Few questions on the RNR

Discussion in 'Royal Naval Reserve (RNR)' started by jamieccfc, Mar 26, 2014.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I'm thinking of joining but need a few questions answered

Firstly, in the future is it possible to switch and join the RN full time ?

If I signed up next month how long does the training take to complete before they could deploy me ?

Could I do all training on weekends and not evenings ?

If I completed my training and volunteered to go away , what's the probability of getting deployed ?

I'm interested in joining and after all training is completed id like to be deployed for a few months

Thanks for any help

2. As always, I stand by to be corrected; this is based on my day-to-day knowledge of the RNR. I am not a recruiting expert.

As I understand it right now, being in the reserves makes no difference if you apply to join the regulars. You'll go through regular selection process just like everyone else. So yes, you CAN switch and go full-time, but it'd be just the same as someone else coming in who's not in the reserves. You'll get no dispensations or accelerated processing for being a reservist.

Depending on branch, allow four years upwards.

During basic training (i.e. up to a fortnight at HMS Raleigh), no. You'll need to come in for evenings.
    Once you're in branch, depending on your branch, it's much more feasible to do no branch training in unit and only do it on weekends and fortnights. Even at this point, you'll need to show your face in unit every so often, but certainly not necessarily every week.

Unless there's a massive change in the next few years, it's very nearly a certainty. You will go. Volunteering to go will be well-received, but not necessary; you will go.

Expect nine months. Often it's less, but expect nine.

3. Great info there thank you

Isit possibly to do over the 24 days and what the daily rate for joining ?

I'm guessing it goes up after training but I heard you don't get promotion much? if you was deployed for 9 months do you get better chance of promotion?

Also you say 4 years until you can get deployed if you got stuck into training done over the 24 days if possible past it all etc can you go before the 4 years , read here somewhere someone done it in 18 months is that possible

I went through the royal navy process had a date for June to do my 10 weeks training then pulled out now due to circa stances trying to join the rnr now and maybe if things chance try and changed to full time

4. Jamie
    Firstly, in the future is it possible to switch and join the RN full time ?
    Definitely, and depending what you have done in the RNR, you can apply to attend a 3-day “familiarization package” instead of doing the full 10 weeks basic training at RALEIGH – after success at the 3 days, you move straight to Phase 2 (Branch) training. -

If I signed up next month how long does the training take to complete before they could deploy me ?
    It takes, to a very large extent, as long as you want – I know at least 2 ratings who were mobilized (after completing all their Phase 1 and 2 training) within 18 months of joining the unit! The key aspect here is, if you have the time available, the courses coincide with that time, and your CO/Branch are happy to give you the Man Training Days (which invariable they do), the world is your oyster!

Could I do all training on weekends and not evenings ?
    To begin with, (ie phase 1 – pre RALEIGH) you will really need to attend as often as you can, the more Training Nights you miss, the longer it will take to prepare you for RALEIGH. Once you pass out from RAL, then you can easily get away with once a month, or less, depending on the branch etc

If I completed my training and volunteered to go away , what's the probability of getting deployed ?
    Who knows, it will depend on your branch, and depend on the situation at the time, the reserves, are what it says on the tin – a reserve to be used when needed – so if global peace breaks out, world poverty disappears and we all start to love each other, then there will be fewer calls on the Reserves, however how likely is that – also, will the RN recruit enough sailors to man the 2 new carriers? If not, one option will be to ask the Reserves to fill! – sorry it’s not a black and white answer, but it is a truthful answer.

I'm interested in joining and after all training is completed id like to be deployed for a few months

Again, see above – depends on branch, and the needs of the service.

Finally, if you have started the recruitment process before, it is well worth contacting your local RNR Unit, who now have much more integration with the recruiters, and you can be in, and paid within a month!!!!!!!!!

Good Luck

5. If you have the time it is also possible, though not guaranteed, to do the 10 week Raleigh course in the RNR, which would give you a pretty good boost along the training pipeline. If you have ambitions of joining full time that is obviously helpful.

If you want to minimise the time to being deployable that would be the best bet as it is the quickest way through basic training.

6. Unfortunately due to work il struggle with time off

Il be very lucky to get the 12 days off I may be forced to use them as holiday days

Does anyone know the pay ? How much a day you would get ? And it says travel allowences I travel 30mile there and 30 back

7. Jamie
    you will start on £35.67 + whatever the % increase for last year and this year is
    (as this was from a link that was 2 yrs old
    -http://www.google.co.uk/url?q=http://www.raf.mod.uk/community/getmedia/downloader.cfm%3Ffile%3DB99DAFB1-5056-A318-A8C7B6D239F8C32E&sa=U&ei=UoQ1U66QD8mwhAeykoHICw&ved=0CB4QFjAA&usg=AFQjCNEtFpaFsi7d_5Bo_SoMDrBtSn263A)

As for travel expenses, you will not be paid for the first 3 miles in each direction, but thereafter it is about 20pence (ish) per mile.

Your nearest AFCO will be able to provide you with the latest and accurate information.

It might be worth checking with your employer on "Reserve Leave" , because some employers give Reservists up to 10 days extra paid leave, whilst others give you 10 days extra (but unpaid) leave.

sadly, at the end of the day, if your employer doesn't give you that extra leave, and/or you don't wish to use your own leave for 2 weeks worth of RNR training per year, you will struggle, and perhaps the RNR is not for you - But I genuinely hope it is!

8. Does that pay rise when you've completed first phase of training Raleigh how much does it go to?

9. Cut and paste the link into your browser, or failing that, type RNR RATES OF PAY into google - that's how I found the whole table of pay for all ranks and rates. Ok so it is a couple of yrs out of date, so add about 3% and also be aware that you get paid an extra day free for every 7 (poss 8) days you do, and you now (from 1st April) get a pension entitlement.

10. What he said ^^

I couldn't have put it better myself.:thumright: