FB: RN: Thirty Years Ago This Week - Women Deployed To Sea For The First Time

soleil

War Hero
"Thirty years ago this week, 14 women blazed a trail as they joined HMS Brilliant – and went to sea on deployment in the Royal Navy for the first time. Today there are more than 3,500 women serving full-time or as Reservists.

Women have served on the front line in Afghanistan and Iraq, in the line of fire, earning some of the highest decorations for bravery. In 2020, there is no limit to where and in what role women can serve in the RN."

D

Deleted 58790

Josephine Carr G4968 a wren shorthand typist died aboard RMS Leinster in WW1. Sunk by UB-123 that came to grief 10 days later striking a mine in the North Sea. No survivors
1/O Madeline Barclay killed in WW2 aboard HMS Fidelity. Sunk by a U boat that was later sunk by the RAF from Gibraltar No survivors
Josephine's service was short lived. Enrolled 1 October discharged dead 16 October.
Officially demobilised from London Division 25 December 1918 with Good Conduct

Last edited by a moderator:

WreckerL

War Hero
Super Moderator
Josephine Carr a wren shorthand typist died aboard RMS Leinster in WW1. Sunk by UB-123 that came to grief 10 days later striking a mine in the North Sea. No survivors
1/O Madeline Barclay killed in WW2 aboard HMS fidelity. Sunk by a U boat that was later sunk by the RAF from Gibraltar No survivors
Thus completely missing the point of the thread

Union Jack

Lantern Swinger
Whilst not disagreeing with Wrecker, I hope that I may dare to say that the intriguing story of the First Officer concerned is actually well worth following up by those interested enough to have a wee shoogle with Google.

Incidentally she was actually listed on the FIDELITY new list as Bayard, her name at birth and which was subsequently anglicised as Barclay, which is itself a name of Norman French origin.

And yes, I fully endorse Soleil's post.

Jack

Last edited:

WreckerL

War Hero
Super Moderator
Whilst not disagreeing with Wrecker, I hope that I may dare to say that the intriguing story of the First Officer concerned is actually well worth following up by those interested enough to have a wee shoogle with Google.

Incidentally she was actually listed on the FIDELITY new list as Bayard, her name at birth and which was subsequently anglicised as Barclay, which is itself a name of Norman French origin.

And yes, I fully endorse Soleil's post.

Jack
I've read her story as I already knew about her. As to robert2's post, if he cares to do some research many female members of the armed forces died at sea due to submarine and mine action, not just WRNS members, of which there were more than the two he's mentioned.

soleil

War Hero
Today marks 30 years since women started to serve at sea in the Royal Navy.

On October 8 1990, 14 women blazed a trail as they became the first females to serve as part of a ship's company, joining Type 22 Frigate HMS Brilliant. Those WRNS paved the way for a career in the Royal Navy and today there are more than 3,500 women serving full-time or as Reservists.

D

Deleted 58790

Not at all. Women were deployed to sea during WW2. I am aware of 3 of whom one perished aboard Fidelity. Fidelity is an interesting warship in more ways than one. So far as I can see she carried one or more of every WW2 FAA and General Service Branch aboard her. The FAA Memorial at Lee on Solent and the Portsmouth one confirms.
Soleil stated that women were deployed to sea for the first time some 30 years ago. That is incorrect.

Taztiff

War Hero
Not at all. Women were deployed to sea during WW2. I am aware of 3 of whom one perished aboard Fidelity. Fidelity is an interesting warship in more ways than one. So far as I can see she carried one or more of every WW2 FAA and General Service Branch aboard her. The FAA Memorial at Lee on Solent and the Portsmouth one confirms.
Soleil stated that women were deployed to sea for the first time some 30 years ago. That is incorrect.
@soleil merely posted a link to the Royal Navy site. Any inaccuracies are therefore not hers.

Also, (without fully reading up on this as I am supposed to working), is the 30th anniversary mentioned the anniversary of women (note, not WRNS) being full time members of a Ships Company as opposed to 'additional' complement?
Discuss.

And back to the spreadsheets!!

Latest Threads