Navy Net - Royal Navy Community

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Female Sailors

Two things come to mind why are they still called WRENS?Are they not Royal Navy now instead of womens royal navy?And can someone explain to me why they wear a sailor suit,are we the only navy on earth where that happens?Its just that i saw one on the news today,and what a bag of shit she looked,the female form is surely not suited to it,what was wrong with the uniform they used to wear?Icant think of a Logical answer ,but no doubt someone will start to put me in the picture as uaual,no abuse please im an OAP,and delicate.
 
D

Deleted 7

Guest
I hated being labelled a Wren!

However, our No1's are slighty shaped differently to the guys ones. And I agree the uniform does nothing for us!
 
higthepig said:
Two things come to mind why are they still called WRENS?Are they not Royal Navy now instead of womens royal navy?And can someone explain to me why they wear a sailor suit,are we the only navy on earth where that happens?Its just that i saw one on the news today,and what a bag of shit she looked,the female form is surely not suited to it,what was wrong with the uniform they used to wear?Icant think of a Logical answer ,but no doubt someone will start to put me in the picture as uaual,no abuse please im an OAP,and delicate.

For the oldsters here they will always be Wrens. I too find I have caveats about lasses in lads kit but I suppose if you are promoting a culture of equality and modernity, and square rig is a good, traditional recruiting emblem, then the lasses are as likely to like them. It would be interesting to hear the views of contemporary naval lasses/ladies as to their views. Having said all this I DO think that the top half of a wren's traditional outfit does suit Rincewind! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
 
My last DO in the Mob was the first WREN to go to sea.
I remember we had a wee ceremony when she swapped her blue epaulettes for gold.
The hierarchy loved it, in fact there was a damp patch. From whom?......we weren't quite sure.

She was routinely overruled by the Charge Chiefs, so we weren't quite sure what she was for.
 

dondon

MIA
I just love the damp patch's , and must agree , most of them look like a bag of shite , but then again so do most of the blokes , bring back the old rig , 5 or 7 creases in the trolleys , i could only manage 5 , being a bit of a short arse.
 
dondon said:
I just love the damp patch's , and must agree , most of them look like a bag of shite , but then again so do most of the blokes , bring back the old rig , 5 or 7 creases in the trolleys , i could only manage 5 , being a bit of a short arse.

When were the creasing of trousers abolished. I thought it looked very smart (though a bit of a chore ironing the ruddy things)?
 
She told me, one night when on watch in HQ1, that she had to have her steaming bats specially made (size 3), and that she bought a lot of her clothes in Mothercare.

Whilst I was a bit unsure as to why she felt the need to share these facts with me, I couldn't help myself by saying she was a typical Naval Officer in that she only shopped in Mothercare to avoid paying VAT on her knickers.



Edit.
Please excuse me while I adjust my dress. It seems I'm now a badgeman.
 

dunkers

War Hero
I've just joined the RNR (I'm 18 ) and some instructors there refer to the females as Wrens, eg "wren writer", which means the recruits pick it up too.
Personally I think females in men's kit looks sh1te, what's "equal" in making women look like men?
 

dunkers

War Hero
Horizontal creasing of trousers was abolished in 1977 and replaced with fore and aft creasing (according to what i was told)
 

dondon

MIA
Yep they did look smart , they even wear shirts now instead of white fronts , another big mistake , i won't even mention the bloody jackets . and the old number 8s were a lot better as well , the denim type looked the biz when they started to fade a bit , did'nt feel such a sprog then .
 
No 2s with fore and aft creases were issued for a few weeks before I joined, however my class was the first not to be issued with No 1s until the completion of Pt 2 training.

Obviously an exercise in cost cutting.

Pusser, in their wisdom, never told the Instructors, so our lives were made Hell for the first week, as we'd lived in our Nos.2s and then were expected to go on Ceremonial Divisions wearing them.

Oh, it was bad!

And then when we eventually got our No.1s, they had fore and aft creases.

Man!, it truly sucked!
 

janner

MIA
Book Reviewer
Jenny_Dabber said:
I hated being labelled a Wren!

However, our No1's are slighty shaped differently to the guys ones. And I agree the uniform does nothing for us!

As a bloke, I'm sure you did 8O
 
D

Deleted 7

Guest
janner said:
Jenny_Dabber said:
I hated being labelled a Wren!

However, our No1's are slighty shaped differently to the guys ones. And I agree the uniform does nothing for us!

As a bloke, I'm sure you did 8O

Listen, I'll take you round the back of the lockers sunny boy! I ain't a dude and I know you are only saying this for photographic proof!! Ask PTP!
 

sidon55

Lantern Swinger
higthepig said:
Two things come to mind why are they still called WRENS?Are they not Royal Navy now instead of womens royal navy?And can someone explain to me why they wear a sailor suit,are we the only navy on earth where that happens?Its just that i saw one on the news today,and what a bag of shit she looked,the female form is surely not suited to it,what was wrong with the uniform they used to wear?Icant think of a Logical answer ,but no doubt someone will start to put me in the picture as uaual,no abuse please im an OAP,and delicate.

No your not the only Navy that have women in mens outfits. The Oz navy also have the females in sailors rig, complete with those stupid oval caps
 

janner

MIA
Book Reviewer
Jenny_Dabber said:
janner said:
Jenny_Dabber said:
I hated being labelled a Wren!

