FFS, you expect it from the civvie press but the MOD website

Discussion in 'Current Affairs' started by kinross_special, Nov 20, 2009.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

Re: FFS, you expect it from the civvie press but the MOD web

She is an Officer, just not a Commissioned one.

2. Purple_twiglet

Purple_twiglet War Hero Moderator

She's not a rating, the press don't usually understand "NCO", so Officer is a good compromise. I'm as uncomfortable as the next person in seeing NCO's described as "Officers" when the text implies that they are somehow budding Admirals. In this context though, I think it is a reasonable description and a good article to boot.

3. Re: FFS, you expect it from the civvie press but the MOD web

Just to nip any implied criticism in the bud, I've got absolutely no problem with the content of the story, or the individual concerned, who clearly is doing a worthwhile and necessary job. :thumbleft:

Just that most POs in my experience would rather chew off their own arm than accept the description of "officer." :wink:

4. Ninja_Stoker

Yep, I'd go along with that, but when you actually dissect the job title Petty & Officer it is actually quite a demeaning term & even worse for those of us who are the 'chief' or 'main unimportant official'. :wink:

5. Re: FFS, you expect it from the civvie press but the MOD web

These mistakes happen all the time and reflect badly on the Service they are supposed to be publicising. They did it last week with a picture of a de Havilland 110 prototype captioned as a Sea Vampire. That immediately drew derision in some light blue quarters about the Senior Service’s aircraft recognition skills. These meja kids still haven’t grasped the difference between a “colleague†and a comrade, either.

If anyone feels in an educational mood, you can exercise it at;
    [email protected]

6. Ninja_Stoker

Yep it's a bit like a parrot what has fallen off his mortal perch, bought from this very boutique. :wink:

7. Re: FFS, you expect it from the civvie press but the MOD web

I'm starting to be sorry I ever nailed it there in the first place.... :lol:

8. Re: FFS, you expect it from the civvie press but the MOD web

The page seems to have been 'moved' so is no longer viewable.

9. Re: FFS, you expect it from the civvie press but the MOD web

It seems to have been pulled :(

10. Re: FFS, you expect it from the civvie press but the MOD web

'Fifteen Minutes of Fame'

Time was up, hence Pulled. Simples

11. Re: FFS, you expect it from the civvie press but the MOD web

Page not found (Error 404)

12. Re: FFS, you expect it from the civvie press but the MOD web

It's still up here

13. Re: FFS, you expect it from the civvie press but the MOD web

Not now it isn't

Page not found (Error 404)

14. I know we are fast running up to pantomime season but come on guys - get a grip!

It's behind you! ... Oh no it isn't! ... Oh yes it is!

15. Re: FFS, you expect it from the civvie press but the MOD web

That's really odd. Anyway, it is available on the Defence HQ RSS feed and Twitter account.

16. I know I've been out a long time (probably longer than most on here have been in! :lol: ), but during my few years service, Chiefs and Petty Officers were Senior RATINGS. Has something changed?

2BM

17. Re: FFS, you expect it from the civvie press but the MOD web

It strikes me that you either "get" Naval tradition, or you don't. NCO never sat comfortably in the RN, unlike the RM, maybe? Then we had to put up with losing the Fleet Chief, only for the ignominy of putting up with WO2. We've been Armified and they never understood the term "rating", so our lads and lasses had to become other-ranks - QED!

18. Pedantic as ever (don't you love me for it? :) ) but RATINGS comprise Senior RATES and Junior RATES. Although NCO is the generic term across all three services, a naval Petty Officer is a senior rate and no more an 'officer' (taken on its own to mean a commissioned officer) than an army Sergeant except when the term is employed in their job/post title, e.g. 'Officer of the Quarters' in the old days or 'Officer of the Day/Officer of the Watch' today.

Officers and Warrant Officers are categorised separately, of course. The status of 'officers' has been diluted considerably in civvy street ever since Firemen became Fire Officers, Police Constables became Police Officers and Prison Warders became Prison Officers. Even Ambulance Drivers are now Ambulance Officers. Just about everyone else seems to be a 'manager' of some sort.

19. Re: FFS, you expect it from the civvie press but the MOD web

But losing Fleet Chief wasn't really much of a loss to Naval tradition was it? I don't know when we originally lost Warrant Officers, we certainly had them in Nelson's day, but Fleet Chief was only a rank (rate?) from about 1970 until '84ish.

Hardly up there with rum, sodomy and the lash in the tradition stakes.