feel like i let down the FAA

Discussion in 'The Fleet Air Arm' started by Physical, Jan 16, 2009.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. well joining as an AET was a nice dream while it lasted, the dream is still to join the navy like but at my medical i found out im colour blind, going for a lantern test soon but yea sorry guys I guess I wont be joining you after all :(

Perhaps a life as a stoker lies ahead of me who knows, ill talk it through with you ninja next thursday

2. Bad Luck Chap.

3. sgtpepperband

sgtpepperband War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

Unlucky, Physical... good positive attitude though. Let us know what happens! :thumright:

4. Don't be too hard on yourself. I'm sure the FAA will get over it.

5. Don't let it worry you Kiddo, there are plenty of jobs in the Navy where you don't need have the higher colour perception. Just remember, when onboard, there is no rear echelon, whether you are colour blind, overweight, stores,stoker or scribe, etc. all are needed we all go to war together.
    Best of luck in your new trade whatever it is.
    RoofRat

6. tiddlyoggy

tiddlyoggy War Hero Book Reviewer

Don't worry shipmate, you can now join the real navy! Be a stoker.

7. sgtpepperband

Woah there, Tiddly - he said he was colour blind, not brain-dead!!

:lol:

8. tiddlyoggy

Just as well that he doesn't want to be a crusher then! :wink:

9. Hmm, doesn't colour blindness preclude him from being a Stoker too?

10. I believe so, not being able to tell the difference between live and neutral can cause all sorts of problems...

11. tiddlyoggy

I don't know mate. I assumed that the OP did know from his comment, "perhaps life as a stoker lies ahead of me".

12. I always thought that any clolour blindness shut the door on all Engineering and Warfarey jobs in the RN, leaving basically Logistics and thats it :?

Ever thought of being a Stores type shipmate? You can order all sorts of gucci gear and then refuse to hand any of it out :D

13. sgtpepperband

Unless your name is 'mcyates' and everyone else is to blame... :oops: :lol:

Rum Ration: "The RN is Gash!"

14. Oh don't get me started again on that gash twat!

15. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

Nah, ET(ME), ET(WE), Royal Machines, Bandies, Medical Trades & Logistics are CP4.

It's graded as follows:

Colour Perception (CP)

There are four standards of colour perception graded as follows:
    Standard Test Specification. CP4 is the minimum acceptable entry standard.

CP 1
    The correct recognition of coloured lights shown through the paired apertures on the Holmes-Wright lantern at LOW BRIGHTNESS at 6 metres (20 feet) distance in complete darkness (Aircrew & Warfare Officers)

CP 2
    The correct recognition of 13 out of the first 15 plates of the Ishihara Test (24-Plate abridged Edition 1969) shown in random sequence at a distance of 75 cm under standard fluorescent lighting supplied by an artificial daylight fluorescent lamp (AETs)

CP 3
    The correct recognition of coloured lights shown through the paired apertures on the Holmes-Wright lantern at HIGH BRIGHTNESS at 6 metres (20 feet) distance in complete darkness Most Warfare Ratings & NA(SE) & NA(AH)

CP 4
    The correct recognition of colours used in relevant trade situations, and assessed by simple tests with coloured wires, resistors,
    stationery tabs etc. The riff-raff

Personnel who fail to reach the minimum standard of colour perception are to be graded CP5 - failed trade test and colour
    expanses.

Methods of testing colour perception

Ishihara test

1. Ishihara plates are used as a screening for all entries.

2. Candidates who pass the Ishihara test are graded CP2 and require no further testing except for those whose critical visual task requires a categorisation of CP1.

3.Candidates who fail the Ishihara test are further tested for CP3 or CP4 according to requirement.

CP 5 Unable to pass any of the above tests.

1. Ishihara plates are to be used as screening for all entries.

2. Candidates who pass the Ishihara test are graded CP2 and require no further testing except for those whose critical visual task requires a categorisation of CP1.

3. Candidates who fail the Ishihara test are further tested for CP3 or CP4 according to requirement.

4. The Holmes Wright Lantern is to be used to discriminate CP1 and CP3. Appropriate trade testing (normally using a wire board and stationary tabs) will discriminate between CP4 and CP5.

Ishihara Book Test

1. Examination Method:

a. The test is conducted using only good diffused daylight directly onto the test plates or the alternative illuminant, all other light being excluded.

b. The test plates are presented to the examinee at a distance of 50-100cm
    (20-40 inches) for not more than 5 seconds. The examinee may wear spectacles if appropriate. The winding line plates for illiterates normally need not be presented.

c. Each number is read aloud by the examinee. They are not allowed to trace or handle the plates.

d. The number of plates miscalled is recorded in the box on the examination form.

2. Assessment: If no error is made the examinee is graded CP2, but it should be noted that certain numbers might be miscalled by colour normals particularly when under stress. If not more than 3 plates are miscalled, the miscalled plates are shown again. If no errors are made on the second presentation, a grading of CP2 may be given.

Those failing the test will require further assessment with lanterns or trade testing to determine if their colour vision is CP3, 4 or 5.

Lantern Test

3. The Holmes-Wright Lantern Test is constructed to simulate in controlled conditions, the critical visual task of seamen. The test is usually performed by approved persons. The lantern is regarded as a form of trade test displaying pairs of vertically arranged lights in a combination of red, green and white. These are viewed at a distance of 6m (20 feet) either by direct vision or mirror reversal, in light surroundings or in total darkness as laid down in current instructions.

16. Cheers NS, you live and learn :)

17. I realise that this dit is not exactly current. Back when we where streamed into M and Ls, the where different CP standards for each stream. There where blokes who qualified as Ls but had to stay as clankys because of RED/GREEN colour blindness.
    This was of course swept under the carpet when we all became "common" a few years later.