First sea draft!

Be thinking of you !!! Mine 17 year old on HMS Victorious ships company, took me 3 months to get my bearings lol, and when we went to sea and berthed the other way round !!! I was disorientated ;-P
Implacable Don't recall much except the number of aircraft crashes The length of The Burma Road and the Cmd Gnr who appeared to get much satisfaction from having us walk up and down it. The splendid RM bugle call Flying Stations and the pipe No smoking is to take place on the Flight Deck the Weather Deck and the Passages of F Deck owing to petrol venting

girthsmith

Lantern Swinger
All top advice and the best is..................................................................The person that latches onto you and wants to be your bezzy winger is defo the mess bellend cos if he wasnt he would be acting dead hard like the rest of the badgemen he is in a clique with!

The only caveat to the above is if he joins the same day then he will be bricking it as well!

Enjoy it!!!!

girthsmith

Lantern Swinger
All top advice and the best is..................................................................The person that latches onto you and wants to be your bezzy winger is defo the mess bellend cos if he wasnt he would be acting dead hard like the rest of the badgemen he is in a clique with!

The only caveat to the above is if he has joined the same day then he will be bricking it as well!

Enjoy it!!!!

I flew out to join Hermione in Hong Kong in 73 with Jock Mcdade and Steve (Ibbo) Ibbotson.. none of us had any money between us.. what an eye opener for 3 baby RO's..First time we sailed was into the middle of typhoon Nora to rescue survivors of a sunken ship.. my sea legs went over the side with the first big wave!!!..Happy days.

Never forget my first draft...........Pompey dockyard......pouring it down......my straw hat went all floppy.
Eventually got on board......tarred my pigtail ready for a run ashore.........skipper says all leave is cancelled.
Jimmy was right pissed off........I said 'Whats up Fletch.?'..... he said...'That bast*rd Bligh.... I'll fcukin' swing for him so help me'

Drill Shed. HMS MERCURY about a million years ago.
"YOU! Rosyth!"
"YOU! Portsmouth!"
"YOU! Chatham!"
YOU! Plymouth!"
"YOU! - RAF BRIZE NORTON for a flight to Washington DC thence after a
three day weekend onwards via American Airlines to San Francisco to
join HMS BLAKE!"
"You talkin' to me?"

He was - and even though it's just a piece of history now, you gotta enjoy what you volunteered for when you bimbled into the AFCO........so turn to, scrub things, polish stuff, learn your job and (hopefully) catch a few rays and learn how to say "beer" and "taxi" in some foreign languages.

Enjoy.

Luv'n'DogWatches,

Billy.

Last edited:
Remember it well, 64 in Chatham dockyard, had to go ashore in rig. On the advice of a three badgeman, take civi's in a holdall and change in the dockyard washroom. Hide the bag and then get changed into rig before returning onboard. You guessed it, some bastard nicked our holdall. Came up the gangway to see the DPO stood there. Seven days No. 9's, bastards. But I learnt from it.

Drill Shed. HMS MERCURY about a million years ago.
"YOU! Rosyth!"
"YOU! Portsmouth!"
"YOU! Chatham!"
YOU! Plymouth!"
"YOU! - RAF BRIZE NORTON for a flight to Washington DC thence after a
three day weekend onwards via American Airlines to San Francisco to
join HMS BLAKE!"
"You talkin' to me?"

I remember the snaky Blake out in the states with us in 78.. they lost a lad in the sea off Acapulco after he fell in returning from a run ashore one night... spotted a couple of days later when we all sailed again.

Left C99 long before then (on it for approx 2yrs). Bimbled off it at FLJ in Portsmiff
and ended up on boats from '74 until eventually falling out of a Dockyard somewhere
in '94. (i.e. 2yrs skimming - remainder submarine-ing).
When I DID go home for a LWE, I discovered that my mummy and daddy had moved house.
No twat told me though and new owners of house were a bit put off when I ambled in through
the back door. Eventually found where I was suposed to be living after a heavy dinner time
sesh. Saw the funny side of it. They had written - but mail had not arrived by the time I
smegged off for the train at Portsmiff Harbour Station.

Oh how we laughed!

Strolling through the dockyard and see the old 'Vic' alongside pitch house I think, thinking what a magnificent looking ship that is, climbing up the gangway and thinking this is going to be home sweet home. It was for 3.5 years. Long lost days in 1958 !