Female submariner entry

Hello all - first post going up as I've been reading and researching discussions on here for a fair bit of time and haven't found an exact answer to my question (I've seen plenty of "have you tried using the search bar?" And I didn't want to be another one of those). I've been a reservist almost a year and a half and I'm finally deciding to make the leap to go full time.

I've always been fascinated with the submarine service and I've got a gut feeling that's what I should go for.

The question is...Is there any chance of transferring to GS in the future, near or far? I'd love to serve in both, and eventually would like to see a bit of where I'm actually travelling. The dilemma for me is whether to go subs and transfer to GS, or to go the other way; GS to subs.

As for branches, are there branches that are a lot more transferrable between the two? I'm considering CIS, or ET. A lot to think about.

I'd really appreciate any advice on about anything mentioned above, or on subs in general!

I should think you've more chance of transferring into the submarine service than out of it. Get some fresh air while you can is my advice.

HMS Westminster was docked in our port last Sunday and our unit went for a visit. The officer showing us about said he was really only in his 3rd year in the RN and had transferred subs to GS because he "didn't like the nuclear physics" but had his dolphins etc. Do you reckon he got out a lot easier due to him being an officer..?

Sumo

War Hero
Substitute 'failed' for 'didn't like'
Possible
Few on here did skimmers first then boats, as said above, if you go boats first, you may find you cannot take the pay drop, to go to GS?
End of the day your call I did 12 year skimmers 12 boats enjoyed both?

As a former sundodger, go GS first. Both CIS and ET are transferable to boats after further boat specific courses.. As a female you'll only get bombers (at the moment) and no foreign visits to speak of.

If you go boats you will be based in Faslane.

Ninja_Stoker

War Hero
If you join as a subnariner, as your AFCO will tell you, you'll complete at least 5 years before eligible to go GS. If you join GS, you can volunteer as a submariner at any point in your career.

Yeah, see that's what I've thought. But I've been told by a senior rate that people end up transferring after their first proper tour in a sub because they hated it or it wasn't for them..

T5igger

Lantern Swinger
Hey,
I'm currently going through the process now, Raleigh start date 23rd July. I'm going in as an Medical assistant and I'm really excited. (Also a female) A lot of people I've met and chatted to have said you need to be a certain type of person to be a submariner, it appeals to me so much so I'm going for it.

(There's also less waiting times and better pay haha)

Ah well done, best of luck.

I've heard that a lot myself, and people either seem to love the idea of subs, or hate it. Are you wanting to go GS at all or are you quite happy to stay under the Sea?

Ninja_Stoker

War Hero
Yeah, see that's what I've thought. But I've been told by a senior rate that people end up transferring after their first proper tour in a sub because they hated it or it wasn't for them..
This is not correct unfortunately, once you commit, that's it for five years.

A senior rate incidentally is a Petty Officer, Chief Petty Officer or Warrant Officer, none of which are commissioned officers. A commissioned trainee officer who 'hated it' may well be ditched by the submarine service because a leader/manager who doesn't want to be there is a liability.

T5igger

Lantern Swinger
I'm hoping to spend my whole career on the subs. I love the science aspect of it and I find it much more interesting than the ships.

To be honest and my opinion may change, but there's not much difference spending 6 months on a sub than a ship apart from no fresh air? You're still stuck in a small space with the same people...

No foreign travel at all? Is that due to me being a female or?
No foreign because SSBN's ( or bombers as they're known) due to their very nature, the whole idea is nobody knows where they are.

SSN's (hunter/killers as the press call them) do get foreign runs ashore but not as many as the surface dwellers :)

And the fact that females are only working on bombers at the moment, is that set to change?

All these replies have been really helpful so far by the way guys, thanks a lot

I'm hoping to spend my whole career on the subs. I love the science aspect of it and I find it much more interesting than the ships.

To be honest and my opinion may change, but there's not much difference spending 6 months on a sub than a ship apart from no fresh air? You're still stuck in a small space with the same people...
Longest you'll spend dived is 3 months, the air is clean and nice as we make it ourselves, as an MA you're the one who monitors it.

"Fresh" air actually stinks, as you'll find out when the hatches are opened after 3 months dived.