First Sea Lord

Its good to see he's done well for himself :D He was my skipper on the Phoebe back in the early 80's,top bloke!!!Met him years later when i was on the York,not only did he recognise me but remembered my name,and its not as if i was up in front of him for puns every other week :D

Having never even spoken to any officer above the rank of Lt Cmd during 12 years of service, except at the Captains Defaulters table at HMS Ganges, I have no knowledge of previous or serving Senior Officers.

What does suprise me, but then I suppose it should not, is that them that appear to be currently serving always say that serving senior officers are great but retired ones not so.

This 1st Sea Lord has presided over the capture and then selling stories fiasco. Hardly bodes well.

Nutty

Nutty said:
Having never even spoken to any officer above the rank of Lt Cmd during 12 years of service, except at the Captains Defaulters table at HMS Ganges, I have no knowledge of previous or serving Senior Officers.

What does suprise me, but then I suppose it should not, is that them that appear to be currently serving always say that serving senior officers are great but retired ones not so.

This 1st Sea Lord has presided over the capture and then selling stories fiasco. Hardly bodes well.

Nutty
Nutty,

You look too innocent to have been up before the Skipper. Tell us it ain't true! I suppose you shouldn't have listened to your iPod during Sunday Divisions :wink: I presume you got a bag full of goodies in exchange for your early iPod (portable thermionic valve radio) :lol:

I'm surpised that you NEVER spoke to a senior officer though! Surely you must have encountered at least ONE Admiral of the Armchair during your time? :wink: :lol:

AAC.

silverfox

War Hero
Book Reviewer
Nutty said:

Nutty
Clearly you don't know the man. Those of us who served through the Hill Norton or Brigstock eras would not be saying the same about them I can assure you, we have had to suffer some dross to get where we are now.

I think you'll find it was 2nd who oversaw the press bit....

Good Heavens SF, are you really saying the dross doesn't exist today? What about Gloria? The promotion system doesn't always get it right and there will always be some complete ******* who make two star, although rarely three stars. For each of those there are usually three or four who are OK and one or two are outstanding (EG. Geoffrey Biggs) I worked for Admiral Nick and if you were competent and stood your ground when you were right he was easy to work for. The Badger's bark was worse than his bite too, in short doses although I imagine you were referring to competency.

Always_a_Civvy said:
Nutty said:

Nutty
Nutty,

You look too innocent to have been up before the Skipper. Tell us it ain't true! I suppose you shouldn't have listened to your iPod during Sunday Divisions :wink: I presume you got a bag full of goodies in exchange for your early iPod (portable thermionic valve radio) :lol:

I'm surpised that you NEVER spoke to a senior officer though! Surely you must have encountered at least ONE Admiral of the Armchair during your time? :wink: :lol:

AAC.
AAC

As you well know and it has been well documented on RR pages I was demoted after only 11 months service from Junior Seaman 1st Class to Junior Seaman 2nd Class. After regaining my star and being drafted to the fleet they kept me on sea drafts, with only a Lt. Cmd as Skipper except for 12 months on Tenby but the four ringer did not discuss policy with the Captain of the Heads.

Nutty

Opinions of the current First Sea Lord

I'm wondering what are peoples opinion of our current first sea lord Jonathon Band. I know he's looking to get the RN's funding up by 1/3 amongst other things, he's even said he'll resign if they don't do it.

Anyone else have any info on him? Will he be good for the RN?

Seadog

War Hero
Re: Opinions of the current First Sea Lord

1SL's funding requirements and his reported 'I'm gone' threat has already been discussed on RR. Use the search engine. Or do they not teach you that in journo school? (Because that's what you sound like).

Anyone else have any info on him?
The impression he has made on those who have served with him is also on record here. If you are looking for dirt rather than 'info' you may be disappointed.

Do these guys realise how stupid they sound asking these questions? I'd prefer it if the cnuts were honest, at least we can tell them to pi55 off quicker!

PS Has anyone had any dealings with Rupert Murdoch, has anyone got any info on him :twisted: Just wondering...

kingoftwigs said:
Do these guys realise how stupid they sound asking these questions? I'd prefer it if the cnuts were honest, at least we can tell them to pi55 off quicker!

PS Has anyone had any dealings with Rupert Murdoch, has anyone got any info on him :twisted: Just wondering...
Yes. He ate my hamster! :cry:

moondog said:
kingoftwigs said:

Yes. He ate my hamster! :cry:
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Band is a fine Officer, I'd be happy to follow hm into the gates of hell because I know he'd be the first one through.

the_matelot

War Hero

I,too, have served under Jonny Band.

Top officer and comes across as being a top bloke as well. It would be a shame if he were to leave because the current government don't give a monkey's about the RN or the other Services.

Am interested in the original thread but having some difficulty locating it. Would some generous soul please give me a steer in the right direction?

Ta

SF