines but my Mrs never liked it at all, she swears blind she saw more of me when I was on big ships than during 3rd watch time.

9. I'll have to take your word on that as I've never experienced it on Fish.

I still haven't been round a River Class yet. I don't know anyone on them now for a call round. Two oppos I was with on the Anglesey that were on the River's are no longer on there. One gone on draft to civiship and the other is resting in peace from a brain tumour he got whilst on the Severn. Pinky Floyd was a killick chef and he was good on small ships RIP

10. tiddlyoggy

They're very comfortable ships to serve on, 2 man, en-suite cabins throughout, which, because of the watch manning you have to yourself for half of the time anyway, smart messes too. A lot of the young lads get bored doing fish though.

11. Haven't done fish for at least five years on hunts-thank god.

12. I didn't mind it to be honest, I think the ships company helped that though. Plus I got plenty of fishing off the arse end done as well.

The trouser leg patrol I admit was a ball ache. I came up with pranks and other things to do to keep myself occupied though :)

13. Oh the irony.
    You can`t fish here, disregard that bloke on the back of ours.

Good skills.

14. Fish is pish.

15. tiddlyoggy

As a young man, I probably would have agreed with you. However, having seen most of the world now and being well and truly sick of deploying I find that it suits me in the twilight of my career.

16. Fair does. I wish I'd seen the world, I've just seen Bahrain and Salalah!

17. It comes with time, you'll be fine.

18. Well, as a T23 and MCMV chap, there isn't much else to see. Globals and WIndies have pretty much gone, unless you're lucky enough to get one of the random trips. The Falklands is pretty much the only one left, and having been based in Faslane for 2 years, I'm not in a hurry!

19. Far East, Global and Fish Deployments done. I was lucky I guess lol

20. They are the guys who catch the spanish over fishing in our seas and then pass it onto Brussels for them to do nothing about it.