Finish university in June. When is the best time to start my application?

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by DevNull, Jan 1, 2014.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I've been trying to search for a timeline of the application phase, but my googlefu is not up to scratch.

Am I right in thinking that the sooner I apply the better, because of long waiting times?

(I'm planning on applying as a Communications Technician)

2. exJenny

exJenny War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

Start now as the CT branch is small with only a few entries each year.

Just the thoughts of a blonde ex wren

3. I would say start your application now. Mainly because of the waiting times. Some AFCOs can have a waiting list of a few months for Medicals and it gives you time to sort out any medical issues if they arise before January. You could be waiting a month for a recruit test, then you have to go do an eye test. Afterwards you have your medical, interview and PRNC. I think this is the best option, as it took me just over a year to be selected as a pilot and that was just due to the AFCO not having enough slots. Best of luck

4. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

The best time to have commenced your application for CT would have been when you were just about to start the second year of a degree, then you would have had a job waiting for you, after graduation. If you had done that, you would have had plenty of time to revisit & resolve any selection elements if required with plenty of room to manoeuvre.

As it is, if you apply next week, assuming you score high enough for CT, you'll probably wait for about 18 months after graduation, if everything is passed, first attempt. A recruiting test fail = add 12 months.

Good luck.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Thanks for the advice guys.

It's been a bit of sudden decision to want to join up, as I was spurred on after reading about the CT role that I had never heard of before.

Luckily my course would allow me to do a fourth year if the waiting times worked out.

6. Yes.

Good luck with the rest of 3rd year, the month of march in mine nearly turned me grey!

7. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

Good effort. Definitely get cracking next week. Good luck - don't fall at the first hurdle, the score required for CT is higher than any other branch.

8. exJenny

You'll love Chicksands.....

9. Not now he won't.

10. exJenny

Someone has to... I never did.

11. Nor me, but the point I was making is that we actually went there.

• Like Like x 1
  12. exJenny

Oh I've just seen who it is...

• Like Like x 1
  13. Whizzing again burd? :D

14. Well if he ever goes missing at Raleigh he is just sniffing washing powder and getting off his bazonders on shoe polish. That stuff is propa 'ardcore.

15. exJenny

Seems so.

16. exJenny

Nowt wrong with getting smacked off your tits in Devs world though.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2014
    • Like Like x 1
  17. I fear that if/when Devnull ever gets around to 'joining up' that CT will be right out the window. If he has half a brain he should have an inkling of what being a CT involves and the fact that they are PVd up the ying yang. This means that 'they' of the PV office might look at social media and fora frequented by the person of interest.

Uh-oh, potential problem(s) looming.

Bye bye.

18. Well that's me summed up I suppose.

19. exJenny

I do recall sitting in Raleigh with a lighter in one hand and a teaspoon 1/2 full of parade gloss in the other...

• Like Like x 1
  20. So get in your ****ing Tardis and hop back to the first semester of your second year and good luck.