FFL to Navy or Army

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by tarfbateman, Nov 21, 2014.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. taking this over from ARRSE, hopefully might get some better insight here. 1REG EOD/Dinops(Combat Diver) trained ex-FFL(7 yr)looking for diver trade/job now back home in UK. have looked at Diver w/REME, but have been told RN might be better fit? Also looking at UKSF(R) weighting up all my options re: SB but would appreciate any/all advice? Late twenties now so wondering how I'm doing on time as well given route looking to go down? Obviously opsec is important here but whatever can be disclosed would be much appreciated? Thanks

2. Just out of complete interest what made you choose the FFL in the first place?

3. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

Assuming you're a British passport holder, can produce a copy of your FFL former service discharge documents together with your complete medical records and can demonstrate no reserve or recall liability, you would need to gain "approval to process" before an application can be processed for entry as a Mine Clearance Diver - as long as you enter Initial Naval Training before age 33. It would help if you can produce a French police criminal record computer print to demonstrate.

You would start on the new entry rate of pay despite former overseas military service.

To join SBS(R), you'd first need to join the RMR (or transfer from the reular RM) and may apply after completing training. Be aware SBS(R) are not operationally tasked in the same roles as their regular service counterparts, so far as I'm aware.

4. an uncle served for 19 years, had me sold on it wayyyy back :) got a huge amount from my time in, loved it

5. I was give to understand SBS(R) augment at section level strength their regular brothers? perhaps I'm wrong? I have all relevant docs, but going back for crim records will take a few months id imagine. not that I was nicked on anything :) id lean more towards selection if honest. can someone get loaded onto a regular briefing course with RMR sponsorship?

6. Ninja_Stoker

7. Interesting link/read thanks. Safest bet might be to go in RM regular, and see how I get on longer term, but the thought of hacking basic again is a tough sell! someone on ARRSE suggested having a look at Commando trained regminet in RA? do trained ranks have to meet the normal age deadlines to attend RM Recruit Training, i.e. transfer across by 33? Many do that?

8. I did indeed,served with an ex-RE. I'm not looking for a trade though so feel Royals is best bet for me on balance. What's the application/indoc phase like, how long on average?

9. Ninja_Stoker

There are no age waivers when entering into RM Recruit Training unfortunately.

10. wait? hang on... im nearly 28, so still good on time as far as I can see. might be pushing opsec here,but what's cut off age for SF?

11. Ninja_Stoker

Upper age for SF is usually 32.

12. 'usually' :) might be the odd waiver knocking around :) depending on a person's circumstances etc. exception rather rule but where there's a will.

13. Not 100% correct. I know of two HAC blokes who where accepted on to SBS(R) selection.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Ninja_Stoker

Yep, you are correct, any trained rank may apply (currently in the reserves or very recent ex-regular), not just RMR.

15. **** me, I must've been hammered last night. I have absolutely zero recollection of posting that.

• Like Like x 2
  16. Would 'very recent ex-regulars' be occasionally beyond 34 years 364 days cut off?

17. SBS(R) are not employed in the same way as SAS(R). Age limits seem to have become more elastic.

18. elastic in respect of SB?

19. *I should say it wouldn't be uncommon to see guys late 30's cropping up in FFl, don't think there are any hard and fast rules,but restrictions to exist on prospective promotion if you volunteer after 30 years of age for service. Would be nice to think it's same in UKSF