Discussion in 'The Fleet Air Arm' started by walterglancy, Nov 16, 2007.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. which carrier took on the first jet powered aircraft
  2. I havent got a clue but anyway i think it was HMS Ark royal i probaly wrong or i am wrong
  3. In response to your actual question (the name of this thread) the answer is Sea Vampire, 3rd Dec 1945 flown by Lieutenant Commander Eric Melrose (Winkle) Brown.
  4. Oh, the ship?
    HMS Ocean ;)
  5. I got the answer by asking google the question!
    This is the site I used, got some nice photos if you are interested :)
  6. sgtpepperband

sgtpepperband War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

Uh-oh... "WALT"erglancy asked a question about a plane flown by a Lt Cdr. Please don't tell me our learned friend is back... 8O
  7. I suggest reading "Wings on My Sleeve" by Winkle Brown. It was republished last year with all the secret bits added back in and it is a good read. Probably Britains best ever pilot.
  8. Does it really matter?
    It was quite an interesting question.
  9. No, no Lamri poppet an interesting question is more like:-

"Would you like this muffin?"
    "Can I buy you that handbag you have been lusting over?"
    "Would you like a payrise not to leave for the other job you have been offered"
    "Hello this is George Clooney, will you marry me?"
    "Does this new fringe make me look silly?"
  10. Couldn't agree more, good book written about one of the pioneers of jet carrier aviation, his ego shows, but yes SPB, he was a Lt Cdr.
  11. Seaweed

Seaweed War Hero Book Reviewer

Winkle Brown also did trials in a Vampire of wheels-up landings on HMS Warrior, using a rubber deck.

I liked the pic of all the people round the lift, so relieved that the Vampire could fit in the hole!
  12. The actual Vampire used for the first deck landing by a jet can be found at the Fleet Air Arm Museum at Yeovilton
  13. The rubber deck part of the book was fascinating. It sounded an interesting concept, but would it have worked with a weapon load under the wings? Brown wanted to extend the concept and us it on land, perfect for war in a mountinous country like Korea. He mentioned the idea of putting a catapult and rubber deck in a few trucks and could set up on anywhere!