First Sea Lord's Speech in Sydney

Discussion in 'Current Affairs' started by tomcat24, Oct 20, 2013.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Only one person asked him about the F-35B
  2. Thanks for the link to the Q&A session. I think the way some of the questions were answered was as informative as the actual answer; and that's appreciation not denegration on my part. I think 1SL's answer to Prof Grove's questions was brilliant!
    • Like Like x 1
  3. The RAN officers did ask many relevant and tough questions
  4. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

Slightly off topic & tangental, bearing in mind I like the person, but does anyone think that in this day and age, the title "Sea Lord" is rather grandiose and embarrassingly OTT in this day and age, in terms of scale?
  5. At least the trend has been downward to match the fortunes of the Royal Navy and I'm sure further time will take its toll.

From 1628 to 1964, we had a First Lord of the Admiralty too (e.g. Winston Churchill 1911-1915 and 1939-1940). The Sea Lords started off as Naval Lords (paid Lords Commissioners of the Admiralty) in the 17th Century and were renamed Sea Lords in 1904.

Until 1965, we had 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th and 5th Sea Lords. Nowadays, we only have the 1st and 2nd Sea Lords although we have had a Lord High Admiral (conferred by the Queen to the Duke of Edinburgh on his 90th birthday in 2011) since 1413.

Some might see the term Sea Lord as OTT but it reflects the rich heritage of the modern Royal Navy. I like it. ;-)
  6. Nicely put. If Chief of the Naval Staff did drop his historically significant 1SL tally, why not cut out the middle man and trail blaze with a 21st Century title like; Chief Executive, Fleet Command, within British Armed Forces PLC?
  7. Ninja_Stoker

I appreciate heritage, tradition and the need for the chap in the post but personally, with a modern Navy of this size (I hesitate to even contemplate the use of the word "Fleet") the title "Sea Lord" is disingenuous, at best.
  8. not at all.
  9. Would you rather we Stopped us of the term and re-instated the full time use of Admiral-of-the-fleet along with pay?
  10. Ninja_Stoker

It's just one person's observation, I doubt many will agree with it, but I wasn't advocating an even more grandiose title and the pay already given, in relation to my own wage, is probably about right.
  11. let's get back to the topic of the thread
    • Like Like x 1