February Pot Luck Comp

Discussion in 'Competitions' started by Ageing_Gracefully, Feb 11, 2015.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Ageing_Gracefully

Ageing_Gracefully War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

Another pot luck competition with 6 military history non fiction books up for grabs this time. As ever, all you have to do is answer the very simple questions on the Survey Monkey entry form:

The competition will run until approx midday on Sunday 22 February.

The subjects are varied, some WW1, some more modern, all very interesting so it is worth having a go.

2. Done....

3. Done...

4. Didded.

5. janner

janner War Hero Book Reviewer

6. I'm in, cheers Google

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7. In, but the third question, are you sure it was the 1st November and not the 2nd

• Like Like x 1
  8. Ageing_Gracefully

Yep! According to the link I checked with.

9. I may have got it wrong then :)

10. You did click the "all of the above", didn't you?

11. Ageing_Gracefully

Thanks to all who took part, very good number of entries, not matched by the correct answers though. Below are the names of some of the people who did get the answers correct and who were lucky enough to be drawn as winners:

ACAB
    HHH
    Maximus Acidus
    Stokers-plaything
    Bamboozler
    Grim-squeaker85

Emails have gone out to them requesting their contact details so I can send their prize book to them.

Answers:

Q1 There have been 9 'creations' of Earls of Essex i.e. they started off 9 times at #1 !!! The first Earl of Essex in 1139 was Geoffrey de Mandeville. Thomas Cromwell (1485) was actually the 6th creation.

Q2 in 1633 Sir John Hepburn was given a Royal Charter to raise a Regiment which became the 1st Regiment of Foot.

Q3 There is some difference in dates on this one but only whether Russia declared war on the 1st or 2nd November. As the battles started on 2nd November 1914 against this Empire I have taken 1st November as the Declaration. The Empire, and therefore answer, was the Ottoman Empire. Germany declared war against Russia on 1st August 1914 and Japan were actuially on our side in that war therefore Russia did not declare against them.