Navy Net - Royal Navy Community

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

FFS, you expect it from the civvie press but the MOD website

Ninja_Stoker

War Hero
Moderator
Re: FFS, you expect it from the civvie press but the MOD web

She is an Officer, just not a Commissioned one.
 

Purple_twiglet

War Hero
Moderator
She's not a rating, the press don't usually understand "NCO", so Officer is a good compromise. I'm as uncomfortable as the next person in seeing NCO's described as "Officers" when the text implies that they are somehow budding Admirals. In this context though, I think it is a reasonable description and a good article to boot.
 
Re: FFS, you expect it from the civvie press but the MOD web

Just to nip any implied criticism in the bud, I've got absolutely no problem with the content of the story, or the individual concerned, who clearly is doing a worthwhile and necessary job. :thumbleft:

Just that most POs in my experience would rather chew off their own arm than accept the description of "officer." :wink:
 

Ninja_Stoker

War Hero
Moderator
Re: FFS, you expect it from the civvie press but the MOD web

kinross_special said:
Just to nip any implied criticism in the bud, I've got absolutely no problem with the content of the story, or the individual concerned, who clearly is doing a worthwhile and necessary job. :thumbleft:

Just that most POs in my experience would rather chew off their own arm than accept the description of "officer." :wink:

Yep, I'd go along with that, but when you actually dissect the job title Petty & Officer it is actually quite a demeaning term & even worse for those of us who are the 'chief' or 'main unimportant official'. :wink:
 
Re: FFS, you expect it from the civvie press but the MOD web

These mistakes happen all the time and reflect badly on the Service they are supposed to be publicising. They did it last week with a picture of a de Havilland 110 prototype captioned as a Sea Vampire. That immediately drew derision in some light blue quarters about the Senior Service’s aircraft recognition skills. These meja kids still haven’t grasped the difference between a “colleague†and a comrade, either.

If anyone feels in an educational mood, you can exercise it at;
[email protected]
 

Ninja_Stoker

War Hero
Moderator
Re: FFS, you expect it from the civvie press but the MOD web

StixJimboRM said:
Passed-over_Loggie said:
These mistakes happen all the time and reflect badly on the Service they are supposed to be publicising. They did it last week with a picture of a de Havilland 110 prototype captioned as a Sea Vampire. That immediately drew derision in some light blue quarters about the Senior Service’s aircraft recognition skills. These meja kids still haven’t grasped the difference between a “colleague†and a comrade, either.

If anyone feels in an educational mood, you can exercise it at;
[email protected]

It isn't a mistake though, as N_S has already said, she IS an officer, a Non-Commissioned Officer (NCO), the title IS correct. She is an officer 'sans' commission

Yep it's a bit like a parrot what has fallen off his mortal perch, bought from this very boutique. :wink:
 
Re: FFS, you expect it from the civvie press but the MOD web

I'm starting to be sorry I ever nailed it there in the first place.... :lol:
 
Re: FFS, you expect it from the civvie press but the MOD web

The page seems to have been 'moved' so is no longer viewable.
 

Oil_Slick

War Hero
Re: FFS, you expect it from the civvie press but the MOD web

kinross_special said:
http://www.mod.uk/DefenceInternet/DefenceNews/MilitaryOperations/NavyOfficerHelpsTrackDownTalibanBombmakers.htm

Well done that "officer"

Page not found (Error 404)
 

broadside

War Hero
I know we are fast running up to pantomime season but come on guys - get a grip!

It's behind you! ... Oh no it isn't! ... Oh yes it is!
 

2badge_mango

War Hero
Purple_twiglet said:
She's not a rating, the press don't usually understand "NCO", so Officer is a good compromise. I'm as uncomfortable as the next person in seeing NCO's described as "Officers" when the text implies that they are somehow budding Admirals. In this context though, I think it is a reasonable description and a good article to boot.

I know I've been out a long time (probably longer than most on here have been in! :lol: ), but during my few years service, Chiefs and Petty Officers were Senior RATINGS. Has something changed?

2BM
 
Re: FFS, you expect it from the civvie press but the MOD web

It strikes me that you either "get" Naval tradition, or you don't. NCO never sat comfortably in the RN, unlike the RM, maybe? Then we had to put up with losing the Fleet Chief, only for the ignominy of putting up with WO2. We've been Armified and they never understood the term "rating", so our lads and lasses had to become other-ranks - QED!
 
2badge_mango said:
Purple_twiglet said:
She's not a rating, the press don't usually understand "NCO", so Officer is a good compromise. I'm as uncomfortable as the next person in seeing NCO's described as "Officers" when the text implies that they are somehow budding Admirals. In this context though, I think it is a reasonable description and a good article to boot.

I know I've been out a long time (probably longer than most on here have been in! :lol: ), but during my few years service, Chiefs and Petty Officers were Senior RATINGS. Has something changed?

