Field gun..most dangerous sport in the world

Discussion in 'Diamond Lil's' started by wet_blobby, May 9, 2009.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. wet_blobby

wet_blobby War Hero Moderator

2. sgtpepperband

sgtpepperband War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

I agree - I lost many brain cells and bruised my liver several times in the Pompey Bar at Earls Court... :pukeleft: :shaking2:

Good piece, though! :thumbleft:
  3. Dangerous!! They should try playing Freckles after a night on the Guinness. The Horror! :twisted:

Nah much respect, saw it at the Royal Tournament in 73ish(??) thought they were much better than those poncy Marines and their Death Slide. 8O :wink:
  4. Is it just me or does the rating with hands on the wheel hub of the gun carriage in the 1st photo of the article have a touch of the mighty M gene?
    Probably a dastardly plan to activate the superhuman Mong strength involving a shed load of balloons and a huge tub of Ben & Jerrys finest. :twisted:
  5. wet_blobby

You just know that comment will attract howls of protest.... :lol:
  6. From the mongs or the Field Gunners?* Standing by for howls of "He's my bessie and a great bloke, you cnut." from outraged matelots! :wink:

*Hard to tell the difference really. :lol:
  7. wet_blobby

I actually fcuked a field gunners missus whilst he was away training once, I was gash, but, I think she didn't mind as I was last.
  8. My grandad was in the team that set the first under 4 or 3 minute time record. It's good to see the fild gun competition coming back and I'd love to compete myself one day.
  9. wet_blobby

All phish taking aside, fair play to the lads that do it. Fairly hardcore really.
  10. NZ they're LABOONS mate, soooooooo out of touch down there?
  11. Seaweed

Seaweed War Hero Book Reviewer

Qn, is this the full size gun or the smally Brickwoods one that I was shanghaied into running for Dryad in 1957? A few compulsory dogwatch sessions by the duty Subs' Course and we were off down to Whaley, to lose heavily.
  12. What, like a Bootie who can't tell the difference between a naval rating and a journalist? (or read a photo caption? :p ).

Like Seaweed, I'd like to know if this is the miniature version of the gun carriages used at the Royal Tournament.
  13. I reckon we should introduce Field Gun at the London Olympics as a demonstration sport.

14. It's in the papers it must be true lol
  15. Only the Sea Cadets use a smally gun, the Brickwood's gun is exactly the same as the Command gun (wheels 120lbs each!! I know! :wink: ). Only exception was that the Command gun, limber and wheels were all weighed so they were the same weight. They also had extra bits on, such as coils of rope and wire.
  16. Ise only do pikturz. :? :oops:

But hey, if having a mong journo big them up makes them feel good go to it. :p

P.S Off to Google Harwoods stories about Royals now, can't wait to find pictures of his semi mong dial gurning in terror as he zips down the death slide at CTC! :D
  17. Did a fair bit of boxing for the RN[when they found out at joining up I had fought quite a few fights for the NCB as a lad] they couldn't send me to the PTI[who once beat Billy Walker]and boxing squad quick enough!
    Anyway I thought I was fit and strong enough to try for the Field gun crew.
    I wasn't! no- where near fit enough,also after been cold cocked a couple of times I was not good enough for the Boxing team either so it was back to the rum barrel, thank God!
  18. Guns

Guns War Hero Moderator

At least they didn't have to stop for Tropical Storms and a Man Overboard....

HMS BULWARK was on the way to Singapore and we had a Field Gun comp. Winners Chiefs, Second POs Third Warfare Div and then us WR sneaked in. Royal came last. Which goes to prove brain and brawn. Mind you the CPOs first run was awful - but MOB and torrential rains stopped play. Enough time for CPO(AWT) Mac to regroup the old timers.

Anyhow it will all be in the C5 Warship II TV documentary in Aug (based on us the Rusty B).

Have to say very proud of the Seaman who on hearing the ship's siren for the third time started running to launch the seaboat before the Main Broadcast alarm went. Seeing as most of the crew was dressed in White front, trs and white gators it will make for good viewing.

Photos via Bulwarks web site or PM me and I could try and email. Can't seem to post photos to the site....

Edited to say it was a false alarm - no Matelots where harmed during the filming.
  19. sgtpepperband

sgtpepperband War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

Guns: When I was on Bulwark we did the Field Gun Competition for Sport Aid on the way back from the Gulf/Beirut, and the ASRM Juniors came first and the ASRM Seniors came second! :oops:

A damn good event, and very well organised (and designed/built!) by POPT Val Brannigan... :thumright: