Final interview...

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by BFC_69, Feb 4, 2010.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Apologies if the answer is here somewhere and at the risk of sounding like a proper fcuking mong, I'd like to ask for a bit of advice?

Cutting a long story short, I've just booked my final interview for AET, I gather I need to swot up on my chosen trade.

However, I am struggling to find any info on it (outside the RN website)? Can someone point me in the right direction?

Sport wise, Im a half decent (county league standard) footballer/rugby union/league player. What are my opportunities like to play when Im in? even socially?

Once again apologies if Im being a dumb civvy cnut!
  2. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

Assuming you refer to the Selection Interview:

You will be given interview feedback & results the same day.

Remember it's an interview, not a discussion, as indicated below.

Simply be honest, there are no trick questions. The interview isn't "hard", it's just an interview.

The Selection Interview itself breaks down into five main areas & lasts 45 minutes to around an hour.

Make sure you switch your mobile off at the interview but also make sure you have the AFCO phone-number so that you can ring them BEFOREHAND, if you are delayed.

Dress smart, be early, bring all certificates & National Record of Achievement. Bring any documentation such as passport Birth Certificate, NHS Card if you did not already provide them to be copied on Recruiting Test day. Bring four colour passport photographs-put your name on the back of each. Also bring any completed paperwork given to you beforehand: eyetest forms, Security Questionnaire etc.

Areas covered in the interview are as follows:

Where were you born, where else have you lived, who's in your family, who lives at home with you, Your home life, What does Mum and/or Dad do for a living, what about your brothers & sisters, your Family's health, family support for your application, any trauma experienced & your reaction to it. Whether you have a partner, how many house moves you've had, how you re-settled, what you do to help at home, how you get on with your family, whether you have dependent children. What health are your family in- oes anyone depend on you to look after them, are you a carer, What do you do to help around the house, Who does your washing & ironing, have you holidayed away from your family, How mature are you?

School attendance, who chose your school, punctuality, achievements, membership of clubs & societies, sports teams, favourite subjects, least favourite, suspensions, expulsions, what did you think if you got a detention, how you got on with teachers & pupils, what results you obtained, what do you think of your results, what did your family think of our reslts, what further education you have attended if any. What consideration did you give to attend further education, How many schools attended. If you left further education arlywhy. Did you represent the school at sports.

How may jobs, why you left, how did you get your job, why did you leave, how you got on with the public, did you handle cash, what responsibilities did you have. How much do you earn, what are your commitments, can you cope on Service pay, do you know how much you get paid, any savings, debts, relevant to new entry pay. Timekeeping, disciplinary record.

Member of any sports clubs, Uniformed Youth Organisations, social life:do you understand drugs policy, what hobbies & interests do you have. Full breakdown of fitness schedule - Physical activity -what/how often/how far & how long established etc. any work related training, related skills/interests, Personal achievements. What is your opinion of drugs. What's the Armed forces policy on drugs. Swimming - how often & how far. Personal admin.

Experience of communal living, ability to adapt to change, attitude to authority, time away from home/family, any experience of responsibility, timekeeping/discipline/truancy, aspirations/motivation-what do you know about the Service & phase two Training knowledge, General Knowledge of service/training. Terms and conditions of service. How much do you earn in training, how long is your contact for, how quickly can you leave if you don't like it.

Relax. Maintain eye contact, be honest, don't slouch. Be yourself.

Finally, yes there are opportunities to play sport at all levels:

Good luck.
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Ninja,

Thats brilliant. Thanks very much.

Where can I get phase 2 training info...

At this point feel free to tell me to do one!
  4. There's a bit about your Professional Training in the AET link I gave you.
  5. Good luck :)
    ive got mine on tuesday!
  6. Thanks Soleil
  7. Cheers Mate.

And you cracker!
  8. thanks for this info i have my interview tomorrow. so dont they ask you questions about navy history, ships, bases, jobs ect....
  9. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

For ratings, the subjects covered are outlined above. History, whilst nice to know, doesn't really help us make an objective selection decision.

For all ranks, it is advisable to be fairly au fait with Naval involvement in current affairs as it suggests you may have a reasonable expectation of what the job entails.
  10. ok thanks for the help ninja, i' am joining as a chef hopefully and i will let you guys know how i get on for tomorrow. just one more question why do i need 4 passport picturesof myself. because i will now have to get that done tomorrow before i go in for my interview.
  11. Because 4 photos of someone else would be no good for identificaiton.
  12. haha but i though thats was why i would take my passport.
  13. Probably just be easier to take the photo's eh? Might be best to assume there'll be a reason for them?

Just remember to let the kind staff at the office just what a drag it was getting them done before the interview, and they'll reimburse you the cost, plus hassle money.
  14. yeh ok i will get them taken tomorrow morning before i go into my interview thanks for that advice
  15. i passed!!! but i have another in 6months though which will be on the phone he said :D but i also have a 28month wait well about 23 -24 now because he said that ive been on it since july
  16. Well done mate. I had the update interview over the phone today, I was surprised.. 6 months has gone so fast. They basically asked me if I still wanted to join up and not much more than that. It didnt take 10 minutes so i'm happy... another hurdle over with!
  17. ahh thats great what r u joining as??? my interviewer told me that i need to brush up on my navy knowledge because he will be asking me questions on that when they ring and that i was currently on the boarder line of passing the phone interview. i just hope they dont ring me when i'am at work as well incase i miss the call.
  18. I'm joining as a sea spec, I think the phone interview may be different for everyone depending on how you answered questions in the first formal interview, so just brush up on what they've told you to in around 6 months time. They phoned me at work and just left a voicemail to call them back so no worries about missing the call the poeple at the AFCO understand you have work commitments so its all quite relaxed, that's how it's been for me anyway.
  19. Does everyone get an update interview over the phone?

My advisor said at the end of my interview that the next time i'll hear from him would be with a date in 18/24 months (or whatever the waiting times are now :))