Female Hair Raleigh

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by OptiMystic, Feb 28, 2008.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hey guys - another one for ya, you know how I like to keep you busy ;)

Liz (gf who doesn't have a computer so uses my account ;)) has just been reading up on the Raleigh joining tips and saw some comments about hair that's she been querying.

She's black, and has long hair in plaits that she has been growing for several years (quite difficult for afro peeps apparently) and she wanted to know whether she would be required to nip it all off before going?

Can anyone help with this?

cheers.

2. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

Sgt PB is probably the guru on this one, but as long as she can either plait it up or tie it back so as it's clear off her face, not touching her collar & she can wear the correct headgear, be it a beret, cap, or one of the alternatives permitted, then it's OK.

The same rules apply for all & people from all backgrounds are subject to the same dress regulations.

3. Ninja, genuine question - do the mob make exception for those who wear turbans? The Old Bill do.

4. Ever seen anyone try to put a gas mask over a turban? :afro:

5. Seaweed

Seaweed War Hero Book Reviewer

Sikhs used to wear turbans as part of uniform - blue for working rig, white for best - badge on brooch pinned to front. Looked pretty smart. Respirator drill, can't remember, too busy (1st day in the navy) watching another bod discovering that his AGR had been privily removed from its haversack and slung into a hedge as he was marching along. Same bod next morning trying to pipe the Still with his call full of pocket fluff - AIB's little joke I thought.

6. Exceptions can be made for those who wear turbans (ie those who require to wear one may do so).
    Edit: beaten to it by Seaweed! - by 20 mins too!

7. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

Genuine answer: Yes, I believe so, providing it isn't something the individual has chosen on a whim and is a long-standing cataloged commitment of observance to the respective faith.

The problem is that we cannot guarantee that the dietary needs of specific faiths can be categorically met.

8. At HMS Raleigh now in week two and loving it, there is a black girl in another division that has plaits but so long as she turns it into a bun they are fine. My PO has hair down to the small of her back but so long as turns it up she is fine. Blokes however its a two all over and I look like a bit of a prat.

9. I once managed to grow my hair down to the coller..................................................................then a crusher spotted me. :thumright:

10. I def remember a Sikh PO in Raleigh in the 80s, and am sure there was a Green Turban Lid Sikh bootneck too. Though in my hazy booze addled memory I can remember if I met him, or it was a gen dit?

11. Why is a number two given to all male recruits? whats wrong with short back and sides?

12. I remember the barber when I was at Raleigh back in the 80's asking "Do you want a No 2 or Short back and sides"

Didn't matter what you told him, we all walked out with the same cut - and that was a No 2 !

13. No square neck!! As they used to scream..

Good question though. You could understand it when it was all blokes in a class, as in everyone is equal etc., but now it's mixed?

14. may 1988 - Last in que for hair cut at Raleigh, sat in chair, short back & sides please mate, and that is what I got, only one in the intake not to be scalped.

Did get a little bit of pressure from Class PO (guy called Splash, cannot remember his surname) to get it cut shorter. I

15. sgtpepperband

sgtpepperband War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

BR 81 (Royal Navy and Royal Marines Uniform Regulations) Chapter 2 - Policy & Appearance (Section 2: Appearance)

Article 0221. General

1. The deportment and appearance of officers and ratings, whether in uniform or in civilian clothing, shall on all occasions reflect credit on the Naval Service and upon the individual. It is the responsibility and duty of all those in authority to ensure that the policies, regulations and instructions contained herein are adhered to.

2. Deportment. Personnel in uniform shall conduct themselves in a manner which projects a positive and military appearance.

3. Smart and presentable appearance. Officers and ratings in uniform shall be well groomed with smart and properly pressed uniform and clean footwear. In particular, buttons, fasteners and zips shall be kept closed; pockets shall not be bulged; personal items such as glasses, sun glasses, pens, pencils, key rings or papers shall not visibly protrude from pockets nor be suspended from waist belts or pockets. Mobile telephones or bleepers, personal radios, tape or CD players and other such electronic equipment, shall not be visibly worn, or operated except when provided from service sources for the performance of a specific duty where their ready accessibility is required.

