First Month's Pay

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by Taffd, Apr 6, 2011.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Assuming a July 17th joining date and with summer leave from Aug 6th to Sept 6th, could someone please explain how the first couple of month's pay works out?

I would assume that August's pay will be received on the last working day but would that be six weeks pay, or would there be a part payment in July?

Thanks in advance for any answers, and if you don't know, feel free to post the ritual abuse that we've come to know and love.

Taff

2. 2 weeks pay at the end of July, then monthly after that. At the start of the next calendar year you'll then receive 1/12th of a years pay per month, meaning that you'll get paid the same for February as you would a 31 day month.

3. OK I'll bite:

After all that waiting and now you want paying, too! Stroll on.=( :wink:

4. Waiting? It's only been six months. I don't know what everybody's dripping about.

5. Think summer leave is more like 8 Aug - 28 Aug. A killick told me it is more often than not three weeks back from the bank holiday.

6. Your leave has nothing to do with your pay, unless your leaving the RN of course!

7. Absolutely. Unless of course you needed to prepare for summer leave with no sheckels. I thought maybe, that if you joined after a certain day of the month, your first pay would arrive on the last working day of the next month. And if that was usually the case, would it still be the same, when a major leave period interrupted said 'six weeks'.

It's of no great import, as monies will be saved in preparation for joining, and certainly not important enough to warrant bothering the AFCO. Just thought it might be of interest to other joiners, if indeed there was an issue.

Thanks for the replies so far.

8. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

To be honest those joining after 15th of the month usually won't see their wages paid to bank until the end of the following month, therafter monthly.

The advance of pay is no longer offered, which despite being morally objectionable to expect someone to work for up to six weeks without pay, is doubtless unlikely to change.

9. Then there is indeed an issue and monies need to be saved. Thanks muchly NS.

10. I'm not sure why new entries can't be paid in the month they join. JPA wallahs will claim it's because the "last pay run" is input on the 15th of the month, but they know as well as I do you can do a pay-run upto the second to last day of the month. It's just laziness on the UPOs behalf...

11. White Mafia lazy, never!!!!!

12. Raleigh UPO are civilian.

13. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

A new employee is unlikely to legally challenge the white mafia on this issue sadly. In fact even the Royal Marines have recently stopped the 'generous' advance of pay (£200 loan), despite the fact you have earned the money being withheld.

Naval Ratings are advised upon joining to take £80 of their own money when they join & Royal Marines £200 because they are presented with an additional kit list after joining, before they are paid.

Naval Ratings, including Royal Marines also have to be in possession of a valid passport (£80) upon joining the service which is in contravention of Joint Service regulations. They also need to buy their own half-decent steam iron (£25+). Many end-up buying a suit to meet the joining regulations also.

Many people joining the service come from a variety of backgrounds, some having to go what is for them, significantly into debt, (in excess of £500) in order to join. Over recent years the duty of care element of looking after our own has been arguably eroded & not all of it completely 'above board' in the eyes of many.

When people do eventually join UK Armed Forces, Lloyds Bank & Barclays Bank, amongst others, are only too eager to tell them how good they are whilst supposedly giving a financial lecture, earn commission for each new account opened (application forms amazingly on hand) & then fleece service people when they go overdrawn - despite the fact they already have a bank account when they join.

Twas ever thus, civilian or ex-white mafia.

Last edited: Apr 6, 2011
  14. Fully concur.

You are talking from so far up your arse a_t_g.

The UPO at Raleigh process New Entries within 48/72 hours - the timing is largely dependant upon the correct documentation being supplied by the recruits. Any problem with failure to pay 'in time' lies solely with JPA.

I hasten to add that I am the last person in the world to show any support for Raleigh UPO - I can assure you that it is the civvy staff rather than the uniformed customer that suffer from the mismanagement in that particular organisation.

15. JPA can do a pay run whenever it's told to; ergo if they're not paid in the month, someone, somewhere, is not doing the best they can to make sure our new entries are paid. I don't care who it is, but it's not happening. I accept that the odd new entry may not turn up with the correct paperwork, but to continue to use the line "JPA made me do it" just isn't good enough.

As N_S points out, we have a duty of care to these people, and after making them wait for 2/3/4 years, it still comes as a surprise to us when they want paying. We allocate the joining date, we allocate how much they get paid, we are at fault for not making sure that happens. And that "we" is the Naval Service, not Civvy X or AB Wtr B....

16. is pay-day the last day of the calendar month or is it a set date within the month?

17. The last working day of the month, IE, if the 31st is on a Saturday you'll get paid on the Friday the 30th.

18. Thank you Chaz :D

19. Just to clarify that, you will be paid by the last working day of the month. The money is with the banks a few days in advance; some banks will hang onto it for as long as possible before putting it into your account, whereas some will transfer it almost immediately, which means that some people will get their money a couple of days earlier than others. You would be well advised, however, not to rely on your pay going in early, as there is no guarantee it will do so every time.

20. Your payslip always gives an 'at bank' date of the last working day of the month.