First sea draft

Discussion in 'The Fleet' started by snapdragon, Oct 3, 2007.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I got my first sea draft today! Pretty exciting stuff! Everybody wanted Type 23 in Pompey but only about 3 people got their preference. It was a bit like Christmas this morning!

Anyone got any memories of hearing about their first draft and of getting on the ship and where it went?
  2. sgtpepperband

sgtpepperband War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

Yep. On completion of my Seaman Sonar (184P) Course at HMS Dryad the instructor wrote the names of the available sea drafts on the board then walked out, saying: "Right, sort it out amongst yourselves. I'll be back in 10 minutes".

Everyone else got Leanders, but I was well chuffed to bag the only draft on HMS Bristol. Joined it a week after my 17th birthday. The rest is history... :lol:

Anyway Snap, "BZ" by the way. I hope it will be the first of many sea drafts. Well done!
  3. There would have been blood in our class if our Chief had said that! There's already tension between people who want to swap!
  4. Asked for small ship in the Windies, but ended up in a carrier in the FES - still enjoyed the experience though.

16 1/2 in Singers - what could be better ??

5. Contributor Mode

Whilst at Dryad doing my RP basics course as a J/Seaman I put on my Drafting preference form any frigate in the Far East and got HMS Loch Killisport it took me two days to find out what a Loch Class Frigate was. No Google in them days.

Excellent best 18 months of my life. Flew out to Singas, flew back at the end.

So what ship did you get?
  6. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

Contributor Mode:

First sea draft a Leander class frigate, joined in Devonport, straight into Operational Sea Training, 9 weeks later arrived in San Carlos just in time to get bombed on the first day of the landings: "They never told me about THIS, at the Careers Office"

Mind you worse things happen at sea s'pose...
  7. Levers_Aligned

Levers_Aligned War Hero Moderator

I was sat in Newcomen block in Sultan in October 1979 and was thrust my MEM2-MEM1 task book. On the front was biroed 'HMS Exeter'. I'd put in for a 42 and got the newest, then still fitting out in Swans in Newcastle.

8. First draft after leaving the delights of HMS Mercury was Fleet Training Pool in Singapore based at RNWT Kranji. The whole of the class was drafted together. Flew out from Gatwick on a Bristol Brittania of British United Airways. It broke down in Bombay ( the engine fell off) and we had to stay there for three days. Then on to Singers and first ship was, like Nutty, HMS Loch Killisport (joined it Jan 64). When I left it I joined the Loch Fada - must have made a good impression NOT!!!. Very exciting times when I was 16 1/2 (wish I could do it all again)

9. Initially I was drafted to the Glamorgan which was visiting LA for the 84 Olympics that however go canned and I ended up on the Fearless when she was Capt DTS. Fantastic trips and happy memories.
  10. joined HMS ARGONAUT Christmas of 91 then promptly went on Christmas leave.. excellent, best sea draft I had
  11. Contributor Mode

We must know each other cos I did not leave her until July 64. Were you on board when the 4 ring Captain Sxxxxxx I think suddenly got whisked away and the Jimmy a Lt. Cmdr. Exxxxxe was made CO for the remains of the Commission. Capt F to bum boat 3rd F.S in one day.

12. Can still remember mine back in 73. Put in for a Pompy based Tribal - got a Guzz based Leander (Apollo) - oh well it was close - same colour!
    Anyway leaves Mercury and trots off down to Guzz to join her, happily carting all my brand new tropics with me - 'cos we were off out the fez - except no we wern't - it had all changed! The only use my tropics were going to be was as camoflage! We were off up the ice, gunboat bashing!.
    Soon saw the light though and slapped in for boats as soon as I got the chance.
  13. My first was the Forth in 68, part of SM7 in Singers for 15 months .
  14. janner

janner War Hero Book Reviewer

I joined the Navy to see the world, first sea draft was Brocklesby at Porland about 20 miles from my parents home in Lyme Regis.
  15. I wanted a Frigate going to the Windies etc and got a DLG going round the Med for 6 months ,put in a C240 when I was on Rame Head for HMS Newcastle and ended up with a draft to Boats, when I was drafted to boats I asked for a SSN in Gus and ended up in Bombers in Faslane,

I dont think Drafty liked me !!!!!!!
  16. Joined the Ajax in refit in Guzz, sat in drydock while almost everthing else was at Spithead review
  17. Joined Juno in pompey and 2 weeks later was on a beach in Bermuda.
  18. wet_blobby

wet_blobby War Hero Moderator

My first time at sea was a veritable pleasure cruise, some Norweigan ferry..MV Nor...?

Was ushered on board and shown to my carpeted, on-suite 4 man room. The scran was lovely, breakfast was always a highlight of the day, a huge buffet with prawns, sushi, meats, cheeses and those wonderful little sausages and bacon with scrambled eggs...the way continentals try and imitate a full english breakfast..essence.

The days consisted of doing some phizz then lounging around the bar area looking out of the big windows at all the little grey boats bobbing up and down, having the odd half hearted lecture and playing up the pretty stewardess with the "bing bong..j'hear there" machine, oh the frolics we had sending dirty messages over the tannoy via this blond angels velvet voice. Sometimes we would stroll around on decks taking it in turns to "moonie" the russian spy trawlers whilst watching the grey boats bob up and down.

The Bar would open around 6 ish and we'd drink like it was going out of fashion, the people in the little grey boats would send us little love notes about our ship looking like "some kind of fcuking christmas tree" I think they where scared of the light incase someone...russian fishermen?....saw us, anyway they wern't best pleased (I think they where jealous of our barmaids as well)

Two weeks we managed to keep this up untill some head shed decided they'd better call a halt to the taxi ride and make us walk again.......happy days
  19. sgtpepperband

sgtpepperband War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

Ooh, when were on there?
  20. 86 to 89