Firms that discriminate against Territorial Army reserves may be sued

Discussion in 'Royal Naval Reserve (RNR)' started by trehorn, Nov 8, 2012.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. That'll make sure that the reserves get the support they deserve!

What blinkered thinking. Reservists and employers need support - not threats. Do they think that firms will openly discriminate against reservists? There are so many ways to either not employ reservists or make life uncomfortable for those already employed.

They should be offering incentives to employers to make them want reservists on their payroll. This will have the complete opposite effect.

Firms that discriminate against Territorial Army reserves may be sued | UK news | guardian.co.uk

2. I was under the impression that the idea of expanding the TA and reducing the regular Army was a cost cutting exercise, so how would these "incentives" work?
    Money's to tight to mention.

3. That's way above my pay grade RR :dontknow: but if they want to encourage people to join they need the employers on board and threatening to sue them if they're not is not going to help. Would you employ someone if you thought you could have that levied against you at some point?

I've said it before and I'll say it again - there is absolutely no benefit to an employer for employing a reservist.

At the moment the only thing they get is the occasional cock and arse party to say ta very much, have a certificate. More hassle than it's worth to them, especially when the said C and A parties are usually miles away, difficult to get to, on a week night etc.

4. I worked for a Government agency who raised holy **** about my commitment to the Royal Fleet Reserve.
    And to legislate will be cheaper if it works than incentives.
    They always try the "cheap" ideas first.