Final Selection for Aircrew (Pilot)

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by Rilstone, Sep 12, 2013.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi all,

I'm looking for a little advice/reassurance; I am an 'in service' (currently AET) Officer candidate, and on Tuesday this week I passed my AIB. In June this year I also passed my FAT's for Pilot, Observer & ATC. While I'm uninformed of my FAT scores, I know that Pilot was my highest score.

This was my first AIB and I am going through as Aircrew (Pilot) as the title suggests. I was surprised in the interview that I wasn't asked if I would consider Observer, as I had prepared for that question, but I did notice that there were no Aircrew board members and considered that that could have had some bearing. I left feeling rather disheartened, despite passing, as my debrief seemed to leave me further in the dark than prior to attending. I was told that while I had passed and my interview was fantastic, I would be borderline for a place at BRNC "due to (my) age". I've just turned 24 and thought that as long as my scores were competitive then I would stand just as good a chance as anyone else, regardless of age. I considered that perhaps a not-so-competitive score was being sugar coated as an age related issue. I am yet to receive a debrief from my DO and am unlikely anytime soon due to a deployment, but I'm feeling rather impatient and would like some advice, if at all possible, on what tools, if any, I could utilise in order to improve my chances of selection. I would also like to know if it's feasible that I could be offered a place as Observer if my scores aren't competitive enough for Pilot?

Any help would be much appreciated, my impatience is getting the better of me. After many weeks of AIB preparations I would just like to relax!

Thanks again.
  2. Honestly, the only real thing you can do is ask SPLOT or the CO to call up the AIB and ask exactly what is happening. Make sure your DO is kept in the loop.
  3. The reason that you were not offered Observer may be that you did no reach the standard mathematically.
    In my day (cos I is old and crotchetty) the back seat boys always impressed on us that they were the brains of the operation, the pilot was only there to get them on site to finish the Job:tongue:
    • Like Like x 1
  4. Spot on Slim.

Pilot = Taxi Driver!!!!

Hiding under the duvet in true Wafu style to avoid incoming!!!!!
  5. I believe the traditional banter reply is: no stick, no vote.
  6. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

On the subject of age and selection, my limited knowledge strongly indicates the service favours those nearer age 18 as aircrew rather than those nearer 26.

Whilst I appreciate in the real world that could be construed as ageist, a couple of 2SL's ago, I was told the mob wants younger people as they do as they're told, are less likely to be politicised (particularly relating to graduates) and due to the cost of training, the younger person gives a better financial return. Not my words, the Big Cheese himself.

In any event I hope it's no longer the case & wish you good luck.