Female Sailors

higthepig said:
Two things come to mind why are they still called WRENS?Are they not Royal Navy now instead of womens royal navy?And can someone explain to me why they wear a sailor suit,are we the only navy on earth where that happens?Its just that i saw one on the news today,and what a bag of shit she looked,the female form is surely not suited to it,what was wrong with the uniform they used to wear?Icant think of a Logical answer ,but no doubt someone will start to put me in the picture as uaual,no abuse please im an OAP,and delicate.
Was that the one shown in the background with John Prescott?.................Think she would be safe, 10 pinter.

mmmmmmmmm! I was the lucky one, depending on your view however. The majority of my Naval career was spent with Royal so I wore denims, which naturally were a little on the tight side!! :wink: Mind you the hairy shirts were a bloody nightmare!

FlagWagger

GCM
Book Reviewer
higthepig said:
Oh good grief,dont tell me its all one piece,cant you tie a sailors bow on the tapes,but then if its all one piece,its no wonder it looks a bag of s****perhaps someone from the older uniform who is still in would care to explain.
Would you be referring to older uniform that had the separate collar tied around the waist under the jacket which was then worn over the jacket's collar, with the separate silk which worn under the collars and held in place with the tapes. For a real tiddly look, the silk had a bight below the tapes of about a hand's width. Oh yeah, nearly forgot, lost in the mists of time, there were horizontal creases in the trousers, ideally 7 the width of a pay book I think, but short ar$es like myself could get away with 5!

higthepig said:
Oh good grief,dont tell me its all one piece,cant you tie a sailors bow on the tapes,but then if its all one piece,its no wonder it looks a bag of s****perhaps someone from the older uniform who is still in would care to explain.

I think you old timers would be appalled by the uniform now.

The collar attaches to the jacket with velcro.

The two ends of the silk are not sewn together by the wearer, it is adjusted by velcro which then sits under the collar.

The ribbon is permanently attached to the bottom of the silk and fastens to the two beckets on the jacket with a press stud.

The lanyard is still the same.

I can never get mine to look right!

Explains why the lanyard appears to be worn 'a la Sea Cadet' style.

Used to be that the lanyard knot was just above the bight of the silk (about 2") , and the loop about 3" wide below the tapes and behind the silk.

We older jacks used to tuck part of the lanyard in the left & right (or should that be Port & Starboard ?) inner pockets of the jumper, and either extend or cut the collar tapes so that they were tucked back almost to the armpits.

Does the cap ribbon bow still have to be tied, or is that elasticated these days ?

janner

MIA
Book Reviewer
FlagWagger said:
higthepig said:
Would you be referring to older uniform that had the separate collar tied around the waist under the jacket which was then worn over the jacket's collar, with the separate silk which worn under the collars and held in place with the tapes. For a real tiddly look, the silk had a bight below the tapes of about a hand's width. Oh yeah, nearly forgot, lost in the mists of time, there were horizontal creases in the trousers, ideally 7 the width of a pay book I think, but short ar$es like myself could get away with 5!
Thats the one, if everything came together properly and you had the sort of body I had (then)(racing snake comes to mind) you walked ashore looking the bee's knees. one sighting of Jack in full rig and there was the danger of another local maiden coming over all unnecessary. Mind you if you were anything over about 10 stone and under 6 feet tall it didn't work in the same way.

Geoff_Wessex

Lantern Swinger
janner said:
Thats the one, if everything came together properly and you had the sort of body I had (then)(racing snake comes to mind) you walked ashore looking the bee's knees. one sighting of Jack in full rig and there was the danger of another local maiden coming over all unnecessary. Mind you if you were anything over about 10 stone and under 6 feet tall it didn't work in the same way.

See picture left <--------- to see what Janner means! 8) :D :p :wink:

Shakey said:

The two ends of the silk are not sewn together by the wearer, it is adjusted by velcro which then sits under the collar.

The ribbon is permanently attached to the bottom of the silk and fastens to the two beckets on the jacket with a press stud.

Velcro??? What is the RN coming to? I could understand it if you wore plastic, waterproof collars today (alias bibs) infront of your white fronts during meal times, to keep the stray baked beans from sullying your whites, but as part of a smart uniform? 8O

I fear that the ribbon will indeed be the next victim, secured with pop studs rather than secured round the brim properly. Perhaps ratings today are finding typing a bow tie back-to-front, too challenging? :roll:

NozzyNozzer said:
Shakey said:

Velcro??? What is the RN coming to? I could understand it if you wore plastic, waterproof collars today (alias bibs) infront of your white fronts during meal times, to keep the stray baked beans from sullying your whites, but as part of a smart uniform? 8O

I fear that the ribbon will indeed be the next victim, secured with pop studs rather than secured round the brim properly. Perhaps ratings today are finding typing a bow tie back-to-front, too challenging? :roll:
You should remeber flap front trousers and non zipped tops then.

Peter

At the end of the day, girlie sailors will ALWAYS be referred to as Wrens as it is traditional, along with all the other traditional nicknames. I too think their 'sailor' rig looks crap, the old uniform with the discretely placed top two buttons was fine.

And the ladies should not wear 5's trousers (or whatever they are called now). They just aren't suitable for the lady's shape.

Also the RM's now have no rig to wear at weekends on board.... :D

dunkers said:
Horizontal creasing of trousers was abolished in 1977 and replaced with fore and aft creasing (according to what i was told)
ZUG - Negative for non-communicators. The 'old' rig was replaced in 1981 with the current one we have now. So the old creases (paybook size) were then replaced with the the fore and aft creasing. This new rig also had the silk sown in and the collar attached by velcro. We then said goodbye to...

Bellbottom trousers with 5 or 7 creases (nbr dependant on whether vertically challenged)
Tiddly jackets with Honky Fide dragons in the cuffs (underneath)
Proper blue jean collar which was independantly attached via the waist (and cut across the middle so we could get it higher up)
A black silk made up correctly with a twist in it.

The new rig is arse IMHO and it looks a mess on any sailor, whether thin or fat.

As for the girls. Sorry, but for me the best rig they used wear was always the blouse, skirt, webbing and court shoes. Used to spin my props anyway. No4s (old 8's) look horrendous and the new trousers are more akin to 'Billy and Johnny' clothes.

Just my two bobs worth :lol:

brigham600 said:
No4s (old 8's) look horrendous and the new trousers are more akin to 'Billy and Johnny' clothes.

Just my two bobs worth :lol:
I don't think the new trousers are that bad, I like the pockets on the side, I can keep my notepad in them and it doesn't get bent when I sit down

The RN is full of tradition...and tho not as old as some the term 'Wren' is a tradition that I think should be kept.

When I joined up in the 80's we were proud to be in the most feminine of the womens services (well thats what we were told).

Equality is all very well and dressing in trousers is obviously practical at sea but he square rig I was forced to wear in the late 90's did nothing for the female shape. Thankfully I was promoted :wink:

Why don't they let a women design a suitable comfortable uniform for the female personnel. Alternatively ladies opt to become nurses!!!!!!!

It was the uniform that made me join the QARNNS in the good old 60'S