FB: BBC Archive - On This Day - 1976 - Sailor

Dusty70

War Hero
#OnThisDay 1976: Sailor, a documentary about life on HMS Ark Royal, first aired.
Missed it - I was on a round the world cruise at the time courtesy of HMS Plymouth, probably saw most countries in one deployment than sundodgers in their entire careers (unless they can't tell us obviously !)

WreckerL

War Hero
Super Moderator
I'd returned from a Windies deployment and we were stuck in North Corner putting the Rusty B in to mothballs.

WreckerL

War Hero
Super Moderator
ooooh nasty - I bet there was some dodgy stuff on there in those days
I'd just done 2 years on her, asbestos filled engine and boilers rooms, lead covered wiring and more cocky's running around than you could shake a stick at.

De-storing was a bit like an Indiana Jones movie, going into dark, never used spaces deep in the bowels of the ship finding ancient treasures hidden away ;)

Dusty70

War Hero
I'd just done 2 years on her, asbestos filled engine and boilers rooms, lead covered wiring and more cocky's running around than you could shake a stick at.

De-storing was a bit like an Indiana Jones movie, going into dark, never used spaces deep in the bowels of the ship finding ancient treasures hidden away ;)
Wot.................................like Babies Heads ?????o_O