4. Jewellery. Apart from wrist watches and cuff links where appropriate, no jewellery is to be worn with uniform other than those items listed below:

a. Signet , engagement and wedding ring for male personnel.

b. Signet, engagement and wedding ring, and a single small plain gold sleeper or stud (not more than 6mm in diameter) earring in the centre of each earlobe for female personnel.

c. When in Ward Dress a wedding ring is the only item of jewellery permitted to be worn by QARNNS personnel.

5. Local Orders for Royal Guards or other occasions of major ceremony may further limit items of jewellery to be worn.

6. Body piercing. Even where another part of the body other than the ear has been pierced or prepared, whether for any ring, stud or sleeper, no such items are to be worn.

7. Similarly when in plain clothes, the wearing of body jewellery and trinkets whilst on board or on duty is not permitted, nor at any other time when likely to reflect adversely upon the Naval Service.

8. Body Art. Body Art (Tattoos) should not extend above the collar or below the cuffs when in No 1 uniform dress.

Article 0222. Male Personnel

1. Hair. Shall be neatly groomed; taper trimmed at the back, sides and above the ears to blend with the hair style. On the top of the head it shall be no more than 15 cm in length and sufficiently short at the front and sides that when the hair is groomed and head-dress removed, no hair shall touch the ears or fall below the top of the eyebrows. It shall be kept above the shirt collar.

2. Hair shall be no greater than 4 cm in bulk at the top of the head, with the bulk decreasing gradually from the top and blending with the taper-trimmed back and sides. Bulk is defined as the distance that the mass of hair protrudes from the scalp when groomed, as distinct from the length of the hair. Styling shall not present an exaggerated or non-conformist appearance, nor shall it interfere with the proper wearing of head-dress. Excessively short hair can detract from a smart and well groomed appearance, however, may be permitted at the discretion of the Commanding Officer.

3. Sideburns. Shall not extend below the ear lobe, shall be of even width, and shall be taper trimmed and squared off to conform to the overall hair style. Sideburns for RM Personnel shall not extend below halfway down the ear.

4. Beards and moustaches. The commanding officer will permit all Naval Service (except RM) male personnel to request to wear full set beards. RM male personnel may wear moustaches at their option. Beards and moustache’s shall be kept neatly trimmed especially, in the case of beards, at the lower neck and cheekbones (see also Annex A).

5. When the safety of an individual might be jeopardised by his beard or moustache, such as in the wearing of oxygen or gas masks, it shall be modified in such a fashion as to accommodate the type of equipment required to be worn.

6. Beards or moustaches shall be shaved off if the conditions of paragraph 5 cannot be met.

Article 0223. Female Personnel

1. Hair. Shall be kept neatly groomed and shall not extend below the lower edge of the shirt collar. Long hair should be worn up. Varying styles of hair, straight or curled, are permitted within these limits but unnatural hair colours and exaggerated styles, including those with excessive fullness, shortness or extreme height are not permitted. In no case shall the bulk or length of the hair detract from a smart and well groomed appearance or preclude the proper wearing of naval head-dress. Hair ornaments, including scrunchies, shall not be worn. Every effort shall be made to ensure that grips, hairpins, nets and similar items used to secure the hair are as unobtrusive as possible. Hairstyles shall be secured or styled back from the face. Ratings with long hair may wear it in a ‘pony tail’, secured with a non-synthetic tie when forming part of an emergency party so that breathing apparatus can be donned quickly without the need to remove hair grips. This relaxation also extends to ratings off duty in their mess decks.

2. Make-up. When wearing uniform, or civilian clothes on duty, make-up shall be worn conservatively. This shall preclude the use of false eyelashes, heavy eyeliner, brightly coloured eye shadow, coloured nail polish and excessive facial make-up.

16. SPB

I take then that the as the comments on false eyelashes, heavye eyeliner etc only apply for females it is OK for males to wear these now.

17. Only for those who have come out of the closet :thumright:

18. janner

janner War Hero Book Reviewer

I'm suprised that no one has challenged the earrings for females only rule,

19. One of my killicks tried about 8 years ago.

He had the piercing but couldn't wear it.

Didn't get very far, although partly that's because nobody took it seriously.

20. Surely the fairest option would be to ban the wearing of earings while in uniform no matter which sex.
    When I was serving a number of matelots had pierced ears, but only wore earings when in civvies.