First Tour of Afghanistan for Female Engineer

Discussion in 'Current Affairs' started by UKForcesAfghanistan, Oct 1, 2010.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Kayleigh Beckley, 23, is an Aircraft Engineering Technician (AET) in the Royal Navy who has been working in Afghanistan for the last three months.

Kayleigh is the only female AET from 846 Naval Air Squadron (NAS) based at Camp Bastion in Helmand Province. Together with colleagues from 845 NAS they make up the support helicopter element of the Royal Navy’s Commando Helicopter Force (CHF). Kayleigh maintains the Sea King Mk4 helicopters that transport troops and equipment around the province. Whilst in theatre the Sea King Mk4s form part of the Tri-Service Joint Helicopter Force (Afghanistan)

Read more here

2. Overalls round her waist!!!! My old warrant would have a fit!!!

She'll be moaning it was too hot as well!!!

Good luck Shipess :D

3. Don't see what all the fuss is about, she is only doing her duty. Having said that good luck to them all.

4. 8O Fuss, you say? What fuss are you on about?

The poster is merely drawing our attention to a 'First'.

(Just the same as anyone on here would if you were ever to come up with a sensible comment at RR. :roll: :wink: )

:twisted:

5. What, the first woman to serve in Afghanistan?

6. woah - hold the back page -

when i go to afghan for christmas will there be a bit in the fareham rag saying first bald headed chief from my family to serve in afghan.

i dont think so - if only i had tits

7. stop press - just checked and it seems that i do have tits

8. Am with Finks on this. So what? Trying to milk a story about a member of the fairer sex doing a man's job. Sorry, but they burnt their bras far too long ago for me to get excited.

But good luck to all 846 and the rest of the UK bods out there. A lot of effort for a bl00dy pipeline for a corrupt government who are doing deals with the people with whom they are currently fighting against - aka the Taliban.

9. I wouldn't mind if it said "first naval chef not to burn a boiled egg" if that's what it takes to persuade the papers to print something about any of the thousand RN personnel serving in Afghanistan.

(And yes, I know that RN chefs usually shine at the annual Hotelympia cookery competitions :wink: )

10. Thanks NG,

I was feeling a bit outnumbered for a moment there :wink:

11. A burnt boiled egg, never came across one of those. :?

12. Not done much seatime then Finky? :wink:

13. And the connection between 'burnt boiled eggs' and seatime is? :)

14. wave_dodger

wave_dodger War Hero Book Reviewer

Sorry, can't see what the dripping is over. It's a straightforward media piece just highlighting one person in the many thousands, who are there/have been there and have done/doing a good job. Good for internal and external PR, except clearly some embittered and sad individuals don't agree.

Next.

15. They were going to write a piece on you but it was then decided you had a face that was only suitable for radio. :twisted:

16. Firstly, Id like to say Good luck to her and all that are out there just now...

BUT. Im with finks, I dont see how a female out there doing her duty is any different than a male out there doing his. After all, the navy, or any of our armed forces, does not sexually discriminate etc etc. Or so Im led to believe.

However that being said Im also with NG, Anything to highlight the great work all RN personell are doing out there and about time some ignorant people in our country start to take notice of this.

Totally not sitting on the fence here :lol:

17. Good luck to the lass and I hope her tour goes smoothly :thumbright:

18. The RN are quietly confident, whereas the others shout about their achievements out in an attempt to measure up. to the high standards the RN have set.

19. I'm currently serving out here with her, I'll pass on all the opinions guys.