However, our No1's are slighty shaped differently to the guys ones. And I agree the uniform does nothing for us!

As a bloke, I'm sure you did 8O

Listen, I'll take you round the back of the lockers sunny boy! I ain't a dude and I know you are only saying this for photographic proof!! Ask PTP!

Not at all, I believe I have seen a photo in the Gallery 8O
 
D

Deleted 7

Guest
janner said:
Jenny_Dabber said:
janner said:
Jenny_Dabber said:
I hated being labelled a Wren!

However, our No1's are slighty shaped differently to the guys ones. And I agree the uniform does nothing for us!

As a bloke, I'm sure you did 8O

Listen, I'll take you round the back of the lockers sunny boy! I ain't a dude and I know you are only saying this for photographic proof!! Ask PTP!

Not at all, I believe I have seen a photo in the Gallery 8O

WHAT!!!!!!! Where!!
 
Nozzer square rig good for recruiting,yes male surely,best uniform ever for pulling, are you insinuating,jenny does too?for me it was the old uniform,christ it must be like pulling your oppo.
 

dondon

MIA
Agree best uniform for pulling , pulled a few bonny lasses in rig , pulled a few not's so bonny as well i must admit , but only after a couple of sherbits , memmeries .
 
dondon said:
Agree best uniform for pulling , pulled a few bonny lasses in rig , pulled a few not's so bonny as well i must admit , but only after a couple of sherbits , memmeries .


Memmeries ---------------- fink you should have said Mammaries 8O 8O
 
Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
J Female sailors: Most Senior KIA History 7
Blondie2000 Female joining RN engineering apprenticeship Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 60
MoD_RSS UK supports South African female GreenTech entrepreneurs MoD News 0
D Female joining Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 5
MoD_RSS UKEF supports college as it offers female education in Saudi Arabia MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Hull’s first female GP tops public vote in bridge-naming competition MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Finalists announced for the International Tech Hub Network’s Female Tech Founders and TeXchange programmes MoD News 0
MoD_RSS 2019 Asma Jahangir scholarship awarded to the top-ranking female Chevening scholar MoD News 0
MoD_RSS UK aid to break down barriers for female entrepreneurs in Africa MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: Review finds family ties 'utterly indispensable' to rehabilitation of female offenders MoD News 0
mayabear Formal Interview ; what to wear? (Female) Joining the Royal Navy 8
MoD_RSS News story: Female representation in the City is rising thanks to Treasury Charter MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: Nine female innovators receive UK Government funding to develop inventions with global potential MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: Defence Secretary and apprentices meet military’s most senior female officer on International Women’s Day MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: Women in Innovation: 9 female-led businesses backed MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: Landmark review sparks action to boost number of female entrepreneurs MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: RAF Engineer becomes first ever UK female military three-star Commander MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: Celebrating the first female president of the APA MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: Justice Secretary announces new female offender funding at Women's Aid speech MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: Israel AI programme will help female innovators’ ideas succeed MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: Funding boost for vulnerable female offenders in the community MoD News 0
soleil Strategy Page: "Female Tars: Women Aboard Ship in the Age of Sail - Suzanne J. Stark" The Book Club 3
MoD_RSS News story: Defence Secretary praises contribution female military personnel make to keeping Britain safe MoD News 2
SA-Sharky Questions for serving female, or husbands with wives in the navy Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 9
MoD_RSS News story: British military chief welcomes largest number of female Afghan officer graduates MoD News 0
McHarp Female submariner entry Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 80
M Female press up standards Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 3
MoD_RSS News story: UK-trained female soldiers to take the fight to Daesh MoD News 1
P 53yo female-= what's the realistic chances of being able to join RFA 7
MoD_RSS News story: Armed Forces Minister praises female cadets on graduation from Afghanistan’s... MoD News 0
M Female fitness standards! Health & Fitness 2
KerryPC24 Female hair regulations Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 2
Bunhead Female Warfare officers (SM)? Submariners 21
Ahoy89 Medical Query *Female Issues!* Health & Fitness 3
Ahoy89 Fitness Test... Female 25yrs? Health & Fitness 12
Ninja_Stoker Submarine Service now officially open to Female applicants. Submariners 142
soleil Mail: "The Maternity Military: How Nearly 100 Female Soldiers Have Been Sent Home" Current Affairs 14
soleil Mirror: "Sub Hunting With First Female Commander Of Major Royal Navy Warship" The Fleet 20
soleil Mail: "Female RAF Recruits Get £100k ... Because They Were Made To March Like Men" Current Affairs 92
soleil RN Website: "First Female Search And Rescue Aircrewman" The Fleet Air Arm 19
soleil "Greater Recognition For Senior Female Officers" UPO/Careers Office 27
2and2makes5 Female Push Ups Health & Fitness 56
trelawney126 Female US Sailor beats off Attacker Diamond Lil's 2
F The first female president of the USA Diamond Lil's 22
F Male versus female Miscellaneous 6
soleil T'Graph: "RN Launches Its First Women's Network To Boost Number Of Female Commanders" The Fleet 3
soleil Telegraph: "Meet The Commander Giving The Royal Navy A Female Touch" The Fleet 65
MoD_RSS News story: First female RAF search and rescue commander MoD News 0
WreckerL Female Bishops Diamond Lil's 1
soleil "Navy's First Female Senior Observer Reaches Another Milestone At RNAS Culdrose" The Fleet Air Arm 7
Similar threads


















































Top