2BM

Pedantic as ever (don't you love me for it? :) ) but RATINGS comprise Senior RATES and Junior RATES. Although NCO is the generic term across all three services, a naval Petty Officer is a senior rate and no more an 'officer' (taken on its own to mean a commissioned officer) than an army Sergeant except when the term is employed in their job/post title, e.g. 'Officer of the Quarters' in the old days or 'Officer of the Day/Officer of the Watch' today.

Officers and Warrant Officers are categorised separately, of course. The status of 'officers' has been diluted considerably in civvy street ever since Firemen became Fire Officers, Police Constables became Police Officers and Prison Warders became Prison Officers. Even Ambulance Drivers are now Ambulance Officers. Just about everyone else seems to be a 'manager' of some sort.
 

Guzzler

War Hero
Re: FFS, you expect it from the civvie press but the MOD web

asst_dep_to_dep_asst said:
It strikes me that you either "get" Naval tradition, or you don't. NCO never sat comfortably in the RN, unlike the RM, maybe? Then we had to put up with losing the Fleet Chief, only for the ignominy of putting up with WO2. We've been Armified and they never understood the term "rating", so our lads and lasses had to become other-ranks - QED!

But losing Fleet Chief wasn't really much of a loss to Naval tradition was it? I don't know when we originally lost Warrant Officers, we certainly had them in Nelson's day, but Fleet Chief was only a rank (rate?) from about 1970 until '84ish.

Hardly up there with rum, sodomy and the lash in the tradition stakes.
 
Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
F Kiss a frog FFS The Gash Barge 30
Chris1337 Ffs.. i hate being indecisive é.è Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 8
pinkprincess FFS! Diamond Lil's 16
Montigny_La_Palisse T-shirts under 8's. (Okay 4's ffs) Diamond Lil's 68
D Gash BBC journalism - FFS. Current Affairs 12
M FFS: ASBOs Current Affairs 3
angry_mac Why? ffs The Quarterdeck 26
D Triage Call - What To Expect? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 7
K Passed medical, what is next and how long should I expect before intake? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 2
K What to expect from the RFA? RFA 8
MoD_RSS Fiona Dickie tells tenants what to expect when they request MRO MoD News 0
A Filter Interview coming up... What to expect? Joining the Royal Navy 0
S What can I expect day to day? RFA 39
MoD_RSS Press release: Video released to help victims understand what to expect during the parole process MoD News 0
Maxpowers How long after PJFT can I expect an entry date Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 45
N What to expect from POV visit? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 5
C [ UGAS MESM] Eligibility Call tomorrow, what can I expect? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 3
L.L1878 PRNC MOD CALEDONIA May 2018. What to expect Joining the Royal Navy 18
Bad CO Upgrade Beginning - Expect Disruption! Site Issues 5
R How long should I expect to wait for my start date? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 5
Subadubdub PRNC & what to expect. Joining the Royal Navy 39
W What to expect from the interview? RFA 24
N What am i to expect as an engineer apprentice. RFA 50
TairyHesticles AET - what to expect? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 1
M Cold calling on the Recruitment Office. What can you expect. Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 9
K Medical, what should I expect? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 19
Y RNP Aquaint - What to expect? Bases / Shore Est 23
dirtyweeally Initial Careers Presentation, what to expect? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 6
Stirling Ladies We Admire: expect robust mod action The Quarterdeck 153
fails_as_is I expect this will go down like a cup of cold sick... Current Affairs 32
M Air observer officer- what should i expect? The Fleet Air Arm 36
B What would you expect? Health & Fitness 6
Jammydodger URNU Medical, what to expect? Health & Fitness 3
A PRNC and what to expect. Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 2
Rumrat What does England expect from the commonwealth Games? Diamond Lil's 16
Passed-over_Loggie Should a Pal Expect Unlimited Help? Health & Fitness 17
P hair cuts and what to expect? The Gash Barge 25
T What to expect to witness at sea....... Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 29
T tips on what to expect Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 7
N Drafted on to Ship. What can I expect? The Corps 32
creddly Wow, didn't expect there to be a gaming board on here. Gaming 32
U AIB cancelations - How long do they expect people to wait? Royal Naval Reserve (RNR) 1
M First 48 hours at BRNC, what to expect? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 29
B Civvie Job Capabilities Joining the Royal Navy 2
K 21 Civvie to RN Air Crewman/Observer, going for NSRT - got a few concerns! Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 4
M Civvie plumber thinking of becoming and engineering technician marine engineer Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 16
soleil BBC1: "Civvie To Sailor (sic)" - Sunday 19th June 2011 -17:30 Bases / Shore Est 16
T Civvie Street Reserve Policies Royal Naval Reserve (RNR) 20
H Civvie street The Corps 42
C Tracing a civvie ship MV Lena 1991 - Gulf War 1 Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 6
Similar threads


















































Latest Threads

New Posts

Top