First Sea Lord visits Gib

Discussion in 'Bases / Shore Est' started by soleil, Jul 15, 2009.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. No doubt, our Spanish brothers may see this as some sort of provocation.,
    A British Sea Lord, in the waters that the EU have given us to guard.
    Its a pity that the First Sea Lord is not called F. Drake, that would have really got up their noses!!

2. Or H Nelson, :lol: ,me thinks me shall take a trip to Gib and get old Sir Jonathon to get the wets in, :eek:ccasion5:

3. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

Have to say it'll be a very sad day when JB leaves the Mob, a top man in every respect.

A few years back he took command of Illustrious as she left Gibraltar & his first ceremonial harbour entrance was into Grand Harbour, Valetta.

There we were, procedure Alpha with the volunteer band ascending on the after aircraft lift, playing something apt like "Thunderbirds". As we reached the flightdeck there was a huge juddering as we went full astern. A plume of orange smoke passed down the port side & top part of ship started to lob a 25-man liferaft over the side. A tug had backed-in too close to pick up a line and got run over for it's trouble, fortunately there were no fatalities and after I'd extricated my half-swallowed tuba I got to see my first "Maltese Cross" (or "Cross Malteser") looking wet & bedraggled as he was fished out of the oggin.

Never a dull day on that ship thereafter.