Feeling hard done by

Discussion in 'History' started by seafarer1939, Jul 15, 2010.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Feeling hard done by?fed up?think things could be better?spare a thought for Seaman Mackay.
    In 1794 he was on a small sloop and taken prisoner by two French Frigates.
    Forced to march a hundred miles to a prison he endured a lot,he tried to escape a few times,always was caught despite speaking French,and paid the price in punishment.
    Fell in love with a French girl but she died of Smallpox,he tried again to escape and eventually after 4 years trying he made it to Germany.
    From Cuxhaven he caught a packet to Yarmouth and finally sat down in a pub for a pint of real ale.
    He was then press ganged and sent to the West Indies!
    I hope he survived as nearly a third of all RN sailors died of Yellow Jack[Yellow Fever] until one of the most enlightened Captains and Surgeons realised that, whilst laying off shore no one caught Yellow Jack.
    A big break through.
    Next time you are down think of poor old seaman Mackay!

2. That's nothing. I once had to do a long morning watch followed by all day on part of ship followed by the long first on my sodding 18th birthday. 24 hours non stop work is for winners. I also got the shits once in Mumbai.

3. Hard luck son! I remember Mumbai,went ashore with my mate who looked a bit tanned,well more than tanned part Indian I suspected.
    I thought being blond haired I would have no trouble,as in Africa,S.America,Spain etc anywhere where blond hair was unusual I scored big time,in Sweden,Norway,Finland etc I may as well have stayed on board ship, it was barren.
    Anyway we walked into a bar and I chatted up a gorgeous Indian air hostess,she decided my mate was a better bet so he shagged her,much to my annoyance.
    Six months later he was still confined to the ship struck down by a dose of clap so bad they couldn't cure it!Eventually he went to hospital but I am thankful I missed that leg over as in that six months we visited some great runs ashore but not for him.
    Felt sorry for him but pretty lucky for me.