First Sea Lord's appeal for more funding for the RN

Discussion in 'Current Affairs' started by Karma, Feb 16, 2007.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I can't see it on any of the newsfeeds yet, but I just heard on Radio 4that First, Adm Band, at a lunch for journalists, stated that we need an extra £1B per annum to keep the flotilla running.

Be interested to see how it's reported later in the day, but that was just a headline on the 1500 news.

2. FlagWagger

FlagWagger Book Reviewer

Re: Firsts appeal for more funding for the RN

Call me Mr Cynical, but by the time NuLab get hold of it, the announcement will have been transformed into "The Navy needs to make cost savings of £1B per annum to keep the flotilla running." :(

3. chieftiff

chieftiff War Hero Moderator

I just heard it on the BBC news too Karma, it's not been "adjusted" yet. Good on the Admiral, I would like to hear and read exactly what he did say though. The story seems a bit slow to appear in words.

4. Re: Firsts appeal for more funding for the RN

on bbc news 24 at 1615.

got pi**ed off with some journo-puke.

that'll be another courrt martial convened by the rose tinted BLIAR

5. Re: Firsts appeal for more funding for the RN

Seems he told the PM and Chancellor that if they give him the money for two carriers he'll "get off their backs".
    If true - Good on him!
    (Radio 4 News headlines 1700Z)
    2BM

6. Re: Firsts appeal for more funding for the RN

Just heard same - alleged quote "give me two carriers for just under a billion and I'll get off your back"

7. Seadog

Seadog War Hero Moderator

1SL's press release 16 Feb 07

8. Re: Firsts appeal for more funding for the RN

I was told the defence budget is being CUT by £1billion next year.

9. Re: Firsts appeal for more funding for the RN

Is it only me that thinks that whilst the 1SL criticising his political masters for under-investment is welcome; it is somewhat hypocritical when RNR contributors on here have recently been accused of lacking loyalty by our superiors when making similar comments with regard to investment.

10. Re: Firsts appeal for more funding for the RN

Wait for the smell of the farmyard from the M.O.D. / spew labour on this one. I just can’t wait!

11. Navy needs extra £1bn - Admiral

Linky

12. Seadog

Threads merged, slight title edit to prevent further duplication of threads.

13. Perhaps I`m reading this wrong, the Admiral says he did not ask for £1 Billion pounds per year , the BBC says that he did, what do we make of that? and shouldnt this thread be in the Fleet?

14. chieftiff

chieftiff War Hero Moderator

1800 news on BBC said that Admiral asked for " 2 carriers and a £billion" no mention of a billion a year!

15. Seadog

Further to chieftiff's last, from the BBC linked earlier

No mention of 'per annum' there. So the BBC and the Admiral are not (from current info) in disagreement on what was said.

16. £1B per annum... eighteen pounds, bloody hell are things that tight? Let's have a whip around.

17. If you read my post i did say the the Admiral did not ask for that amount. He wrote his bit and stated that. But to deny it, then someone must have said it, thats the bit that gets confusing.

18. Whatever He said it took guts from his position to say it - it needed saying so good on him for trying! Now lets back the man!