Fishery protection squadron

Knife123

Can anyone give me some insight into what it’s like onboard an offshore patrol vessel? Any current info would be helpful ty in advance

Sumo

War Hero
Can't help last time I did fishery protection, arresting the Spanish was in the late 1970's

bollotom

War Hero
I was FPS in 1961, hopefully the OPVs will be better sea boats and more comfortable than the Blackwoods. Now, laddie, pull up a bollard ... :cool:

Anchor Faced

Lantern Swinger
I went aboard a batch-1 when it was alongside recently.

It is no secret it is built to civvie standards so there are stairs not ladders, there is small-ship mentality (it is a little more relaxed in feel but dont get me wrong it is still RN). It isn't kitted out like a larger vessel, but it does what it is designed to do. Due to the UK Waters way they have historically been used, it is never away from the wall for terribly long so might be good for family orientated people but it TBC by the crew rotations.

Accomodation looks fairly generous, yes.

Knife123

I’ve been asking around and have heard good things so far, will be great for me am 30+ with family at home. It’s my first ship so feel pretty lucky getting on a small vessel

Polly

Midshipman
Can't help last time I did fishery protection, arresting the Spanish was in the late 1970's
I left the squadron in 1988 and we were still chasing the Spanish but weren't allowed to arrest them because of some political s**t.

I think my old ship, the Anglesey has been sold off to Bangladesh or something.

But life was good on small ships. I remember having much more bunk space and the messes were nice. What the new ships are like I wouldn't know, sorry.

Got to go to some of the smaller civvy ports too that normal naval ships don't get to which I always felt was a plus. Sunderland is a great night out :)

Dusty70

War Hero
I was a PO on the Bulldog - joined straight from Argonaut so came as a shock especially at night - no lookouts and on autopilot - cost the RN a fortune in replacing lobster and fishing nets ( although when the fishermen knew we were there some of them put out their old nets and then claimed new ones when we went through them (or not)) - but conditions after a Leander were sumptuous - 2 man cabins, massive mess for 7 SRs and JRs had a really good mess as well - because we had a sonar in an inflatable bubble underneath we weren't allowed out in anything over a force 5 (I think) - great great days

Waspie

War Hero
Last time I worked with a OPV it was in the North Sea in a gale winching down some of the RM's Shhhhh people for an op. It was surely bouncing around a lot. Would put it down as one of the hairiest winching sorties I have done. In fact had not been an op I dare say we would have aborted, the deck was moving around so much.
Good luck on your small ship!!! Quells I believe are good for motion sickness!!!

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
gregleeds Fishery Protection Squadron Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 23
M Fishery Protection Squadron Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 12
MoD_RSS Applications sought for the English fully documented fishery (FDF) scheme/s for 2020 MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: Applications open for an English fully documented fishery (FDF) scheme MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: Royal Navy prepares for future UK fishery patrols MoD News 0
Stirlin McAfee virus protection. Bloody Computers 5
MoD_RSS Permanent protection from higher tax for military personnel in Scotland MoD News 0
MoD_RSS New sanctions regime among push to boost protection for persecuted religious groups MoD News 0
MoD_RSS UKEF expands protection against non-payment for UK exporters MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Extra protection for businesses with ban on evictions for commercial tenants who miss rent payments MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Complete ban on evictions and additional protection for renters MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Updated data protection impact assessment template and guidance launched MoD News 0
MoD_RSS UN Human Rights Council 43: UK statement for the Interactive Dialogue with the Special Rapporteur on the Promotion and Protection of Human Rights and MoD News 0
MoD_RSS UK-backed Anti-Human Trafficking Child Protection Unit opened at the Kenyan Coast MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Andrew Tyrie: closer to consumers – competition and consumer protection for the 2020s MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Andrea Coscelli: closer to consumers – competition and consumer protection for the 2020s MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Defuse the ‘weather bomb’ with better protection and stronger resilience says Environment Agency Chief Executive MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Sweden joins UK ocean protection campaign MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Secretary of State announces re-appointment of Independent Reviewer and Chair of the Northern Ireland Committee on Protection MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Crime news: stalking protection orders and claiming for work MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Government asks Ofcom to promote investment and improve protection for consumers in telecoms market MoD News 0
MoD_RSS The United Kingdom – a leader in climate protection MoD News 0
vauxhall Public Consultation on Legal Protection for Armed Forces Personnel Serving Abroad on Operations The Quarterdeck 1
MoD_RSS Greater flood protection for Newark residents as project ends MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Protection for flights and road transport after Brexit reaffirmed MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Portable protection barriers for Troops MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Elections and protection of healthcare workers and civilians in DRC MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: Work on water protection scheme at Lynemouth nearing completion MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: Vaccine for older adults gives significant protection against flu MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: Market Exploration: Innovation in Aircrew Protection MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: Spotlight on child protection in family courts MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: Estuary wildlife of the River Tees gets increased protection MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: PHE conference spotlights innovations in public health protection MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: Isle of Axholme to benefit from £35m flood protection investment MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: Protection from tax hikes extended for military personnel in Scotland MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: Essex haven for nature gets new protection MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: Government backed Stalking Protection Bill receives Royal Assent MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: Drivers to receive greater protection against rogue private parking operators MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: UK takes step forward in global marine protection MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: Foreign Secretary affords Nazanin Zaghari Ratcliffe diplomatic protection MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: Strengthened protection for Essex and Suffolk countryside MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: Payment Protection Insurance (PPI) claims and the Official Receiver MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: Data Protection and Brexit - Is your organisation prepared? MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: Strengthened protection for Poole Harbour's unique range of wildlife MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: Flood protection event for North East town MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: Stronger protection from violence for NHS staff MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: Greater protection for renters thanks to plans to tighten tenant safety MoD News 0
soleil Mail: Royal Navy Keeps Old Offshore Patrol Ships It Was Due To Retire For Post-Brexit Coastline Protection The Fleet 1
MoD_RSS Press release: Dstl to develop Active Protection System technology MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: Active Protection for our Armed Forces MoD News 0