Field of view

Discussion in 'Health & Fitness' started by Roco, Apr 23, 2009.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. If I had a 40 degree field of view would I notice it? You may deduce from this that I don't think I have.

Thanks

2. Woopee f**king do
    What's that all about??

3. Thought it would be self explanitory,

If I had a 40 degree field of view would I notice it? You may deduce from this that I don't think I have. =

I've been told after medical I have a 40 degree field of vision (rather than the usual 180 degree). I don't think I do as it currently does not seem like I am looking through toilet roll tubes. Which I guess it would if I could only see 40 degrees.

4. My girlfriend's got 360 degree field of vision....swear she's got eyes in the back of her 'kin head!!! :evil:

5. 40 degrees is quite a big arc and all of your cones (the things that see colour) are in that arc so you might not think it's a big deal, especially if you've always had that field of view.

You can easily test your field of view by picking an object to stare straight at and then measure how far round you can see you finger. Keep the finger stationary for a bit at about 10 degree angles (it's much easier to see moving objects in peripheral vision) and see what you get.

If you want to get an idea how important peripheral vision is, try walking around with one eye closed. You'll notice that you get shocked by people walking up on that closed eye side. Try playing sports! It's nigh on impossible. I used to have a squint when I was younger and the docs fixed it using an eye patch that I had to wear every day. I was forever bumping into things.

6. 'Wider field of vision, clearer field of fire'.
    Maxim taught to me by my advanced driving instructor many moons ago; and still remembered, every single day!

7. Thanks for that, tried the wee test you mentioned there and can see a pen 90 degrees either side of my head when staring straight. I've also played cricket and rugby to quite a high level and no problems. Im beginning to think there are wires crossed at the INM!

8. Forgot to say - peripheral includes up and down, so you could check that too. If you think they made a mistake - get an appointment at an opticians to check it out. This won't get you in, obviously, but will give you reason to go back and speak to the AFCO.

9. I`m a bit like Drakey here, what exactly is this post about? FFS get a grip.

You haven`t seen me, right?

10. The OPs dodgy eysight.

40 deg is quite wide compared to the suggestion of looking down toilet roll which is probably nearer 5 deg, but is significantly less than what is considered normal

11. Roco

I've just browsed through your previous posts to try to get some sense of context on this. Where you are now vis-a-vis joining? I can see that you have passed your AIB and wish to join as an Observer but can't see what happened next.

12. wet_blobby

wet_blobby War Hero Moderator

To the layman wondering about degrees and angles.....If you cant watch the tip of your finger enter your ear your fcuked.

13. Put your nose on the <H> key of your computer and you should be able to read all the top level of keys without moving your eyes. Honest.

14. I'm not saying wether I tried that or not 8O :oops:

15. Excellent, my work here is done :twisted:

16. wet_blobby

wet_blobby War Hero Moderator

Bet he put his fingers in his ears as well...... :lol:

17. I have been waiting on an appeal from my aircrew medical from Oct last year regarding stereoscopic vision which has turned out to be normal (which I knew!) and now the INM have contacted me saying I have a field of view of 40 degrees and am therefore permanently unfit for service.

I was at an opticians today who was able to tell me I had perfect peripheral vision, so it looks like its going to be another appeal. God only knows what they'll come up with next!

18. hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

qwertyuiop?

i think im ok

19. Ah, as already suggested you may have a vertical limitation. I can see `1234567890-= above the qwerty bit and theres also a Esc F1 F2 F3 line above that. It's a bit like a doctors eyesight chart. Can you see the long bar at the bottom?

:wink: :lol:

20. i can touch it with my tounge if thats any good? :lick: