Finally found out where i caught the bug!

Discussion in 'History' started by trehorn, Feb 19, 2009.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I've always wondered where my interest in the RN came from. I live in a land locked town in yorkshire roughly a hundred miles from the nearest sea.

I knew that my Grandfather on my dads side served with the missions to seamen during WWII (because he was too young to be called up), but then went on to complete national service with the army.

My Grandfather on my mothers side served in the army in WWII.

Neither my father or mother have any military background.

I've just found out that my Great Grandfather on my mothers side served in the Royal Navy during the First World War in HMS READY. There is very little on the internet about this ship making it very difficult to find out what he may have been involved in. I've tried looking on the National Archives website without success.

Does anyone have any ideas where his records or HMS READYS records could be found. I'd be interested in researching him more.

Cheers in advance.

2. You might want to contact both the MOD's Naval Historical Section & the National Maritime Museum for any photographs or documents. Ditto the Imperial War Museum who may also have interesting sound archives. Their Sound Archives were invaluable when I was doing background research into social conditions before joining up and experiences of the dreaded G Spot.

3. Good steer on the NA Sweetpea. However, Trehorn, before you get your hopes up too far, bear in mind that 2/3 of the WW1 service records for individuals were destroyed by the Luftwaffe in the blitz.

They will certainly have the ship's papers though. Not trying to put you off at all, just forewarned is forearmed and all that.

4. Thanks for the replies folkes. I'm down in the smoke in a couple of weeks so I'll make time for a visit.

Cheers all.

5. Seaweed

Seaweed War Hero Book Reviewer

Ship's Logs should be in the National Archives at Kew. You can search their catalogue on line.

6. You probably tried searching the national archives using ' HMS READY '.

Search the Catalogue again, only OMIT 'HMS', & you will get the results for the WW1 Ships Logs

Also from
    http://www.battleships-cruisers.co.uk/destroyers_before_1900.htm

HMS Ready was a Moon Class Destroyer, launched 26/8/1916, scrapped in 1926,there are a couple of pics on this website of HMS Moon.