Female Warfare officers (SM)?

Discussion in 'Submariners' started by Bunhead, Jan 2, 2015.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I'm hoping to join as a submariner in the Warfare branch and I've been getting lots of mixed answers about whether female Warfare officers can join the submarine service.

My ACLO and a CPO I know say they can't, but a Lt and a Cdr I've spoken to say they can. All four are really switched on so I don't quite know who to believe.

My AIB's in a few weeks so if anybody knows whether it's possible or not, I'd be really grateful for a definitive answer! Thank you very much and have a lovely new year.

2. Firstly, it's worrying that your ACLO doesn't know that the submarine service is now open to female officers, warfare included.

Secondly, it's worrying that, as a prospective warfare officer, you didn't think to look on the RN website where you would have found out that you can join as a submarine warfare officer in about 2 mins.

Although on second thoughts, relying on someone else to find out something for you is a pretty standard dabber way of doing things.

• Like Like x 2
  3. I was trying to think of something witty and clever to say, but I decided to sit with my head in my hands instead.....

This lady represents my leaders of tomorrow - yet seems unaware of a major story in both the national and maritime press from the past few months.

I agree with Pompey though - the AFCO seem somewhat behind the curve too. Although, to be fair the first three through are not SM (X): http://www.royalnavy.mod.uk/news-and-latest-activity/news/2014/may/05/140505-female-submariners

BH

PS: Doubtless Ninja will be along shortly with Chapter and verse...

4. I understand what you're saying, but I've been told that it's only logisticians and engineers that are allowed to. The website was another thing that confused me.

I did try to find it out for myself but everyone and everything is incredibly contradictory.

I was just hoping to avoid another embarrassing repeat of my sift interview during which my ACLO stopped me halfway through my answer about the training pipeline to tell me that I couldn't be a submariner.

5. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

Scary stuff!

So far as I'm aware there are no restrictions on females joining any branch in the submarine service. What I would add is a cautionary caveat that there maybe delays in under-subscribed SM branches until there are sufficient female applicants in the cohort to enable the course to run.

The difficult bit from a careers perspective is whilst the MOD blithely makes a sweeping announcement, eager to push the image of being an equal ops employer, the practical aspects such as retro fitting female quarters for adequate billets on boats takes a little longer unfortunately. Consequently, despite having an ACLO in need of a re-brief, the policy is to process applicants with the caveat there maybe training pipeline delays.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Thank you, Ninja!

I hoped she meant it would just be a bit delayed because of those reasons.
    She's on maternity leave as of about a fortnight ago but her replacement seems alright.

Thanks again, I really appreciate it!

• Like Like x 1

7. Ahh - that narrows down the guilty person a tad. Anyone know a recruiting office which has just lost an RN recruiter though this?

8. Oh no, she's been absolutely lovely from start to finish. I'm sure she just made a mistake's all, it's not the end of the world.

9. The problem revolves around the fact only one class of Boat can take women to sea at the moment - SSBNs. As a Warfare Officer, being limited to just one class of Boat, doing one very specific thing, would career foul you massively. I would be remarkably surprised if we allow Female Warfare Officers in the Submarine Service for a while yet, i.e. until they/you can serve in SSNs.

10. wave_dodger

wave_dodger War Hero Book Reviewer

I think we both know any female having undergone an SM appointment will in no way be career fouled....quite the opposite

11. However you skin it, Perisher requires masses of skills she would never do in an SSBN. Hell, so would PWO(SM) and FNO(SM).

12. May be the Bombers could be training the FWO for the rest of the fleet, when there is a billet, the same as 'O' Boats trained future skippers of hunter killers? just a forward looking thought?

13. wave_dodger

Isn't what I meant...a female doing the SM route at this stage, politically will never be career fouled. Pathfinders rarely are.

14. That's a far point, I was taking to a gent who used to teach Perisher and he said he was unsure about how FWO would be able to take courses to further their careers. I don't mind though, I just like submarines. I might be kicking myself for it in about ten years but it's what I want to do. :)

15. Tell the ex-CO PTLD that.....

16. In fairness though, from all available information, she fouled herself!

• Like Like x 1
  17. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

I rather suspect the mob is in for a good thrashing if anyone's career prospects differ from their peers on grounds of gender somehow, regardless of practicalities or actualities.

18. I reckon Ninja has hit the nail squarely on the swede!

19. wave_dodger

All depends how its presented - person does one or two SM jobs doesn't follow the full route but then goes skimmer and gets into the normal route - no career foul but doubtlessly enhanced by the SM experience. Actually there are some current warfaries who have done a pretty similar thing and its helped them no end.

• Like Like x 2