Films and Documentary's - Any recommendations?

Discussion in 'Films, Music, TV & All Things Artsy' started by aerialspeedboatcore, Oct 7, 2014.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. With an application in progress and quite a lot of spare time on my hands bar work and training, does anyone have any recommendations on films or documentary's both for knowledge and also enjoyment.

asc.

2. Start with the classics, The Cruel Sea, The Yangtze Incident and Battle of the River Plate.

Sailor, 1970's documentary on the old Ark Royal, is on youtube I think.

• Like Like x 2
  3. Last edited: Oct 7, 2014
  4. You're being kind Wrecks ... thought you were going to come up with Das Boot, Officer & Gentleman and Top Gun!

5. I could have said Petticoat Pirates, Bell Bottom George or Carry On Jack.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Master and commander is probably the best film about the navy, although the cruel sea is a close second.

7. Sink the Bismarck is another.

8. Documentary wise, watch Jeremy Clarkson's episode on the St Nazaire Raid.

'The Greatest Raid' told in Clarkson's watchable style. I had the pleasure of taking some vets back to St Nazaire in Campbeltown on our paying off trip. Amazing guys.

9. And while you have a spare couple of minutes on Youtube, my persoanl favourite (because I was Chatham's OOW at the time):

10. "With an application in progress and quite a lot of spare time on my hands bar work and training, does anyone have any recommendations on films or documentary's both for knowledge and also enjoyment."

Some good recommendations have already been made. But very gently, it would be worth brushing up on the correct use of apostrophes.

11. Some laaaavly vids there hours of enjoyment. Caught this on the Nimitz aswell