Feel like I'm being messed around...

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by officer_inland, Sep 14, 2009.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I already had a problem with my medical date being mucked up last month and now I've been told two different stories for what happens next! I phoned up last month after passing my medical and was told that everything was fine and to wait to hear for my AIB date which should be end of October/November time. Just to see if there had been any update and to show that I'm still keen, I phoned today and was told that I haven't done the PJFT which needs to be sorted. I have no problem with doing this but it is annoying that I have spent the last month waiting for nothing. I've tried to get in touch with the AIB but keep getting the answer phone. Getting a bit worried that the January intake is going to come and pass before I even get to the AIB!

Sorry for anyone bored at the end of this, I just needed somewhere to vent and wondered if anyone else has noticed this breakdown in communication.

Also, if I hadn't phoned to check on my application, would I have just been waiting and waiting thinking that one day my AIB date would come through the post?!? Grrrrrrrr :evil:
  2. Poor admin?? Nooooooooooooooo surely not?? Better get used to it :roll: :roll: :roll:
  3. If you can't take a joke, don't join up. :wink:
  4. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

Possibly the reason for the confusion is because there has been a convergence of Officer & Other Rank recruiting.

All Officers must now pass the recruiting test, eye test, medical examination & PJFT BEFORE they have the Sift interview & onward to the AIB.

Those who are legacy candidates, (ie: started the process before 01 september this year), have probably undertaken certain elements of selection, but not necessarily completed them in the correct order. Where possible those applying for the shortage trades (Warfare & Engineering) maybe able to complete the 'missed bits' retrospectively. "Speak" to your ACLO- ideally by email, to get things sorted.

Before attending AIB you must now complete the recruiting test, eye test, medical examination, PJFT & Sift interview before an AIB is requested. Generally we're looking at about 8 weeks from passing everything including the Sift interview to attending AIB - if you are ready.

Best of luck - you won't half feel silly if you get an early AIB & you're not ready! :lol:
  5. Or the routine officer writer has fckued off ashore again ??? blue card cnut :D :D :D
  6. Ninja_Stoker

The other tip for those trying to get in touch with ACLOs, AFCOs & AIB is that as the majority of those wishing to join the services as an Officer usually try to phone in the afternoon, with friday afternoons after 14:00 being by far the most popular.

Those that ring before 10:00 will often find they get an immediate answer. It may not be the one they want to hear, but they'll get an answer.
  7. Ninja Stoker - are you a CA by any chance?!
  8. Thanks for the replies Ninja. I understand that I'm going to have to do all the steps. I guess it's just frustrating after being told one thing to find out something else. Especially as I am raring to go now!
  9. Ninja_Stoker

It's a fair cop, guv.
  10. Feel like going beserk (Norwegian word ) pop in here with us lot

11. I always emailed AIB, always had a response within 3 days. I've called and left answer phone messages and never heard anything.
  12. Can really appreciate your frustration, was told in february to expect AIB by Easter, but am still a fortnight away from taking it having had a few incompetent doctors thrown in my path.

I concur with previous threads, having had more luck getting in contact with both AIB and my AFCO via e-mail than by phone. Have you tried carrier pigeon??Works in South Africa......

Heres hoping you fly through your PJFT and get back on track soon.
  13. Must admit I can share your frustration - Junior made initial contact last September and has been told now that he's missed the cut-off date for applying for sponsorship for this September.

However thanks to the advice from Ninja we have a plan of action.
  14. Just to add to the confusion. Today I have received a letter saying that I need my PJFT plus...another letter which I am guessing has come from a different department saying that they want me in for my pre-AIB brief. I thought I would get this letter after getting my AIB date (hope it hasn't been lost in the post!). Anyway, I'm going to have to try and phone the office tomorrow inbetween work and see what's going on. Don't think it helps that it seems like I have a new ACLO.
  15. Ninja_Stoker

Not quite sure where the confusion lies- you need to complete your PJFT before attending AIB & the AIB brief before attending AIB. If the letter hasn't arrived informing you of the AIB date (It's sometimes notified in the same letter calling you in for the AIB briefing) just ring the ACLO bright & early or if he/she resembles the legendary pimpernel, email the query with regard the date of the AIB.

The PJFT can be taken in most nominated gyms between 0900-20:00, 7 days a week, & takes about 12 mins 20 seconds to complete. (For young "blerks")

With a bit of careful 'officer-like' juggling, it is theoretically possible to find out when your AIB is, attend the briefing for the said AIB & deconflict the PJFT with both, so you are sat down listening to the brief rather than sweating on a treadmill like Michael Jackson in Toys 'R' Us when you should be being briefed or "AIB-ed"

Good luck.
  16. Potential Officer Impatient!!!!!! He'll go far
  17. Ninja_Stoker

It's probably wiser not to criticise a potential employer in the public domain. Equally it's beneficial to have critical feedback if we're getting it wrong, so we can try to get it right. Glass houses, lobbing bricks & all that.

Experience shows that not always, but very often, the reason things don't move forward are due to elements of selection not being completed or details updated when requested or changed.

Funnily enough those that complain the loudest are often the one's that don't make the cut, then again if we were as perfect as all our applicants, we'd be out of a job.