FAYE IN THE PRESS.... AGAIN!!

I hear what you're saying Maxi, and to be honest I don't know if things would be a little different all around if she had sold her story to a more discerning paper and given 25% publicly to KGFS for example. But she didn't. All I can say is that reading his comments (He isn't known for mincing his words, is he) I found myself agreeing with him.

wet_blobby

War Hero
By all accounts the wail offered more money than the scum, but she choose the scum instead...nowt to do with the scum being supportive of the Govt and the wail hating the govt then...

"the forces paper"..my arrse

Ok it has finally got through....I am now sick of the whole thing, having read the 2 articles all I want to do is get very very angry:

Angry at her for selling out - not matter what justification you offer that is what she has done

Angry at the spineless gits at MOD/Fleet/Goverment who won't admit to making the decsion to allow them to go public

Angry at the RN for letting the 15 get in that position in the first place

Angry at fact that the RN is portraid as a pathetic, whinging farce, the only saving grace to come out of this and the only people who seem to have come out of this with any credibility are the 2 officers and Royal, perhaps some people should remember that when they are slagging off the officer class. And the argument that they have more money etc is trite and pathetic.

How can any of them who have sold their story hold their heads up, I am damn sure there are alot of us who have witnessed things that we could have gone to the press with at some point but we didn't.

And having just had a perusal of QRRN these have been contraveened several times............Why isn't someone in the poo over it, or are we just going to ignore the Regs when it suits us.

With this one story and the un-edifying way it has been dealt with the RN has been publicly shamed and humiliated.

Rant over...and no I still don't feel any calmer !!!! :evil: :x

silverfox

War Hero
Book Reviewer
Obelix said:
She has told The Sun how an Iranian pointed a rocket-propelled grenade launcher at her head.
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Yes, and that's just what they'd use to kill someone, at short range and in a confined space too!

they were confused.... when someone said

'look at the size of that snatch..'

they thought they meant a landrover....

Lamri said:
I hear what you're saying Maxi, and to be honest I don't know if things would be a little different all around if she had sold her story to a more discerning paper and given 25% publicly to KGFS for example. But she didn't. All I can say is that reading his comments (He isn't known for mincing his words, is he) I found myself agreeing with him.
At the end of the day though, would his article have appeared if the Wail had got her story, and I would respectfully suggest the answer is no. Now on the other hand I suspect some wag in the Scum would have written something similar if the boot had been on the other foot, it is all just tabloid froth, Mr Littlejohn was aked by his editor to pull the Scums plonker, and being the good journo he is he did that. I am sure he could have just as easily turned ut a peice saying the exact opposite.

With her career becoming increasingly untenable, despite her quotes in today's press, the MoD had better brace itself for the constructive dismissal / stress / incorrect training litigation which is no doubt to follow. Neither the MoD or RN or infamous 15 have covered themselves in glory from start to finish (or present!).
The lure of the £££s was obviously too much to resist for a few of the team who have sold their shipmates right down the Shat Al Arab waterway.
In the times of tight finances and on the cusp of signing for the building of 2 new carriers, it all hardly helps the case of the RN's relevance in the modern world

Stillabunting said:
And having just had a perusal of QRRN these have been contraveened several times............Why isn't someone in the poo over it, or are we just going to ignore the Regs when it suits us.
Funnily enough, I've been looking through QRRNs too (1st day back from leave and not enough caffeine to deal with the e-mails yet).

QRRNS Ch 68 does say that permission should be requested to publish any article in the press etc and that no commitment should be entered into until authority has been obtained. The full text of any article should also be sent to MOD for approval.

Looking at timescales since the 15 returned safely, were these procedures actually followed (ie did they submit their articles)? If not, and the 2 individuals sold their stories without permission, have they committed an offence?

However, it is possible (and I'm not saying it actually happened) that the individuals or their representatives agreed deals with the papers without any thought for the Regs and MOD gave permission retrospectively to avoid any embarrassment.

Maxi_77 said:
At the end of the day though, would his article have appeared if the Wail had got her story, and I would respectfully suggest the answer is no. Now on the other hand I suspect some wag in the Scum would have written something similar if the boot had been on the other foot, it is all just tabloid froth, Mr Littlejohn was aked by his editor to pull the Scums plonker, and being the good journo he is he did that. I am sure he could have just as easily turned ut a peice saying the exact opposite.
I can't make up my mind whether there would've been that kind of article if she had signed up with the wail. Littlejohn just doesn't mess about, and he has in the past taken the p155 out of articles in his own paper. On the other hand, the editors word is final and if told to write a more supportive document, he would have had little choice. Although this whole sorry state of affairs reeks of tabloid hackness, I still tend to agree with what he says.

Lamri said:
Maxi_77 said:
I can't make up my mind whether there would've been that kind of article if she had signed up with the wail. Littlejohn just doesn't mess about, and he has in the past taken the p155 out of articles in his own paper. On the other hand, the editors word is final and if told to write a more supportive document, he would have had little choice. Although this whole sorry state of affairs reeks of tabloid hackness, I still tend to agree with what he says.
I am not disagreeing with what he said, rather pointing out such comments were always going to come from the loser in the cheque book journalism race. It is no credit to the Wail they appeared there, they bid for the young ladies services too, so are in reality just as much to blaim as the Scum, and Mr Littlejohns rant doesn't change that in the slightest, in fact that he works for then simply makes him another sore loser than a guardian of our morals.

The Telegraph makes a good point or two today…

Our Armed Forces serve the Queen, not Labour

Last Updated: 12:01am BST 11/04/2007

Have your say Read comments

The fiasco following the release of the service personnel captured by Iran confirms at least one suspicion: that this Government profoundly misunderstands the nature and ethos of the Armed Forces as institutions. While it has been happy, in pursuit of an at times reckless foreign policy since 1997, to send servicemen and women into conflict, it has never properly understood what this means for them, the forces and the country. The present Secretary of State for Defence, Des Browne, seems to have even less of a grasp of these fundamentals than his predecessors. That he could have allowed the 15 captured sailors and Marines to sell their stories to the media caused astonishment when announced a few days ago. On reflection, the decision - taken in full disregard of its consequences, especially for morale - is outrageous and profoundly damaging. By it, Mr Browne has done what no Minister of the Crown has ever managed to do: he has brought our Armed Forces to a point where some right-thinking people might start to hold them in contempt.

This dereliction by Mr Browne is all the more disgraceful given what was, it seems, the reason for permission being granted in the first place. There were no "exceptional circumstances" to be accounted for, whatever was said at the time: those in the Forces risk their lives for their country day in, day out. There was, though, a desire on the part of the Government to look good in the aftermath of its humiliation following the capture of the 15. The sailors and Marines were therefore enlisted as part of a despicable spin operation. Most of them, fortunately, have had the presence of mind to refuse to play this game. Those who have not should be aware that they have done themselves and the Royal Navy no favours.

As a result of the policy of the last decade, our Armed Forces are grotesquely overstretched and therefore exceedingly vulnerable. This Government has made ever more exacting demands on the Services while starving them of resources, equipping them inadequately, and presiding over a recruitment and retention crisis. The Prime Minister in particular has revelled vicariously in the heroism, professionalism and sacrifice of our servicemen and women while doing precious little to ensure that their jobs can be carried out more safely and accountably.

Parliament is in recess. When it returns next Monday, Mr Browne had better go to the Commons and give a full and honest account of what led him to sanction the selling of the captives' stories to the media. When he next faces the Commons a week today, Mr Blair should be asked what Downing Street knew about this bizarre and unprecedented interpretation of Queen's Regulations, and when. Mr Blair may not much care: he is in his last weeks in his job. Since Mr Browne manifestly understands so little about the ethos of the Services for which he is politically responsible, it might be as well if he were too.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/opinion/main.jhtml?xml=/opinion/2007/04/11/dl1101.xml

Does any one really think the account to be given by Mr Browne will be 'full and honest' as suggested in the above.

To be fair to Mr Browne I dont think many polititians including many recent Defence Ministers have understood nor cared about the ethos of the services, after all they are merely holding that position for the money and power, those who nake it happen for you are mere incidentals. The only reason Mr Browne is defence minister is that it is an important step up the ministerial tree. How much further he gets up that tree will depend on quite how well he gets himself out of this one.

Oil_Slick,

Great article from the Torygraph, absolutely spot on! The Government were hoping that FT and AB's stories would strengthen their standing against Iran. Cynically, I think they were looking to prepare the ground for a stronger stance on further sanctions/ military action on Iran.

This has back-fired on the government to a certain extent but the damage done to the RN and the rest of the military is probably irrecoverable.

You can't blame the individuals, they have not been adequately supported by the military, both in terms of prior training and subsequently, protection against their own immaturity. However, returning them to HMS Cornwall would not be in anybody's favour.

I was developing a small amount of sympathy..however the picture in the Daily Mail has now flushed that away.....!!!

When I first saw it it reminded me of all those moronic chavs you get outside magistrates course as they go in to get their ASBO's.

Bearing in mind the intense spotlight...the least that could be done is conduct herself with some modicum of respect and decorum instead of acting like a fecking halfwit!!

WarMonger said:
I was developing a small amount of sympathy..however the picture in the Daily Mail has now flushed that away.....!!!

When I first saw it it reminded me of all those moronic chavs you get outside magistrates course as they go in to get their ASBO's.

Bearing in mind the intense spotlight...the least that could be done is conduct herself with some modicum of respect and decorum instead of acting like a fecking halfwit!!
Hang on since when has Jack/Jill not accepted the intruction from above to 'go fill your boots' with anything but alacrity. The failure here is in the duty of care from above. The RN clearly wanted it's story out but has actually gone about it in the most amateur and damaging way. This could have been managed so much better.