Fire onboard HMS PUMA, mid-sixties.

Shakey

War Hero
Does anyone have any reports, eye witness accounts etc. of a fire onboard PUMA that put her out of commission for a few months in the mid sixties? I believe it started in a boiler room.

Ta.

dunkers

War Hero
Are you in a hurry to find out? I know someone who served in Puma in the 60s and he might know, but it might be a while before I get a chance to ask him about it (usually only bump into him by chance). Sorry I couldn't be of more help.

Shakey

War Hero
Thanks for the link, there's another mention dated 6/12/64, I think that is the one.

Though I think the date's American and should read 12/6/64.

seafarer1939

War Hero
I served on her from '64 to '66 and never heard of any fire, still knowing that commission there could have been a major fire most would be too pissed to notice.Some great runs ashore on that two years.

Rumrat

War Hero
seafarer1939 said:
I served on her from '64 to '66 and never heard of any fire, still knowing that commission there could have been a major fire most would be too pissed to notice.Some great runs ashore on that two years.

When I served on her the buffer told me to paint the fcukin funnel and I went and got the paint.
Still remember my oppo's laughing and p*ss taking. :oops: :roll: 8O

Bazzoomer

Can't have started in a boiler room - she was diesel.

There was a series of fires, mostly minor, onboard in 1971, which turned out to be the work of an arsonist, a young seaman. Started with silly little fires in gash bins, then the notice board, then got more seriious when he set fire to the tiller flat, and worst, the jungle mess, during the night after a good run ashore, when we were all sleeping very heavily. Mess filled very quickly with thick black smoke from uniforms and plastic suit bags - lucky no-one was badly hurt. But I don't remember it putting us out of action for any length of time.

Hi Shakey. I recall a fire in Puma's Conversion Machinery Space in 60 or 61.
We were heading back to Simonstown from Tristan da Cuhna at the time.

C

canteenflat

Does anyone have any reports, eye witness accounts etc. of a fire onboard PUMA that put her out of commission for a few months in the mid sixties? I believe it started in a boiler room.

Ta.
There are several interesting Puma documents under Admiralty and Foreign office reference numbers in the National Archives