First Drill Night Tonight!

Discussion in 'Royal Naval Reserve (RNR)' started by u04elw2, Feb 23, 2015.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. so I passed all my entrance criteria and I'm heading along for my first ever drill night. I've got uniform waiting for me there.

What should I expect from tonight? What should I wear to head down? Any help much appreciated :)
  2. The fact that you are asking indicates that you genuinely care about first impressions - so well done on that score.

Different units have different requirements, however I'd put them into 2 categories, 1 = must, 2 = recommended
    1 . Ensure you are clean shaven (this morning), remove any piercing (if you have them), wear something smart.
    2. no need for full suit & all that marlarky, but I'd recommend no jeans/trainers/tee-shirt, and turn up in trousers, shirt (poss with tie, - your call) & shoes.

And finally, enjoy & welcome to a very rewarding new chapter in your life

PS let us know how it goes
    • Like Like x 2
  3. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

You are aware the OP is female? :)
    • Like Like x 2
  4. In these days of equality females shave, different place mind
    • Like Like x 2
  5. Make sure you try it all on ASAP to see if it fits.

If any of it does, hand it back - they have mixed up your issue with someone else's.

Taxi for one please . . .

All kidding apart, relax and enjoy tonight. This where you get to assess the organisation you are joining just as much as it is assessing how well you will fit into their set-up. Good luck.
    • Like Like x 1
  6. What? They don't shave in the bathroom? :p
    • Like Like x 2
  7. U04ELW2
    As NJ (very) correctly points out, my advice ref shaving was probably not necessary.
    Humble apologies
    I would therefore update my advice as follows:
    1. Uniform regulations mention that only one set of ear piercings are permitted for females, and they should be a small stud-type thingy. Obviously this will be your first night, so I doubt they will be too upset if you haven't picked up on this, but do be prepared to remove some/all if not of the required type.
    1. Male equivalent of smart casual should be OK (again, I would recommend that you steer clear of jeans), though decent slacks/trousers should be ok
    2. RECOMMENDED that you arrive with your hair drawn up into a bun (if more than collar length), but if you are going straight from work, and haven't clocked that, a neat pony tail should be OK.

Hope the 2nd posting on advice is more useful than my first.

Good luck
    • Like Like x 1
  8. Hahaha no worries SR, just saw the replies now, had a giggle into my lunch! :D

Thanks for all the help and advice, really looking forward to tonight now! Excitement!
  9. jockpopeye

jockpopeye Badgeman Book Reviewer

If you can get them before going into the unit your passport and national insurance number are useful as will be next of kin details (addresses and contact numbers) you may need all of these for a couple of forms that you get on the 1st night. If you can't pick them up don't worry about it, it can always be done next week.
    If travelling by public transport a big bag of some sort might be useful to put some of the new kit in for taking home.
    Pen and a small (pocket sized) notepad are always handy.
    Hope you enjoy your first drill night.
    • Like Like x 2
  10. Ah yes thank you!! Will swing past the house on the way for all the ID and a bag and some paper! Totally wouldn't have thought about any of that
  11. How did it go?
  12. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

Fine, fine...

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  13. It went really well thanks SR! What a great bunch of people :) I can see myself getting along with that lot just fine :D

As for you NS, you can go off some people :p
    • Like Like x 1
  14. Out of interest, which unit are you at? I am genuinely impressed that they manage to supply uniform.
    • Like Like x 1
  15. Purple_twiglet

Purple_twiglet War Hero Moderator

Maybe the unit managed to convince her that 'uniform' involves stockings, suspenders and a fifty shades of grey set, and that she should send regular pictures into the JRs mess and W/R to show them that she is wearing uniform correctly? :)
    • Like Like x 1
  16. UA
    the world shortage of "boots black, walking, for the use of" along with "hats, French-like in appearance helo landing pads, for the use of" has largely disappeared.
    And I gather, most units now have kit to issue
  17. janner

janner War Hero Book Reviewer

No one has said what uniform, She is probably dressed as a Japanese tail gunner, WW2 vintage
    • Like Like x 2
  18. Tay Division:) and it all fits!
  19. I wondered what the fishnets were for!!!
    • Bullshit Bullshit x 1
  20. I was going to start a new thread but decided this may be relevant to post in here.

I have the basic rig now to start attending in uniform but it's still in the packaging and needs ironing. I know how to iron but I wondered whether anyone has got any advice as to any special way to iron it as I am a bit stumped and don't want to get it wrong at such an early stage.
    • Like Like x 1