Fishery protection squadron

Knife123

Can anyone give me some insight into what it’s like onboard an offshore patrol vessel? Any current info would be helpful ty in advance

Sumo

War Hero
Can't help last time I did fishery protection, arresting the Spanish was in the late 1970's

bollotom

War Hero
I was FPS in 1961, hopefully the OPVs will be better sea boats and more comfortable than the Blackwoods. Now, laddie, pull up a bollard ... :cool:

Anchor Faced

Lantern Swinger
I went aboard a batch-1 when it was alongside recently.

It is no secret it is built to civvie standards so there are stairs not ladders, there is small-ship mentality (it is a little more relaxed in feel but dont get me wrong it is still RN). It isn't kitted out like a larger vessel, but it does what it is designed to do. Due to the UK Waters way they have historically been used, it is never away from the wall for terribly long so might be good for family orientated people but it TBC by the crew rotations.

Accomodation looks fairly generous, yes.

Knife123

I’ve been asking around and have heard good things so far, will be great for me am 30+ with family at home. It’s my first ship so feel pretty lucky getting on a small vessel

Polly

Midshipman
Can't help last time I did fishery protection, arresting the Spanish was in the late 1970's
I left the squadron in 1988 and we were still chasing the Spanish but weren't allowed to arrest them because of some political s**t.

I think my old ship, the Anglesey has been sold off to Bangladesh or something.

But life was good on small ships. I remember having much more bunk space and the messes were nice. What the new ships are like I wouldn't know, sorry.

Got to go to some of the smaller civvy ports too that normal naval ships don't get to which I always felt was a plus. Sunderland is a great night out :)

Dusty70

Lantern Swinger
I was a PO on the Bulldog - joined straight from Argonaut so came as a shock especially at night - no lookouts and on autopilot - cost the RN a fortune in replacing lobster and fishing nets ( although when the fishermen knew we were there some of them put out their old nets and then claimed new ones when we went through them (or not)) - but conditions after a Leander were sumptuous - 2 man cabins, massive mess for 7 SRs and JRs had a really good mess as well - because we had a sonar in an inflatable bubble underneath we weren't allowed out in anything over a force 5 (I think) - great great days

Waspie

War Hero
Last time I worked with a OPV it was in the North Sea in a gale winching down some of the RM's Shhhhh people for an op. It was surely bouncing around a lot. Would put it down as one of the hairiest winching sorties I have done. In fact had not been an op I dare say we would have aborted, the deck was moving around so much.
Good luck on your small ship!!! Quells I believe are good for motion sickness!!!