First Application Form

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by StourbridgeLad, Nov 30, 2008.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hello everyone

It's been awhile since I last posted but I need some advice from veterans and people who have gone through the whole process at hand.

I got my first application form from the Armed Forces Recruitment office.

To cut a long story short I’m severely dyslexic and after filling the documentation at hand, I let my girlfriend (who is a secretary) help me spell check the rest of the form. Now she gave me a warning some of my handwriting for obvious reasons is not readable. This as you can imagine has left me in a somewhat uneasy position as if they can’t read it they will simply refuse the document and give me red tape to swim through if I mention this. Now I need to ask the following;

Will I be given any problems if I hand in the first document and ask for a replacement and explain that I have severe dyslexia?

What response is normally given in this situation?

Will this overall affect the Recruitment process?

Thank you for reading this post

(On a side I was warned by close friends who have served in the forces not to let family or spouses help you fill out the form (this is something you need to do youself), this is just a quick answer to anyone who posts “ Why didn’t you let family just do it for you etc†for obvious reasons)
  2. As with most application forms the stipulation that the form must be filled in by the applicant in their own handwriting in pen is almost universal, as it gives the employer some indication of the applicants ability to read and write.
    The fact that you have severe dyslexia would also become apparent during your Recruitment Tests and you wouldn't have your Girlfriend with you there would you?
    Front up and explain your problems to the AFCO bods, if they can help they will if not fougk lick* as you would write.

*Tough luck.
  3. Hi,

Severe dyslexia is not a bar to entry into the RN. You will still need to pass the selection test the same as anyone else. It is dyslexia friendly as much as possible, pastel colours, no writing required. That said if you suffer really badly you need to be aware that there will be a lot of academic training to undergo once you get into the RN. We have had instances where it becomes obvious that certain people may not be suited towards certain jobs.

What job are you thinking about trying for?

If you need to get another application form, just ring up the AFCO and ask for a copy. As NZ Booty said it should be filled out by yourself, but that said as long as we can read it we will accept it. It would be worth mentioning to your Careers Advisor about your Dyslexia, so that they can advise you correctly on the jobs suitable to you.

Hope this helps

4. Hi, Dyslexia should not be a bar to entry in any job. It is classed as a disability, however, I believe the Armed Forces are exempt from employing under that rule! I am dyslexic and am quite shocked at the obvious ignorance that surround it! It is not a sign of your lack of intelligence but the way in which you process information. I have a degree and work with several Doctors who are dyslexic! Explains Doctors unreadable handwriting!. However, I would strongly suggest you get yourself assessed to ensure your problem is dyslexia. This report would obviously help you and give your future employers some idea of what sort of help or allowance (extra time for exams etc) you may require. Good Luck!
  5. Whilst I support your spirited defence of thos with disabilities, one must remeber that the RN in common with the other forces cannot always be an equall opportunities employer, there are some situations where some disabilities are a downright no no.

Clearly a lot depends on the severity I have a very mild dyslexia and had no problems even in the days before dyslexia existed. As suggested the real trick is to match the work to the ability that way every one gains so openess should be the way forward.

As for new forms, almost any one can make a mess of a form the first time round so just ask for another one, but keep your original to use as a reference with your mistakes well marked so you can at least avoid repating them.
  6. Another tip is with any form get it photocopied and use the photocopy as a practice form then use the original as the form to hand in. Goes for any job aplication form though.

Good luck hope you get to do what you would like to do.
  7. tiddlyoggy

tiddlyoggy War Hero Book Reviewer

At least you're showing a positive attitude by trying to address your problem. Good luck mate.
    Incidentally, I once had a POMEA work for me who had number dyslexia (I know it's not called that, but I can't remember the correct name) and they let him join as a tiff. (I once let him run my engine logbooks when I was on leave. The running hours section made an interesting read when I got back!)
  8. Dyslexia does not seem to be a problem for the Infantry. I know a guy who joined the Army earlier this year and is about to be posted in Afghanistan, who is dyslexic. He was offered a commission in the RN to train as a engineering ossifer too but wanted to serve on the ground in the ranks. :roll: