Females/ younger people joining RFA

Hi there, I have my interview on Monday for a Steward Apprentice. Any advice or tips for the interview you can give? I have been revising all the ships, classes, where they are currently, compliments and the history of the rfa plus the rule of Steward Apprentice and Steward.
I passd mine for engineering officer a month or so ago. Really read up on rfa and their deployments. And why they’re in that area. Learn about key names in the rfa (David eagles) and have good examples of leadership, working in a team, times you’ve felt challenged, times you had to show moral strength and a good reason as to why you want to join. (Saying “good money and holiday” won’t cut it)

hope this is all useful

Shipwrek

Midshipman
I passd mine for engineering officer a month or so ago. Really read up on rfa and their deployments. And why they’re in that area. Learn about key names in the rfa (David eagles) and have good examples of leadership, working in a team, times you’ve felt challenged, times you had to show moral strength and a good reason as to why you want to join. (Saying “good money and holiday” won’t cut it)

hope this is all useful
Thank you, yes very helpful and reassuring as I have researched all of the above, so that makes me feel a lot better.

Skylarker

Lantern Swinger
Thank you, yes very helpful and reassuring as I have researched all of the above, so that makes me feel a lot better.
Any advice i can give is just he yourself, don't put on a false confidence, just be you. On my course our make up was 4 females to 2 males. The females ranged from 18 to late 40's and all came from all walks of life.

For one it was her first proper job, another it was from working on cruise ships, another had worked ferries and another had worked NHS and other things.

The RFA doesn't want you to be a perfect fit because they value what you bring as an individual and that you can fit the team.

The Steward is the hearts and mind of the ship, the moral booster and the smile after a rubbish day. As long as you can can the job, do it well or happy to learn to do just that, you'll have a space.

I have a post pinned at the top of the RFA forum full of advice and tips to help people starting their careers, take a look. Any advice or help I can offer just drop me a message!

Skylarker

Lantern Swinger
Any advice i can give is just he yourself, don't put on a false confidence, just be you. On my course our make up was 4 females to 2 males. The females ranged from 18 to late 40's and all came from all walks of life.

For one it was her first proper job, another it was from working on cruise ships, another had worked ferries and another had worked NHS and other things.

The RFA doesn't want you to be a perfect fit because they value what you bring as an individual and that you can fit the team.

The Steward is the hearts and mind of the ship, the moral booster and the smile after a rubbish day. As long as you can can the job, do it well or happy to learn to do just that, you'll have a place.

I have a post pinned at the top of the RFA forum full of advice and tips to help people starting their careers, take a look. Any advice or help I can offer just drop me a message!

Shipwrek

Midshipman

The Steward is the hearts and mind of the ship, the moral booster and the smile after a rubbish day. As long as you can can the job, do it well or happy to learn to do just that, you'll have a space.

Thank you, that is great advice. I will have a look at your post.

EightSixteen

Badgeman
Not sure if this is relevant but anyone have any idea when RFA Cadet Deck Officer applications will be open again?

Can't tell you when but I'm led to believe the number of Deck Cadets per intake is set to reduce to just two (from an original 6?) moving forward to backfill a near empty SE plot.

I believe this to be the same for Engineering Cadetships too, so competition will be fierce. Great time to consider becoming an SE though!

EightSixteen

Badgeman
That seems really rough, if that's the case!
As with everything in the RFA, decisions are made to suit "business needs".

We have a lot of spare deck officers at the lower ranks, same with the ME's but to a lesser extent. The SE branch however is allegedly down on manpower by 25% at every rank. Strangely enough, they have had the smallest allocation of cadetships in recent years.

Trends chop and change but right now, SE's are a rare commodity and the "business needs" more.

Jago

Midshipman
After my AIB in 2015, I was put on a two year waiting list for the Deck cadetship; I immediately transferred to the SE cadetship and it was genuinely one of the best decisions I ever made. Smugly waltzing around on day work- without having a UMS box to deal with in your cabin either- is a decent place to be. Especially if you're lucky enough to be one-in-five...

Last edited:

Random

Lantern Swinger
After my AIB in 2015, I was put on a two year waiting list for the Deck cadetship; I immediately transferred to the SE cadetship and it was genuinely one of the best decisions I ever made. Smugly waltzing around on day work without having a UMS box to deal with in your cabin either is a decent place to be. Especially if you're lucky enough to be one-in-five...
Argus fully manned was 1 in 6 (assuming SEO played with the adults) and being the Hospital SE was a great job for me for a few trips.