Females/ younger people joining RFA

witsend

MIA
Book Reviewer
Your end of town? a fair amount of the RFA are from north of the wall, and no surprises more than a few grew up within the more interesting areas near the Clyde.

For those without your Google Fu one of unions has a nice write up on her, which should explain why I think @tilly5mint might find her an interesting person to reach out to for a chat.

I was reading the Clydebank post article that had a proud mum having her say. Susan an auld TS Queen Elizabeth girl??

tilly should definitely follow Susans example on how it’s done.

tilly5mint

Midshipman
I was reading the Clydebank post article that had a proud mum having her say. Susan an auld TS Queen Elizabeth girl??

tilly should definitely follow Susans example on how it’s done.
I’m definitely going to get in contact with her! Thanks everyone this conversations great - let’s keep it going and see if we can get more women engaging interest in maritime.

RFA at HMS Raleigh

Lantern Swinger
Hey all,

Just looking to see if there’s any younger people wanting to join the RFA who want to talk about the process/have already joined to give some insight. I feel like it’s a very male dominated career with a lot of older people (not that it’s a bad thing I would just want some friends at work in my own age bracket too) I’m a 19 year old girl about to graduate next year so just want some people to be able to chat to about it around my own age. If there’s any girls on here looking for someone to talk to I’m more than happy as I feel like I’m living in a mans world
Thanks in advance xx
Good evening,

I have had on the last couple of intakes of Apprentices a higher percentage of females coming through. One group of stewards was all female. The last two deckie groups I have had a 17 year old female in with 9 guys, so it really depends. On the cadet side, it again varies form intake to intake. Equally I might have a younger intake, a more experienced intake or an equal mixture across a broad range of ages.

Have you an idea about what role looking at as may be able to find someone to give you their experience.

Regards

Last edited:
Hey all,

Just looking to see if there’s any younger people wanting to join the RFA who want to talk about the process/have already joined to give some insight. I feel like it’s a very male dominated career with a lot of older people (not that it’s a bad thing I would just want some friends at work in my own age bracket too) I’m a 19 year old girl about to graduate next year so just want some people to be able to chat to about it around my own age. If there’s any girls on here looking for someone to talk to I’m more than happy as I feel like I’m living in a mans world
Thanks in advance xx
Yes i have my interview wednesday for the steward apprentice! Im 22

tilly5mint

Midshipman
Good evening,

I have had on the last couple of intakes of Apprentices a higher percentage of females coming through. One group of stewards was all female. The last two deckie groups I have had a 17 year old female in with 9 guys, so it really depends. On the cadet side, it again varies form intake to intake. Equally I might have a younger intake, a more experienced intake or an equal mixture across a broad range of ages.

Have you an idea about what role looking at as may be able to find someone to give you their experience.

Regards
Hi there, thank you for your response!
It is really promising to hear that more females are getting involved with the RFA. In terms of what role I would enter as, I think I would prefer to be a deckie as it seems there are more opportunities for progression at work, but I'm completely open to any really! I have briefly looked at the steward role too as that seems to be quite popular. I would be more than happy to speak to someone you know about it just to get a more informed idea of what its like.

Thanks again