Navy Net - Royal Navy Community

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

First Draft.

gregleeds

Badgeman
So, I was wondering after phase two training I guess I'll be assigned to a ship. Do you tend to get drafted to one which is close to deployment to get some real life, on-board training done at sea or a ship that has a while to go in order to familiarise yourself with everything first or is it a case of wherever there's a place and what ever the navy says goes? Thanks guys.

Drakey

War Hero
....or is it a case of wherever there's a place and what ever the navy says goes?...That's about it.

Chaz

MIA
Just remember when being assigned to ships etc that you'll never 'dip out', however, some may 'dip in' more than you!

2_deck_dash

War Hero
These old ******* haven't got a clue mate. Since 2004 all newly passed out trainees are drafted to whichever ship is doing the biggest deployment.

Obviously there are only a limited number of places so some people (generally those who have faired less well on course) will end up on a ship that is only doing a Far East or West Indies trip, but as long as you aren't a complete mong on course, you and most of your class mates will end up on whichever ship is next in turn to do a global.

It's also in the task book now that you can't get your star until you've crossed the line, so every effort is made to stick you on a ship that is going south. Obviously it's unfair if you don't end up on a ship that makes it past the equator and you could potentially sue the mob for breach of contract.

gregleeds

Badgeman
Cheers deck dash, good info though I probably shouldn't have mentioned that I'm entering as a muppet? Does that change anything. I guess it'll change the task books with us not really crossing the line?

frogman007

War Hero
Cheers deck dash, good info though I probably shouldn't have mentioned that I'm entering as a muppet? Does that change anything. I guess it'll change the task books with us not really crossing the line?

Ha the only place you're going is Faslane and Barhain! Oh enjoy scrubbing 2 deck too as that is all you'll be doing as a muppet. Trust me.

jesse

War Hero
I had a draft to a guest house in Hartlepool, but thinking back;- I joined let the world see me. After two weeks in Viccy barracks I did part one and two in the middle of Yorkshire and my first draft was to Bramcote, Nuneaton in the plumb centre of the midlands. I think they were trying to tell m e something.

Waspie

War Hero
I wasn't all that bothered about what ship I was drafted too. It was all a big game in the early days. It was only when I was stunned into reality when I was in my late 30's and civilianship was facing me did I start to worry about what was next!!!!

How many jobs do you get that takes you from piss up to piss up, pay you and then drops you like hot snot at the end!!! But it was ******* good fun.

Talking Baggage

Lantern Swinger
You failed to mention ditching in a Wasp?! I thought all Waspies went in at one stage or other?
Moral of story: fly a twin engined Helo.

Waspie

War Hero
You failed to mention ditching in a Wasp?! I thought all Waspies went in at one stage or other?
Moral of story: fly a twin engined Helo.

TB, when 'pinging I always harped on about 'Single Engine Safety' Only problem I had in a Wasp was a turbine stall during a wing over. Bertie Lamb recovered it rather well considering he had me screaming those immortal words "We're all gonna die"!!! The profits in the bar at RAF Gib went up that night!

However in the twin engined Sea King!!!! Well lets put it like this I can why it had two engines!

Because they didn't have faith in just one!

Wasps are, (sorry - were,) the true Kings of the air!!!!!:king:

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
MoD_RSS Consultation on draft insurance and liabilities requirements to implement the Space Industry Act 2018 MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Consultation on draft spaceflight regulations MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Government sets out draft agenda for a 21st century tax system MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Explained: The Draft Building Safety Bill MoD News 0
MoD_RSS UK launches landmark draft ‘Murad Code’ to support survivors of conflict-related sexual violence as COVID-19 pandemic increases suffering MoD News 0
G MCM 1 draft Current Affairs 11
MoD_RSS Draft report on low-carb diets for adults with type-2 diabetes MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Presenting the draft Security Council Annual Report MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Draft guidance published to underpin the Offensive Weapons Act MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Finance Bill 2019-20: government publishes draft legislation MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: Secretary of State sets out draft budget for Northern Ireland MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: Vulnerability and digital economy feature in CMA's draft plan MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: Draft Withdrawal Agreement and Outline Political Declaration MoD News 0
R Draft Preferences Aircraft Handler The Fleet Air Arm 2
L first draft after Phase 2 Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 2
H RNAS Yeovilton - Draft Bases / Shore Est 9
J Completed SMQ Dry Awaiting draft. Submariners 9
MoD_RSS News story: Home Secretary introduces draft Investigatory Powers Bill MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Statement to Parliament: Home Secretary: Publication of draft Investigatory Powers Bill MoD News 0
W Deployments in a draft Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 2
MoD_RSS Press release: Government response to the Joint Committee on the draft Protection of... MoD News 0
Jay Jay 11 First sea draft Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 7
Merlin28 Why is a sea draft so hard to get The Quarterdeck 33
slim Where did the term draft come from? The Quarterdeck 12
S First sea draft! The Fleet 36
gregleeds First Draft Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 4
Z Draft list on the intranet? UPO 19
trelawney126 Sgt P's Next Draft Current Affairs 6
scouse Now that's what I call an Early Draft!!!! Diamond Lil's 2
stan_the_man Gib the dream draft - not Diamond Lil's 23
C A draft chit to Japan The Quarterdeck 0
E 1st Draft Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 3
K First sea going draft in dry dock til September 2009 Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 22
L anyone suggest a good crash draft please?!!! Diamond Lil's 10
rod-gearing Any offers,bottled or draft Diamond Lil's 2
F First Draft - Memories History 53
T Draft Charter for Bereaved People - Ministry of Justice Current Affairs 0
S first draft Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 16
S First draft after phase 2 Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 21
snapdragon First sea draft The Fleet 59
D Ok your worst Sea draft/inboard draft The Quarterdeck 32
dustyjack Not much of a draft! The Gash Barge 20
chrisredditch Not Your Average Draft The Quarterdeck 8