FB: "Sea King XV666 ‘Damien’ Visits The Navy Wings Heritage Hangar On The 50th Anniversary Of The First Flight"

soleil

War Hero
The Fly Navy Heritage Trust is the charity behind Navy Wings, working to preserve Britain’s great naval aviation heritage. It relies on public donations to support its work in maintaining, presenting and flying an unrivalled collection of historic naval aircraft.

Waspie

War Hero
The FNHT had two visitors today, Damian and Terry Martins Historic Wasp XT787. All they needed was the Flying Wessex 5 and they had full house!!

soleil

War Hero
The FNHT had two visitors today, Damian and Terry Martins Historic Wasp XT787. All they needed was the Flying Wessex 5 and they had full house!!
I saw that footage, Waspie! I love the Wasp, I was watching it fly on the footage and thought how distinctive its outline is. When you see it next to the Sea King, it looks strangely delicate.

Waspie

War Hero
Probably my favourite Wasp image.
I took this of Kim Alisons very last AS12 firing at sea. A warshot missile fired from HMS Rothesays Wasp in 1988 just prior to the Wasp leaving RN service. We were part of the Dartmouth Training Squadron at the time and we were informed NOT to bring back any AS12 missiles. (To assist in de-bombing back at Guzz of course!!).
I must add, it has taken me a very long time to accept the look of the civilianised version of the Wasp, no flotation gear and with all doors fitted. Terry Martin the owner of one of the three remaining flying Wasps wrote a great book with another ex RN pilot, Larry Jeram Croft solely about the Wasp and its forgotten service in Naval aviation. (And a few contributions by myself also included).
Untitled15.jpg

Waspie

War Hero
That's a cracking photo, Waspie! Your timing was perfect!
Thank you, I managed to get both the ignition of the booster and sustainer motors. The wires are just visible too. Don't think it would have been the same in colour!!

Waspie

War Hero
The Specs of the Mk 5 at the bottom of Soleil's link quotes the ceiling as 12,000ft. This is not the helicopters limit, this is the operational ceiling of the aircrew without oxygen. During a CTF. (Check Test Flight), my boss and I took our little Wasp up above 14500feet during a power climb. It was us that bottled it realising our limits and not wanting to push the envelope too far!!!!

Maxpowers

Lantern Swinger
Saw the wasp in flight on Monday such a cool, compact bit of kit! Did look like a heavy breeze my cause it to start going backwards though :p

Maxpowers

Lantern Swinger
The last thing I would say about a WASP is cool :) The Apache is cool and looks like a killing machine.
I was being kind, a flying shopping trolley is kinda interesting to see :D. Will agree on the apache we had one visit and it does look like the definition of death and destruction, F-35 Came tuesday, pretty sure the jockey was trying to buzz the tower, they were doing practice landing approaches, but man alive that thing screams, flew past at no more than 100ft and 5 seconds later you couldn’t hear for a minute! I thought the EF that was doing the same a few weeks back was loud.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
MoD_RSS AAIB Report: Sikorsky S-61N Sea King, damaged beyond economical repair MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: Sea king helicopters, asbestos MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: Sea king helicopters, asbestos MoD News 0
Wightsparker Final final farewell to Sea King? Current Affairs 1
MoD_RSS News story: Sea king helicopters - asbestos MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: Iconic Sea King XZ593 gifted to Falkand Islands Museum and National Trust MoD News 0
soleil IHS Jane's 360: "Royal Navy Stands Down Sea King Training Unit" The Fleet Air Arm 1
soleil Scotsman: "Sea King Helicopter In Glencoe Emergency Landing" The Fleet Air Arm 16
soleil Telegraph - Motoring: "Jaguar E-type Versus Sea King Helicopter" The Fleet Air Arm 0
scouse BBC2 - Thurs Feb 28th 2013 - "The Sea King - Britain's Flying Past" The Fleet Air Arm 39
MoD_RSS MOD awards £258 million Sea King helicopter support contract Current Affairs 0
soleil Telegraph: "MoD Awards £258 Million Sea King Contract To Agusta Westland" The Fleet Air Arm 0
DemobJob Sea King Mechanic - Falkland Islands - £35,683 The Afterlife - Resettlement and Jobs 0
DemobJob Sea King Technician req in Falkland Islands - £31k+ The Afterlife - Resettlement and Jobs 0
MoD_RSS Sea King squadron home from Helmand Current Affairs 0
MoD_RSS Navy engineers catch Black Widow spider in Sea King Current Affairs 3
MoD_RSS Sea King returns to duties after 18-month reconstruction Current Affairs 0
Waspie Bring back the Sea King/ S61's fleet. The Fleet Air Arm 1
scouse Sea King Overhead The Fleet Air Arm 0
U CULDROSE SEA KING SQUADRONS IN AFGHANISTAN Current Affairs 7
soleil "Royal Visit For Sea King Force At Culdrose" The Fleet Air Arm 0
soleil Navy News: "Farewell to the Mk6 Sea King" The Fleet Air Arm 10
soleil Sky: "End of the Iconic Yellow Sea King Chopper" The Fleet Air Arm 15
soleil RN Sea King from RNAS Culdrose rescues Spanish Fisherman The Fleet Air Arm 7
soleil RN Sea King to visit Kendal school The Fleet Air Arm 0
soleil Puma Upgrade in Romania or Sea King Upgrade in Yeovil? The Fleet Air Arm 6
S SEA KING HELICOPTER TECHS The Afterlife - Resettlement and Jobs 12
JunglyDaz The aged Sea King The Fleet Air Arm 36
MoD_RSS Recreational sea anglers are calling for greater consideration of their needs and better regulation of commercial fishing practices, says new study. MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Suspension of scallop fishing in parts of the North Sea MoD News 0
MoD_RSS New cross border byelaws to protect salmon and sea trout MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Royal Navy joins NATO allies on major maritime exercise in the Baltic Sea region MoD News 0
L Ways of communicating with family at sea Submariners 8
MoD_RSS From the sea to the door: New grant scheme to support seafood businesses in England to sell catches MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Decision on sea trout netting season extension announced MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Launch of major 'source to sea' natural flood management drive MoD News 0
W How long at sea - pilot / obs The Fleet Air Arm 3
MoD_RSS Scottish Sea Rescue Heroes receive £125k UK Government funding MoD News 0
Stirlin Ladies at sea. The Quarterdeck 1
R Pilot shore life, sea life and family life Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 7
soleil Portsmouth News: "RN Suffers 'Embarrassing' Fault With HMS Queen Elizabeth That Delayed UK Sea Trials Of F-35" The Fleet 8
MoD_RSS Disabled passengers set for more accessible journeys at sea MoD News 0
soleil PlymouthLive: "Royal Navy Weekend At Sea Features Swarm Attacks And Cream Teas" The Fleet 2
soleil Island Echo: "Ryde's Sea Cadets Looking For New Adult Leaders" SCC and URNU 0
soleil Mail: HMS Defender Seizes £3.3m Haul Of Crystal Meth From Drug Smuggler's Dhow In The Arabian Sea The Fleet 3
MoD_RSS Sea Mist report and flyer published MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Britain's second carrier sets sail for sea trials MoD News 0
T Joining as Sea Spec Joining the Royal Navy 1
MoD_RSS E3 joint statement on the situation in the South China Sea MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Speech: RUSI Sea Power Conference 15 May 2019 MoD News 0