Female Push Ups

Discussion in 'Health & Fitness' started by 2and2makes5, Jul 5, 2013.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hey, I was wondering if anyone knew whether push ups for girls were on their knees or not?

On the pictures and booklets it shows girls doing them on their knees but both the Army and the RAF ask girls to do full press ups.

I just don't want to get there having managed to do 17 only to find out it is full press ups, which I can only do about 2 of them! I've only just started training so hopefully that will improve.

Thanks
    x

2. Blackrat

Blackrat War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

Right. Warning. As tempting as it is, sensible answers only you bunch of bastards. I direct this warning mainly at myself, but i'm watching.

• Like Like x 4
  3. (Insert the laughing smilie as i cant be arsed to find it)

I used to be awful at push ups and started practising them the 'girly way'. Once i could whack out a fair amount i started introducing the full ones and find them alright now, much like crawling to babies before they fully walk i found the knees way a good gateway to the harder stuff; the full ones. I think once you have the strength arms wise and get a feel for the form the regular ones will feel much easier. Not sure of any shortcuts but just keep at it :)

4. janner

janner War Hero Book Reviewer

In view of BR's post above I have no comment to make.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Haha and here I thought you guys could answer this maturely! ;)

6. Snigger!!!! :ncool::ncool:

7. I specifically tried to use the word knees as little as possible as well haha.

Any serious answers?

8. Blackrat

Blackrat War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

Not much chance of that. Rachelthree has given a sensible answer, and no doubt there will be others. You will need a thick skin to survive in the military and with some of the crowd on here.

Welcome to the site.

9. Hey thanks for your help, so on your test did they ask you to do full press ups?

10. Not sure, i have completed the recruitment process but waiting on a date for prnc and stuff. The full ones are harder so i reckon get them squared away and then if you can do the ladies version they will be a breeze, if not then can still be confident with the full ones. Another option is to start with circuits or something, i used to do the class at uni and having some scary instructor call you a pussy for doing the wimpy ones improves technique fairly fast :p

11. Yeah that's probably best. I did ring the RN 0845 number and at first she told me it was full press ups but then when I mentioned the booklets etc she asked her colleague and then said it was knee ones...for now.

I got my mate who's a personal trainer to set me some circuits and he yelled out 'C'mon you pussy!!' to me in the middle of the gym. Was a bit awkward. This old man told him off for not being a gentleman haha.

12. As Rachelthree said, once you can whack out a fair amount, though you may find that the full ones are indeed harder, you should be fine.

I fully agree with the moderator that this thread should not be cheapened by weak innuendo.

• Like Like x 2
  13. Hopefully someone who has done the training will be able to answer but yeah full ones are do able with a bit of work :) perhaps try an app if you have a smart phone, theres loadsa free ones and they might help set targets and stuff. Haha yeah, i find it helps- when i am thinking of quitting part way through a run or something i say stuff like that to myself in my head, probably a bit worrying but ah well it works :D are you doing any other exercises to help with upper body strength?

14. I'm doing some circuits with things like bench press, raised press ups, plank, burpees, lunges etc. That's a good idea about the phone - I need to download that app for the bleep test too. I'm wanting to apply in Sept when I get more annual leave from work, so hopefully I'll be ready. How about you? What role have you applied for?

15. Ah cool :) have you started the application process at all? The fitness test (which initially is a timed 2.4km run on a treadmill only) won't be straight away after applying, they have changed the order of the process since i applied- but as far as i know (worth checking at an afco) you'll at least have the RT test first, and probably the interview and medical. Waiting lists for trades are mostly quite long so might be an idea to get the ball rolling, as your 'wait' time starts from when you sit the initial test. I have applied for writer and just waiting for a date now. What trade are you thinking of?

And yea guzzler, keep the innurendos and smut out of this thread :p

• Like Like x 1
  16. tiddlyoggy

tiddlyoggy War Hero Book Reviewer

If that was deliberate it was very clever, as it opens up a whole load more "innuendos".

17. Yeah I can do the run in the 13min15s time now and it's killing me waiting. I need to brush up on my mechanical comprehension too, it's been years since I last did physics. That's cool, congrats! How long have you been waiting? I'm hoping to apply for Warfare Officer :)

18. Warfare officer sounds good, pretty sure (but again check) officers don't have the long wait times like ratings roles do so all good. Yeah i was really worried about the mech bit of the test but i found as long as you practice getting confident answering things quickly by using brain training on the ds and timing your practice tests then it makes it a lot easier. There are loads of threads on here with links to helpful revision tools and links so hopefully you'll find all of that useful :) i did that and managed to get a good pass at RT, the officer pass rate is highhhh but i got it and i dont know a spanner from a screwdriver haha. Been waiting about 16 months but the predicted wait is 30 so about halfway as long as the time doesn't go up! Been working hard on me fitness just in case i get a start date sooner than expected, but not holding my breath :p

Tiddlyoggly: it was indeed intentional, i am glad you caught it :D

19. tiddlyoggy

tiddlyoggy War Hero Book Reviewer

And there's another one.

• Like Like x 1
  20. brush up on your maths too! do basic stuff but be able to do it quickly. Loads of people except me was saying the maths was hard it was GCSE for god sakes and these people wanted to be officer. You have plenty of time to do the normal ones I would advise you to do them because then you will be well pre pared. Just try and do an extra one when you do circuit and you will be eventually be increasing it by two press ups and so on. Its all in the book to improve your press ups week buy week and its helped me I only could do 5 at the beginning and now after a few week I can do 3 sets of 15 so its helped me.