First steps on road to joining up

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by Ryan18, Feb 24, 2016.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I am dead set on joining the navy. Not sure as what yet.

I am planning a trip to the local afco to have a chat about options I have but would like some advice here first.

I am currently out of shape, have long (past shoulders) hair shaved at the back and sides and a beard. (Picture ragnar from TV show vikings for an idea)
    Obviously I fully intend to scrap all that to join up and I have recently started an excersice regime to get myself fit but I am concerned about giving a bad impression.

As I am not actually signing up until I am fully prepared will the guys at the afco care too much how I look walking through the door?
    If so then I might leave it a while before I start asking them questions.
    • Excellent Topic Excellent Topic x 1
  2. Welcome I believe there are some AFCO people on here who can help though I have to say some of them turned up at London AFCO a few weeks ago .. I would have avoided in the street, but turned out to be pleasant lads
  3. That tattoo will have to go mate ;)

• Like Like x 1
  4. If you're a bit odd, join up as a chef or a stoker, you'll fit right in :)
    • Like Like x 3
  5. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

We're not too fussed about your aesthetic appearance or karma upon first making preliminary enquiries, but as with any job application, once the application is underway it helps to put in an effort at the selection interview.

The irony of this is we expect you to dress smart for interview then get bollocko(ish) at the medical. Strange but true.

I remember sending a young lad to Lympstone for the Potential Royal Marines Course, sporting the best afro I'd seen since a 1970's LAPD television cop series.

Sure enough, the phone goes, upon his arrival: "WTF?"

"I think you'll find he's still a civilian just now, Lofty. You can shout at him if he joins though, if you like" :)
    • Funny Funny x 1
  6. .
    Last edited: Mar 16, 2016
  7. Thanks for the replies! Plan on straightening up my appearance for actually applying but won't worry about going for some general info now.
  8. At this point I should like to mention, if you have no experience of washing, ironing and neatly folding clothes, plus housework tasks, I should ask for help in that direction. :cool:
  9. Well I think I remember an iron in my bag when I left for uni 6 years ago. So I'm off to a good start! As to actually using the thing... One bit plugs in and the other bit gets hot right? Guess I'll have to find out which is which the hard way.
    • Funny Funny x 1
  10. Ninja_Stoker

Yep, that's the gist.

A few years back I was giving a pre-entry brief to a group of people about to join Raleigh. "I cannot over-emphasise the need to learn how to drive an iron" I stated. "We had one chimp from this office who got sacked for failing three kitmusters. He never leaned to iron. Imagine that - sacked because you cannot iron!"

To my surprise, a red faced bloke put his hand-up: "That was me two years ago, Chief" he said, "I'm rejoining..."
    • Funny Funny x 4
    • Like Like x 2
  11. "Get used to hand washing" But Chief, "I know how to wash my hands."
    • Funny Funny x 3
  12. I have fought about the navy for some time now, however I am unsure as to my eligibility, while my tattoo is not offensive in anyway it does cover my whole left arm! It won't show in uniform but being excessive in size would that be a problem for me? Also when I was 19(now 28) as a daft teenager I got myself a criminal record, not proud of it but I had supervision for 6 months, although it was 9 years ago I am worried it could stop me from applying. am just after some clarity before I go any further.
  13. Ninja_Stoker

A sleeve tattoo is usually OK.

Criminal convictions, once spent are usually OK as long as they don't involve drug trafficking, loss of life, etc.

Watch out for the grammar cops though. You could get another rap for confusing fought with thought ;)

Good luck.
  14. I've just signed up online today, applying for SC. I was a sea spec 2010 and pvr end of phase 2 and can't wait to go back if all goes well.

I went to my local AFCO two months ago and the advise they gave me was to take the time to think of what you want to do in the navy and narrow it down 2/3 roles. The waiting times may influence your role choice unless you willing to wait for a role you really want.

Research, YouTube and chat to people online and they told me about this site and navy rum. I got chatting to a few SC currently serving at sea and they have given me so much info of what the job and life is like at sea and alongside.

I'm so happy I found out as much info before applying. The booklet the AFCO may give you doesn't really go into much detail as it almost like a selling point few a bullet points.

If your really going to join up fitness is what you want to be working on big time straight away. All Relaigh PT sessions is the toughest parts of the 10 weeks.

I remember my 2nd day their a Tuesday and we had to take the 2.4k run and you must pass it. When everyone finished a lot of people failed and the officer watching us that day went mad coz he said people didn't put the effort in before their came to relaigh. 10 mins later while still recovering and some on the floor rolling about, 2 girls sobbing they made us start again their and then. As horrible as it sounds more people passed the 2nd time with a few people having to do it again another day with the risk of getting kicked out if failed again.

So many stories of my time their in 2010 but I loved every minute of it.
  15. Ninja_Stoker

Good effort

What was the reason you opted out after phase two?

Best of luck to you this time around.
  16. Good look you lot it sounds like some of you will need it remember the fairy at home that magically puts washing back in you draw all clean and ironed does not live in the navy, if you drop dirty washing on the floor it will stay there, get binned and if you are lucky make it into the scran bag so you have a chance to recover it, still dirty.

Dirty shoes stay that way

Unmade beds, stay that way or get completely tossed on the floor

2.4km run train to run 2.7km in your allotted time.

The instructors are not there to hold your hand (too often) or make your life simple, they are there to instil into you that it is up to you to look after yourself, once you master that you then realise you are part of a team/ unit and have to play your part in looking after that as well, and god forbid if you ever make it into the fleet you may get some real responsibility?
  17. I was told a lot of things and what the role involved, but it wasn't until I got to phase 2 I found out more about the role and what I would be doing at sea.

Some of the things I didn't get told or knew about was flashing light morse code which I found extremely hard I was like a cat being caught in head lights lol no chance, working on the bridge, signalling, and communications as part of my role. When I was at collingwood having to learn these things that I wasn't expecting and realised I would have to do this at sea made me a little annoyed and upset. After some thinking it all over I was still unhappy and realised theirs no point going away to sea being unhappy so I decided to pvr as I couldn't side transfer at the time either.

When I had my final interview with my DO he had recognised this to be an issue already as many people was feeling the same way but he also said I could of asked more questions and researched abit more into it.

I have always planned to rejoin some day. I joined the reserves two years ago for a about year and left because of having family issues and an ill father. Even though I have a 2 year old boy and a house etc, I still have the burning desire to make it in the navy so I'm re applying at 33 with my families backing. So it's all good.
    • Like Like x 1
  18. Still, I'd have been tempted to trim it for PRMC myself.
    When I was at Collingwood doing SEMC I happened past the gym one afternoon and witnessed a PRNC doing phys, one of whom had a green mohicon that would've done any 70's punk proud.
    • Like Like x 1
  19. Ninja_Stoker

Yep, sadly it's quite common for people to join unaware of the signalling side of the Sea Spec job.

I've tried to make people aware over the years, but ideally the RN website should make it more apparent.

Anyway, onward and upward, as long as you are rejoining "eyes open" you'll be fine.
  20. Zeb

Zeb Badgeman

An amusing story my lad told me, he doesn't go to sleep counting sheep he counts dots and dashes :)
    • Like Like x 1