First draft after phase 2

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by sourlemmon, Jan 13, 2008.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Due first sea draft, how much kit/civvys/etc are you allowed to take on board, aware of limited storage on Type 42. :thanks:

2. A tad more than you are allowed on Ryan Air.

3. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

Yep, I'd go along with that, particularly on the older ships you have less than a cubic metre of storage space for personal belongings AND uniform. As you wear uniform all the time you are onboard & will be duty, most likely one day in four, you don't need an awful lot more than three or four sets of each item of civilian clothes. If you can fill more than an average size holdall with civilian clothes, you've probably got too much.

4. Stacks of storage space on a 42, just don't try taking a 3 piece suite with you.

Aside from your locker, you'll have a large boot locker, suitcase stowage, and a communal coat locker.
    How much more space could anyone want?

6. sgtpepperband

sgtpepperband War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

Don't take your handglider or hamburger stand... :wink:

7. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

Most people tend to stow theirs in the funnel anyway.

(Seriously though, just take the minimum at first, after you've joined you can always bring more if there's space.)

8. i think the stowage on 42 s was reasonable its amazing how little you need to remain trendy

9. Been a long time, but if memory serves, never had a problem stowing kit on the Glasgow.

10. There's the advice to follow up there.

It MAY seem a bit **** at the moment, but if you bimble down the ladder with a couple of grips and a suitcase (pussers) then all will be well.

BUT

If you bimble down the ladder followed by a procession of luggage of all shapes and sizes, there will be those in the mess that will look at all your kit and think "effing sprog twat! Who does he think he is with all that kit! He's not using any of MY space!" and there's your first impression wasted.

You'll be the same, in a very short while ;)

11. who does the dhobying these now that number 1 has flown the nest

12. We have ex-Gurkhas

13. GR and I got to visit a modern messdeck on Bulwark during her visit to London. The stowage space was minimal - you'd fill it with the pair of grips! ;) That said the space between the bunks shocked me - the space allocated on the old Belfast looks palatial by comparison! Obviously only designed for those with a waist size no greater than 20 inches who can flatten out in their bunks to something the width of a scanty ham sandwich! :lol:

Dunkers will be OK then!

I fear Slim and my good self would need to sleep on the mess square... by the beer fridge! ;)

14. I had more room on the Fighting Ice Cream for stowing gear than I have now on the "modern" (theres a laugh) Moralbion.

15. But Lamri, how are non-skin able to flatten themselves sufficiently to fit into a modern bunk? They were the height of about two tinnies standing end-to-end!!! o_O

16. Bunk sizes haven't changed mate, its everything else!
    Lockers are actually smaller, although they look bigger, and there is less room generally in a cabin. This is why we get permanent ULA (Unpleasant Living Allowance).

17. O/T.
    Wasn't it a plastic (Hunt class?) boat caught fire after someone had bought a cheap wind-surfer, and stowed it in the funnel space?
    One for Naval Myths? :p

18. That may be the case on a T22 or T23 but when I was in 3D mess on a 42 all I had was my locker and a boot drawer (which was smaller than the others because it was the middle one) There were no suitcase stowages or communal hanging lockers.

It didn't change much when I joined a 42 as a PO - just managed to get a space in the shared hanging locker. In fact I had more storage space as a killick on a 23 than as a PO on a 42

Concur with the advice to take the absolute minimum at first then build it up if you have more room later

19. Well that's what you got down 3P Mess, matey.

Along with a bigger beer issue!