films from Germany on war (or anything else come to think)

Discussion in 'Films, Music, TV & All Things Artsy' started by golden_rivet, Oct 11, 2007.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Am doing a German night-school class and need some viewing to boost the language study ...

any titles I can look out for? Preferably on war but broadly speaking. Just got Goodbye Lenin from the college Library on DVD - that looks good.

Anyone else got any faves/recs?

TA
    GR

2. Re: films from Germany on war (or anything else come to thin

What's the age group....if adult then this one may give you some German perspectives...

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0074695/

3. Re: films from Germany on war (or anything else come to thin

LOL - you asking how old I am mate????????? :rendeer:

4. sgtpepperband

sgtpepperband War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

A few great German films I have seen:

"The Nasty Girl" ("Das Schreckliche Mädchen"),
    Watched it when it was released (1990) and I can still recall the impression it made on me, about how people will try anything to cover up their shameful past.

"The Lives of Others" ("Das Leben der Anderen"),
    Another historical piece, but from more recent times; even more controversial as it investigates the atmosphere of paranoia orchestrated by the East German Secret Police in the '70s/'80s, and the power and influence they had on their own population.

"Run Lola Run" ("Lola rennt"),
    One of my favourite films of all time. One of the most original and unique plots ever, this film covers many genres and emotions. Thoroughly recommended. The first two films mentioned above are heavy on dialogue, however this film is more visually stimulating. Either way, I have watched all three films several times, despite having no understanding of the language.

5. The obvious film that springs to mind is Das Boot.

Cracking film that didnt glamorize the uboat war in any way!

6. Re: films from Germany on war (or anything else come to thin

Quite a recent film- Downfall. Its a very good film which tells the story of the last few days of Hitlers life in his bunker. I found it very interesting.

S.

7. Re: films from Germany on war (or anything else come to thin

I saw Tin Drum/Die Blechtrommel (1979) a while ago. It's a bit "off the wall" (ie weird) but thought provoking.

IMDB Link

It's about a boy growing up before World War 2 who decides he doesn't want to be an adult any more as a protest at the world around him.

I have a few other German language DVDs, but they're probably not the "family viewing" kind. :jerk:

8. Re: films from Germany on war (or anything else come to thin

Lol...sorry, I took your post to read as you were giving the class not attending...did I insult? or other? :hockey:

9. Re: films from Germany on war (or anything else come to thin

coo no one even notices/recognises when I'm being a bit flirtatious any more :(

10. Fantasshtiche!

11. Re: films from Germany on war (or anything else come to thin

^_^; Damned if I do, and damned if I don't....ahhh typical eh![​IMG]

12. Seadog

Seadog War Hero Moderator

Re: films from Germany on war (or anything else come to thin

Des Teufels General (1950s cult German langauage film with Curt Jurgens. You should get a copy in the world cinema sections of Virgin or HMV). Still available sausage side.

Das Boot (the director's cut)

Lola rennt (wheeled out by the Goethe Institute as a teaching aid.)

Downfall (he dies in the end.)

The German bits of A Bridge Too Far and The Longest Day.

I've noticed that English subtitles are not always exact. I suppose for lip synch purposes and to leave out the rude bits, artistic licence is applied.

13. Re: films from Germany on war (or anything else come to thin

Great, you've spoilt the ending now! :sad2:

14. Re: films from Germany on war (or anything else come to thin

Agree with Sgt P about Run Lola Run..........excelent filum,

15. Der Wixxer und Neues Vom Wixxer

Based loosely on Edgar Wallace (I think!?)

Set in London, Inspector Long and Chief Inspector Even Longer must track down ,,Der Wixxer!"

Ich habe dieses film sehr gut gefindet, aber denke ich das ich nicht genug Deutsch wissen!

Run Lola Run is on Film4 on Friday I think, not sure if its in German though!

Failing that and if you are looking for some light, and dare I say it, German Comedy, try getting some Bullyparade videos from ProSieben's website.

16. Re: films from Germany on war (or anything else come to thin

I thought he went to live in Brazil

17. Re: films from Germany on war (or anything else come to thin

Saw this on Sky a couple of weeks back (I think it was BBC3?):

Gegen die Wand

Actually in both Turkish and German (with English sub-titles of course!) and not really about war as such, but a more modern one about a middle-aged Turk and a young, slutty German-Turk entering into a marriage of convienience; and the film is really an interesting dramatisation of their strange relationship and what it develops into.

I found it especially intriguging to learn about the political divide in Germany between Turks and Germans. Its strange but I've always percieved modern Germany to be full of Germans, rather than Frankfurt behaving as a twin of Bradford.

18. Seadog

Seadog War Hero Moderator

Re: films from Germany on war (or anything else come to thin

Funniest Health and Safety video I've ever seen was a German production (in German) about operating fork lift trucks. Comic horror and Wayne's World type screaming. It'll be googlable (is that a word? Norman!).