Female hair regulations

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by KerryPC24, Feb 25, 2015.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi everyone, I've just started the recruiting process to become a bugler in the RM band service. I've seen a lot of posts about how to deal with long hair - buns, pony tails, plaits etc - but nothing about short hair. The regulations say that hair shouldn't be 'excessively short' - what does that mean? How short is 'excessive'?

Thanks!

2. Having a Sinead O'Connor special may raise a few eyebrows!!

A Gail Porter special would probably blow a few gaskets as well.

3. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

3819. Female Personnel

a. Hair. Shall be kept neatly groomed and shall not extend below the lower edge of
    the shirt collar. Long hair should be worn up and properly secured in a neat and tidy
    fashion using grips, hairpins and nets where appropriate. Varying styles of hair,
    straight or curled, are permitted within these limits but unnatural hair colours (i.e. those
    colours that are not within the colour range of the individual’s natural hair colour) and
    exaggerated styles, including those with excessive fullness, shortness or extreme
    height are not permitted. In no case shall the bulk or length of the hair detract from a
    smart and well-groomed appearance or preclude the proper wearing of naval
    headdress. Hair ornaments, (including scrunchies, combs and alice bands) shall not
    be worn. Every effort shall be made to ensure that grips, hairpins and nets used to
    secure the hair are as unobtrusive as possible and are to be as near as possible to the
    colour of the hair. Hairstyles shall be secured or styled back from the face; this
    includes corn braids/ corn rows, which should be simple in design and absent beads
    and any other adornments. Ratings with long hair may wear it in a ‘pony tail’, secured
    with a non-synthetic (i.e. not man made fibre) tie when forming part of an emergency
    party so that breathing apparatus can be donned quickly without the need to remove
    hairgrips. This relaxation also extends to ratings off duty in their mess decks.

http://www.royalnavy.mod.uk/~/media...ents/reference library/br 3/Br3book/an38a.pdf Hair.jpg